Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fate catches my Grey Elf

Default Fate catches my Grey Elf

So in a misguided attempt to finally win this silly game, I've resorted to using the "default names" bug and loading up before starting. I don't go all crazy, but I'll typically grab some elven chainmail, several stat potions, some of helpful scrolls and wands and rings, and quite a few spell books for a wizard run.

I had a fairly good start this time. Made it through the UD without serious incident. No major herb patches, no pools, but good experience and a battle axe of devastation. Right into the CoC next. Took care of the first 15 or so arena opponents. Found my morgia and moss for the run, and, lo and behold, a surge of power before the SI. Poon the quickling had Preserver wrapped around his scrawny neck. Took a while to bring him down, but a wizard with lots of firebolts is not going to be denied.

I think Preserver was probably what led to my early death though. Got my first quest for a chaos brother. He took his time showing up in the big room. I got to practice my fireball a bit on some spiders. Next--down to see what's on the other side of that mysterious forest. Just a few little problems: no teleport on demand, no knock, and I got sick from a pool. I thought being sick would be a bonus for bumping up stats. Between that and Preservers I certainly got all the First Aid practice I could want. It just hadn't occurred to me that having my HP hovering around 25 would be a big problem if I was careful.

Mr Ceiling Acid Trap said "not today, my friend." End of story.

Next time I get sick in that situation I'll just nurse myself in D-Town.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellun View Post
    So in a misguided attempt to finally win this silly game, I've resorted to using the "default names" bug and loading up before starting. I don't go all crazy, but I'll typically grab some elven chainmail, several stat potions, some of helpful scrolls and wands and rings, and quite a few spell books for a wizard run.
    Very misguided... No one would really recognise a victory based on that. I'd personally say if you want to learn the game use the traditional method of save-scumming to get more experience. Also, use drakelings or gnomes - grey elves are far too weak unless you find herbs very early.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Don't get hung up and winning and enjoy playing, or more precisely, learning - by trial and error. You'll win if you do.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I really don't get why people use that sad, miserable bug. Why not just load up AdomBot and paste in a WoW with 10000 charges? Then you can screw around however the hell you want. Well, of course, it isn't a respectable win, but I wouldn't consider it any less respectable than a default name bug-win or a save scummed win.

> I've resorted to using the "default names" bug

>> use the traditional method of save-scumming

If you are a player that doesn't mind spoilers (and I assume you aren't,
    as you don't mind bug abuse), just log on to irc and ask questions there.
    Freenode is definitely the place to go, #adom
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

irc.freenode.net
    #adom

I have become semi-active on the IRC again and I would be more than willing to corrupt your soul with spoily information to help you defeat the forces of chaos.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Quote Originally Posted by Fellun View Post

I had a fairly good start this time. Made it through the UD without serious incident. No major herb patches, no pools, but good experience and a battle axe of devastation. Right into the CoC next. Took care of the first 15 or so arena opponents. Found my morgia and moss for the run, and, lo and behold, a surge of power before the SI. Poon the quickling had Preserver wrapped around his scrawny neck. Took a while to bring him down, but a wizard with lots of firebolts is not going to be denied.

I think Preserver was probably what led to my early death though. Got my first quest for a chaos brother. He took his time showing up in the big room. I got to practice my fireball a bit on some spiders. Next--down to see what's on the other side of that mysterious forest. Just a few little problems: no teleport on demand, no knock, and I got sick from a pool. I thought being sick would be a bonus for bumping up stats. Between that and Preservers I certainly got all the First Aid practice I could want. It just hadn't occurred to me that having my HP hovering around 25 would be a big problem if I was careful.

Mr Ceiling Acid Trap said "not today, my friend." End of story.

Next time I get sick in that situation I'll just nurse myself in D-Town.
    I don't see how...?
    Gate closers: (ImmaNinja Level 44 Drakish Monk);
    Ultras: Maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir
    I was hoping for additional insight, especially as to the connection to alcoholic beverages insofar as non-consensual sexual relations with insects are concerned. Alas, my hopes were in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by BlkDucky View Post
    I don't see how...?
    The RNG is alive.
    Yeah, I think it is much better to use save scumming. If you save scum, you still experience what it is like to play the game somewhat normally.

Play overpowered PCs. A dwarf archer with some short bows and a healthy stack of arrows from milking roving barbarians in the plains is pretty much guaranteed to win.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Quote Originally Posted by fazisi View Post
    Play overpowered PCs. A dwarf archer with some short bows and a healthy stack of arrows from milking roving barbarians in the plains is pretty much guaranteed to win.
    A beastfighter is pretty much guaranteed to win too ^^. As a carefully played wizzie.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game