Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Ultimate Fighting Championship

Quote Originally Posted by vogonpoet View Post
    Ha ha, that was silly.

So, my Beastfighter died to a fairly hardcore mixed tension room between me and the downstairs on D2. Ok, shit happens, plural dark elven warriors can be hard for a level 3 PC, nevermind.

What about my archer? Damn I am the stoopid.

Pool sipping on D1. Why? Why I ask you? It was so green and tempting. I just couldn't help myself. And of course, I got snakes. And vipers. And invisibility. And more snakes. And a wish. So I am staring at the what do you wish for message, and I'm like, shit, I actually got my wish, and I have no idea what to wish for, and I don't know if I am temporarily or permanently invisible.

Can you wish for visibility? Do I even want to? Maybe some 7LBs? Kinda redundant on a raven born archer though, for this challenge. In the end, I wish for red dragon scale mails and get 13 PV for my pains. Not to bad, but which firey monster was I afraid of? Why not eternium plates? Or humanoid slaying ammo? Or white dragon scale even?

Anyway, it was all for nothing, cos at turn 2000 I was still invisible, so I was forced to quit in disgust.
    Why not fucking visibility?

/Ridiculous.
    /Incidentally, I think that's the first time I ever got vipers - normally its just snakes snakes snakes.
    yeah WDSM would be great, or wands, like death/fireballs/paralyzation/poison/stunning/webbing, or potions with disable features, darkness source..

Strong: high elven archer named Aerosol (raven starsign)
    Haven't played this one yet.
    Average: trollish healer named Tavros (unicorn starsign)
    - Got lucky, his twentieth fight was against Ripclaw
    21: orc chieftain
    22: lizard man
    23: steel zombie. I'd never noticed that those punch through armor. This fight and any future ones were fought true berserker style (because the only PV came from thick gloves at this point anyway) and the audience got an eyefull.
    24: tarantula
    25: doppleganger lord
    26: harpy
    27: giant lizard
    28: ratling archer
    29: orc
    30: black wizard, summoned hellhounds and giant bats before I took him out.
    31: fire drake
    32: stone giant
    33: berserker king, who got a stunning critical in and won on the next turn, proving once and for all that he was the better berserker. Oh well.
    Weak: drakish bard named Hurl (wolf starsign). Starting skills include Find Weakness.
    - Died to the ogre magus.
    Last edited by Siriah; 07-20-2010 at 09:43 PM.

Archer should wish for tower eternium shields, of course.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I finally got round to creating my characters.

Strong: Hurthling elementalist (was going to pick archer again, but birthsign was tree)
    St: 7 Le:16 Wi:16 Dx:16 To:16 Ch:15 Ap:11 Ma:11 Pe:11
    DV/PV: 12/3 H: 22(22) P: 16(16) Exp: 1/0 M: 0

Average: Troll Paladin
    St:25 Le: 8 Wi:15 Dx: 9 To:24 Ch:10 Ap: 7 Ma:12 Pe: 7
    DV/PV: 10/5 H: 31(31) P: 6(6) Exp: 1/0 M: 0

Weak: Drakeling bard (heir)
    St:17 Le:12 Wi:21 Dx:15 To:16 Ch:13 Ap:12 Ma:12 Pe:12
    DV/PV: 12/0 H: 26(26) P: 10(10) Exp: 1/0 M: 0

My hurthling elementalist had a potion of toughness, which I drank. This also had the effect of making me bloated, which was a bit inconvenient when ambushed by undead. Paralyzed and killed by a ghul.

My troll paladin made it to about the sixth arena fight, where he was paralyzed and killed by a ghul.

Only the weak one left now.

good luck, dont forget to do spit-run.

The drakeling bard did it. Opponents:

20 Li-Han-Kay

21 bulette
    22 least daemon
    23 cave lizard
    24 giant spider
    25 owlbear

26 ghost lord
    27 fire drake
    28 hyena
    29 giant frog
    30 troll berserker

31 orc scorcher
    32 werewolf
    33 cave lion
    34 corpse fiend
    35 wight

36 giant bat
    37 corruptor
    38 large jackal
    39 bandit
    40 cave lizard

41 ghost lord
    42 large rust monster
    43 giant rust monster
    44 water grue
    45 cave lizard

46 lizard man
    47 hill giant chieftain
    48 animated armor
    49 cave lizard
    50 troll chief

The giant rust monster and water grue were difficult, but nothing compared to the animated armor. Because of its high PV, I could only rarely even scratch it. I entered the arena with over 200 cooked lizard. After I ate it all and spat at the armor, it was critically injured. With no alternatives left, I took my seven league boots off and true berserked it with the gladius (normal berserk didn't do enough damage). After a couple of misses and failures to hurt, I finally landed a strike that was enough to kill the armor. I lost most of my HP doing it. There were some scary moments in the final fight as well, since the troll chief threw rocks at me. When I killed him, I had only 15 HP left and no prayers.

I noticed that the ratling traders appear to restock even if you haven't bought their stock. After my marathon fight with the animated armor, I talked to two bat traders and they had over 400 and 600 fried bats to sell.

epiccccccccc
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Bard-->heir seems like a not so weak combo after all
    7lbs are an interesting bonus for hit and retreat tactics inside the confined arena, and most of the wilderness encounters can be peaceful with a bit of music.
    Good tough fights there meh...

Well, finally have time to play myself, but I have zero confidence in my ability to do well this time. Ah well, only playing for fun, so here goes nothing...

Average: Salamander Dark Elven Priestess named 'LOL'
    Starts with Le 16, Ma 24, and THREE spellbooks (Bless, Cure Light Wounds and Dispel Undead - well, could be worse). Also starts with 9 To

First door on D1 exploded on me - thought it was a bad omen until I found Divine Wrath in the next room Got to arena level fine and a wererat granted me Freezing Fury! Went back a level to explore more and almost didn't make it on time - started the first arena fight on turn 1986 :/ Found some rocks and a bloody dagger though Level 7, 45 HP.

A few fights in got me an adamantium ring - I now do 2d3+13 damage, with Find Weakness and a +crit dagger on top. Damn do I wish I had darkness... No trouble getting to the champion fight, but I took the precaution of covering the whole arena floor with coins before the fight. Got... Ripclaw, with a fearsome speed of 141 :/ The coins did their trick, and he never got a hit on me as I lightning bolted him and lured him over the money, hahaha

You hear the cries of the crowd: "LOL! LOL! LOL!"

Okay, post-champion fights now... Must admit, I'm a little torn over ditching my bloody dagger, but the extra PV and speed from the gladius are a bit too much to let go of. My fights:

21. Troll berserker (lightning bolted)
    22. Hydra (argh, forgot to rest to restore PP! Ran around a bit until I could bolt it bad)
    23. Ratling duellist (bolted)
    24. Hippogriff (sliced open)
    25. Wererat (milked a bit and trained the sword)
    26. Crystal statue (eep, bolted)
    27. Orc (meleed, though he was surprisingly tough)
    28. Hobgoblin
    29. Ratling archer
    30. Skeletal warrior (dispelled)
    31. Large orc
    32. Leucrotta (restored my messed up coin collection and then chopped the beast up)
    33. Ogre lord (bolted)
    34. Doppelganger (bolted)
    35. Large jackal
    36. Dark elven archer
    37. Ghul
    38. Frost giant berserker (run and bolting, now level 9 with 51 HP!)
    39. Ratling master thief
    40. Dire wolf
    41. Wolf
    42. Chaos spider
    43. Ghul
    44. White baby dragon (left a corpse!)
    45. Ochre jelly (bolted before he multiplied)
    46. Ratling duellist
    47. Lizard man
    48. Outlaw
    49. Water grue (he got an extremely poisonous hit in before I froze him - had to keep casting CLW to survive after the fight, as the poison courses were doing around 30 damage. Took about 900 turns for it to wear off.)
    50. Hill orc sergeant (died in two bolts and brought me to level 10)

Bah, that was way too easy. I got lucky with spellbooks again, and this time the coins helped save my ass against tough opponents (especially Ripclaw, who was far faster than I). I was really hoping for a moloch to show up, cause with Ice Ball I could have easily earned the title Moloch Slayer. As it was the toughest opponent was a measly grue...

Ah well, hopefully my strong and weak chars will offer more of a challenge.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!