Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: very exploitive bug

Default very exploitive bug

rolled male troll mindcrafter, auto-name on, headed for teryno droped all items on a square then saved game. then rolled another male troll, wizzard, started in teryno and saw all stuff droped from previous char. saved again. made new male troll, bard class, and again started from teryno with all previouos stuff. saved. when ive tried loaded game, there was only one char in the list, mindcrafter, with all the equpement from all generated chars on the fluor. and its repetitive, ive could just roll male trolls merchants to infinity and drop everything, for him to collect.. is this known bug, have anyone noticed or tried this? i presume it has to do something with the same name of characters, and adoms inabillty to distinguish same name characters.
    Last edited by mackthaknife; 07-21-2010 at 05:32 PM.

I've never heard of such a bug and i've tried to replicate it in my adom winbeba4 and couldn't. Are you sure this is accurate?
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

absolutely, tried it few times, and worked. try like this: set auto naming on, generate any character. enter teryno, drop everything, and equipped too, on the entering square. move your char one square to the right. save. make new char same gender race with different class. do the same: enter, drop, move, save. do this few times, and load character. anything?

I can't get this to work in winbeta either. If I have a PC with the same name as in the .cfg, it just loads that game automatically without even giving the option of making a new PC.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I got it to work, but i think i'm using the DOS binary. In this version, the naming of the character is the absolute last step of character creation. If at that point you manually enter a name of an existing character, the game refuses, but the predefined names produced by the Allow_Default_Names option apparently slip past the check.

Better enter this into the bug database, since for the binaries where it works, the bug is pretty damn severe.

yeah, only works if you allow Allow_Default_Names option.
    rather abusable thing.

Ah, ok, I misunderstood exactly what you were doing. Following the steps you suggest seems to just crash winbeta for me. As Pumpernickel said, probably an effect that depends on the specifics of the binary, like the name buffer bug discussed a couple months back.

Incidentally, when you do this, what class does your PC end up as?
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

ends up with first character class created.
    looks like im not up to date, havent catch that thread.

Just testing on Linux version. Bug occurs. Very exploitable. Especially with wizards and their starting books, merchants too.

Edit: Got this on third character:

Fatal error:
    "Body part #2 is already in use."
    Which crashed ADOM, obviously.

Edit 2: Seems I can't do this any more (at least with this character). I can still restore the game, though.
    Last edited by BlkDucky; 07-28-2010 at 11:18 PM.
    Gate closers: (ImmaNinja Level 44 Drakish Monk);
    Ultras: Maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
    I was hoping for additional insight, especially as to the connection to alcoholic beverages insofar as non-consensual sexual relations with insects are concerned. Alas, my hopes were in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkDucky View Post
    Just testing on Linux version. Bug occurs. Very exploitable. Especially with wizards and their starting books, merchants too.

Edit: Got this on third character:

Which crashed ADOM, obviously.

Edit 2: Seems I can't do this any more (at least with this character). I can still restore the game, though.
    ahhhh, I now understand why you get the error "body part in use" when creating characters with autonames. I've always wondered that when trying to generate multiple characters with the same name.

So, generally, you don't have to go to Terinyo - I've just made three dark elf rangers in quick succession just taking off the equipment every generation. Now I have a turn 3 dark elf ranger with 3 elven chain mails in the inventory, 3 light cloaks, 3 pairs of boots, 6 scimitars, 3 loaves of spider bread and perhaps triple the amount of starting money.

EDIT: yes, the money seems to add up. Make some merchants with "Filthy Rich" and have a good time.

Also, this works on Adom Sage.
    Last edited by zasvid; 07-28-2010 at 11:45 PM.