Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: adom is boring

I am curious if milking barbarians for arrows would be considered grinding. I would see doing it to every single barbarian in game to be considered grinding, but to do it once in the wilderness to get an initial pile of arrows would be on the same level of grinding as leading Yergis to Jharod, imho.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Quote Originally Posted by Cash View Post
    i never* grind and i only get herbs if its convenient... I always start the game the same way though. I get the blanket, kill the raider lord, i do PC, and then i do druid/healer quest before i go to the CoC.

*i have done it a few times.
    Personally if I go down the UD I rarely go back to terinyo in the early game. Only reason I ever do PC is for the vault because I find vaults/greater vaults exciting. If I need healing/herbalism I'll usually do that first then try for the UD because the risk makes it more fun. However I tend to get disheartened, and usually completely forget about the char, after I complete the tower and dive down the CoC only to find no greater vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by fazisi View Post
    I am curious if milking barbarians for arrows would be considered grinding. I would see doing it to every single barbarian in game to be considered grinding, but to do it once in the wilderness to get an initial pile of arrows would be on the same level of grinding as leading Yergis to Jharod, imho.
    Leading Yrrigs to Jharod is a quest, and is in-character. It is something that would make sense to do in the game's universe.

Milking arrows on the other hand doesn't make much sense roleplay-wise and is, after all, exploiting flaws in game mechanics. You know that monsters don't have inventories and that if you keep running around, barbarians will generate arrows for you, so you milk them.

Milking arrows is also a repetitive, low-risk process. The Yrrigs quest is not repetitive and can require some skill for low-level characters.

So in my opinion, milking arrows is clearly grinding, and the quest isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    only PC I can think of that can win with absolutely no grinding
    would be a dwarf archer.
    Why dwarf?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

The UD is my favourite place to start a normal game. Good deal of risk and (usually) very nice rewards for a new PC. Lotsa fun. Might not be for all classes but I find very many make it through ok. The village dungeon is by far the most boring in the whole game and should be avoided at all cost.

Quote Originally Posted by blob View Post
    The UD is my favourite place to start a normal game. Good deal of risk and (usually) very nice rewards for a new PC. Lotsa fun. Might not be for all classes but I find very many make it through ok. The village dungeon is by far the most boring in the whole game and should be avoided at all cost.
    what rewaRds? between farming opn VD7 and doing PC vault you probably get better stuff with less risk.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

It's a great place to find early herbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    what rewaRds? between farming opn VD7 and doing PC vault you probably get better stuff with less risk.
    Herbs are very common and shops are more frequent. Just good stuff in general, the PC vault is not bad for stuff but I don't agree it's as good. Besides, there's no element of surprise, i.e. not as much fun. To me at least.

>> would be a dwarf archer.

> Why dwarf?

Ammo. It is scumming to milk mobs for ammo, even w5'ing on PC:2 is too, really.
    Dwarf archers have good enough toughness, PV, and weapon proficiency to hold
    their own as melee PC's, using ammo to beat only the toughest mobs.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

A drakeling wizard can do it too. I have won with almost no scumming, so I think I could probably do it with absolutely no scumming. In fact I think I'm going to try.