Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: herbs are bad ...

Default herbs are bad ...

Since I know about herbs, every game I find plenty of them I abandon as I don#t enjoy the farming process, think sth like if i do waste an hour or half an hour on doing that stuff although i really prefer to play the game ...

But i also know i am real crap at adom, so i ever only got far with PC#s that did use their herb supply. It is damn handy but so bloody tedious.

baaah i don#t know, probably i have to become herb ignoring player in order to get farther again ...

Half an hour? What kind of farming do you do? When I find herbs I just gun for morgia root patches as quickly as possibly, pick a good forty-something and move on. Sometimes I get mosses of mareilon on top. Doesn't take me near half an hour usually.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Yeah, pretty much what silfir said.

Get a decent pile of morgias and you're set.
    I usually try to get some stomafillias/cemptias as a bonus if there's a patch of them nearby.

hmmmmmmmmm
    i just run on a 2x2 patch, in circles, until all of them are down to withered, then i wait, then i go on. morgia is the most important, but i take the other useful ones, too. However, with many characters i need to raise stats from say To 15, potential 20 to 25,25. I use 8 morgia for each raise (i guess that helps to also get willpower up) so i need 15*8 = 120 morgia...

maybe not half an hour, but is still seems incredibly boring ...

Play drakelings more and you won't need so many herbs Weak elves take way too much training.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Heh, that might be part of the problem - I use half that amount! 4 morgia per stat raise (BOTH toughness and willpower), 2 mosses per Dex point. Have been following that for years to perfectly sufficient effect. If course if you eat twice as many per point you also have to pick twice as many/as long.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Knievel View Post
    Since I know about herbs, every game I find plenty of them I abandon as I don#t enjoy the farming process, think sth like if i do waste an hour or half an hour on doing that stuff although i really prefer to play the game ...

But i also know i am real crap at adom, so i ever only got far with PC#s that did use their herb supply. It is damn handy but so bloody tedious.

baaah i don#t know, probably i have to become herb ignoring player in order to get farther again ...
    Try playing and orc, troll, dwarf or drakeling. You will usually start with ~20 To (close to 30 for trolls).

Eating less helps too. I use 3 morgia for regular To increase, 5 for potential increase. For Wi I take whatever comes along with that unless I'm feeling particularly scummy. Wi potential increases usually need closer to 8, in my experience, but the amount you're using is excessive for To.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Knievel View Post

Roleplay a herbiphobe whose entire life mission is to rid the Chain of plantlife.

Perhaps a wizard whose life was made miserable somehow whilst studying herbalism. Save the carpenter, get the hatchet. Kill all plants with fire and axe as soon as you see them (you might piss off a certain druid), burn all the herbs you find, ignore the wilderness for the sake of player sanity (perhaps you could roleplay burning a path through the forests by entering a wilderness square, killing all the trees, then move to next square along the way and repeat whilst heading for a new location, then ignore the wilderness after that) and use breeders, Wands of Door Creation, torches, necklaces of the eye, farsight, boost perception potions and lots of fireballs to rid the animated forest of the terrible trees... not sure how monster generation works there, you might have to drag breeders from the levels above/below and just fill the entire forest level with worms, worms, and more worms. Or boost perception to fill entire room, and leave when all trees dead, never to return.

dwarf archers need no herbs
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    dwarf archers need no herbs
    Don't they start with ~10 Dx?
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.