Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A quick autumn contest

Default A quick autumn contest

While we're hoping the server will return, here is a small challenge game to pass the time.

This is basically a one player version of the weakest link game, with some modifications. You have much fewer turns per level, and instead of a random character, I hand-picked one that shouldn't favour any particular playing style too much.

Rules:
    Load the save provided here. Rename the character and enter the ID. In the ID, you may never take the up stairs for any reason. You may spend no more than 500 turns on any level. If you reach SIL, you have an unlimited time to get the Sceptre, but may not leave the level. No abuse of game bugs is allowed.

Ranking:
    Getting the sceptre is the top achievement. If more than one player can achieve this, then the number of turns used (counting from the start of the game) is used as a tie-breaker. Otherwise, players are ranked by the dungeon level reached. If there is a tie, then the turn count when arriving on that particular level decides the order. Fewer turns is of course better in both cases.

Reporting:
    Keep record of the turn count when entering each level. Use the turn count displayed after descending, i.e. 13 for level 1. This will help in making sure you don't break the 500 turn limit and also in determining the ranking. You are encouraged to report anything of note that happens during the game, to make the reports more interesting to read. At the very least, you should tell how you died or ran out of turns. IMO, we can keep both reports and general discussion in this one thread.

Deadline:
    Exactly two weeks from the time of this post.

The character:
    A male hurthling paladin born in the month of book. Starting talents are alert and hardy.
    Attached Files Attached Files

List of players:

I24
    zsomkovacs - Killed along with his werewolf lord friend by a wall beast

I10
    Mogri - Slain by an orc butcher
    Soirana - Stuck between ettins and spiders
    moomoo - Killed by a large spider

I8
    JellySlayer - Killed by a trapped door

I6
    gekko - Poisoned
    gut - Slowed by a stone snake with deadly results

I5
    fazisi - Poisoned by spiders
    meh - In need of a map

I4
    Grey - Stoned to death by a goblin
    _Ln_ - Disarmed and killed
    Molach - Killed by a flying axe

I3
    Python - Stranded by a river
    CheatMan - Carried away and lost track of time

I2
    Arctic - Burnt by a book of hellish flames
    Al-Khwarizmi - Delayed by secret doors

I1
    breeolson - Stoned to death by a trap
    Last edited by meh; 09-25-2010 at 08:27 PM.

class sucks honestly.

i10 4457 turns 9760xp...

looks like used all my ID luck in past. nearly got killed on I7 than towards end of 500 turns realised i need to cross large snake room....[bye bye prayers]

On I10 i got stuck between ettins [threat room] and spider factory [priestess]. Killed one ettin to free uppercorridor and run as rabbit just to find upper left corner is already infested with spiders...

Sucks to be me. On other hand nearly everyone can beat me up and pick good emotions...
    Last edited by Soirana; 09-11-2010 at 07:29 PM.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

That should only add to the challenge, right?

EDIT: Essentially, this is sort of an Iron Man challenge with rules that make instakills of unluckily hard-to-cross levels. I think it's more fun to use genuine Iron Man rules - it's hard enough to do without an extra game over condition.

As far as Iron Man variants go, I'd probably go for the one that lets you finish current fights and collect loot after spotting the stairs.

Personally I think random characters are more fun - it's not like you will get a lot of balance out of having the same r/c combo, given that the levels themselves are completely random. And I don't think I'd enjoy the bookkeeping, honestly. Isn't it enough to report the final turncount?
    Last edited by Silfir; 09-11-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Sounds fun - I'm in.

Edit: Started, entered dungeon, renamed char to "Zero".

Bah, stupid. Got killed on I4 by a chaos brother whilst I was milking a rockthrower. 1767 turns (I was keeping to the 500 limit very tightly), level 6, 3949 xp, 2051 points. Ack, and looking at the high score I see it was the rockthrower that actually got in the last hit - shameful
    Last edited by Grey; 09-11-2010 at 08:01 PM.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Got killed by stone block trap on I1.
    Random r/c classes interest me more. I agree that regular iron man rules are fun. Having a "normal" character is boring, and the random characters make it more interesting.

Don't mind the haters. Was fun while it lasted.

Got killed by a large spider at I10.
    3915 points, 4179 xp and level 7.

500 turns is rough tho Rushing a weakling like that is great.

the stone snake punches through your armor and hits you!
    you suddenly slow down!

I6 mixed tension room turn 1531 xp: 6/2796
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I am not even going to attempt this. Between turn restrictions and weakling r/c combo, I would predict a death between I:5 and I:7.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

I can understand those preferring a random character. I first considered that, but then decided it would be best to use someone with healing. Swimming would also be important. And literacy. Soon I had such a restricted list of options, that I figured I might as well just pick one particular character for everyone. And I wouldn't really call a hurthling with 5 PV a weakling.

Anyway, it seems that I have become a victim of my own strict rules. The room with the stairs down from I5 were hidden with a non-obvious point of entrance. I didn't find it in time.