Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doors are locked from both ways

There is one lock, but eight keyholes...

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    You also can't unlock a door with just a pick either... you need a tension wrench too.
    The item is thieves' picks, technically, and any lockpicking set will come with the tension wrench.

And if you can unlock a lock with a pen lid, you can probably do it with other things that aren't picks... it just depends on the lock. Not to mention lock bumping!

"Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Hahaha wow my mind just exploded. I was sitting in the Library too and burst out laughing! You can imagine how hard this was to explain to a non ADOM player.

Is a door both an entrance and an exit? Do you go out of the door or into the door? Do you go out of the door into the room, or into the door from out of the room? Which room is the door really in?
    The door is locked. You don't have any appropriate key to unlock the door. The door suddenly falls in your direction! You are not nimble enough to evade the door. Your blessed fireproof blanket is crushed! Your blessed waterproof blanket is crushed! Damn you crushable blankets!

You were probably joking, but doorways are part of the room they lead into.

They are also a deathtrap for players relying on darkness...

> Is a door both an entrance and an exit?

Don't forget pedastal, it has to be a pedastal as well, as you can
    stand upon one when it is either closed or opened.

> Do you go out of the door or into the door?

It seems that 'upon' and 'through' trump 'in' and 'out' for adom doors.

> Do you go out of the door into the room, or into the door from out of the room?

Clearly once dismounts from them in either direction

> Which room is the door really in?

Any, just so long as it isn't a hallway.

I'm having way too much fun with this door thing.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
    You were probably joking, but doorways are part of the room they lead into.
    Yes, but what about when you are leaving the room you just entered? Is the door then a part of the room into which you are going? But wasn't it just part of the room that you are now standing in?

I am curious to know which room the door swings open into, but yet in ADOM doors don't swing in either room, it becomes a 'pedestal' to use gut's word. If you drop things on the ground then the door can't close, not even a blanket!

This is really pushing my imagination to the limit.
    The door is locked. You don't have any appropriate key to unlock the door. The door suddenly falls in your direction! You are not nimble enough to evade the door. Your blessed fireproof blanket is crushed! Your blessed waterproof blanket is crushed! Damn you crushable blankets!

gut, you gotta include the 500 W flashlight above the door in your pic. It is always on, but if surrounded in Darkness it can be so blinding as to make the player unable to see what's on the spot (including himself). regular dungeon creatures are used to this and can use the light reflected from themselves to see adventurers standing close to the spot.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

the great door mystery
    once the physicists produce supertheory of supereverything they won't become useless. still something to solve ;-)
    When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!