Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: The Weakest Link '09: General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    -easier connectivity from certain locations (especially America)
    Wonderful.</sarcasm>
    I just hope that this doesn't mean "worse connectivity from Europe". Ok, for some people this is actually good, but not for me.

-no netsplits
    Those don't happen too often. Still, might be a plus.

-server control functions
    A big, fat minus. I really don't like this.

-probably other cool stuff jaakkos will play around with
    Please not.

Also, does jaakkos' server have the uptime IRCNet has?
    Last edited by Epythic; 05-19-2009 at 02:12 PM.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    Wonderful.</sarcasm>
    I just hope that this doesn't mean "worse connectivity from Europe". Ok, for some people this is actually good, but not for me.
    On the contrary - the server is in Finland. Apparently IRCNet is fussy about connections in general though. UK and US connections can have trouble. A dedicated server makes life much easier, and shouldn't have lag from any corner of the globe.

Those don't happen too often. Still, might be a plus.
    You probably don't notice netsplits as much as people from some countries. In particular UK/NL netsplits are very frequent.

A big, fat minus. I really don't like this.
    Since everyone is given op status it doesn't really matter. The main bonus is we can have channel topics There's perhaps the possibility of adding in bots and such later (a bit like some of the ones currently present in the #adom channel on IRCNet). And to be 100% clear there will be no kicking or banning, unless someone is actually trying to hack the server or something.

Also, does jaakkos' server have the uptime IRCNet has?
    It's the same server as is used for the actual game server, in case that wasn't clear. Its last uptime was around 152 days. Power faults can happen though, which is why he's very generously investing in a backup UPS.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

On the contrary - the server is in Finland. Apparently IRCNet is fussy about connections in general though. UK and US connections can have trouble. A dedicated server makes life much easier, and shouldn't have lag from any corner of the globe.
    Ah.

You probably don't notice netsplits as much as people from some countries. In particular UK/NL netsplits are very frequent.
    Ah.

Since everyone is given op status it doesn't really matter. The main bonus is we can have channel topics There's perhaps the possibility of adding in bots and such later (a bit like some of the ones currently present in the #adom channel on IRCNet). And to be 100% clear there will be no kicking or banning, unless someone is actually trying to hack the server or something.
    What, I must not try to hack the server. Oh :/

It's the same server as is used for the actual game server, in case that wasn't clear. Its last uptime was around 152 days. Power faults can happen though, which is why he's very generously investing in a backup UPS.
    It was clear that it was the same server, I just wasn't sure how stable it runs. 152 days is more than I expected, and more than enough

Ok, maybe this is really a good idea. At least you convinced me.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

We are waiting on the following people to give their placements preferences for the semi-finals:

koctyxa
    Covenant
    Thing
    PeanutGod
    quik
    meh

Once that is done the semi-final leagues will begin in earnest!

I will make two new leagues for the semis announcing the splits and what the character shall be. Players will get 24 hours to vote for the initial talents for their character. After that is done I will generate the character and announce the playing order.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Update: Watch Recorded Games on Server

Thanks to the magic of jaakkos all of the games player on the server are now automatically recorded! You can rewatch any game that has been played by logging in as ttyrecplay/ttyrecplay on the server.

To find and play a file follow these instructions:

1. Press 1 or 2 or 3 to get a list of demos.
    2. Press '/' followed by a search term (eg player's name) to find a specific file.
    3. Copy file name (in putty just highlight and ctrl+C).
    4. Press 'q' to return to main menu.
    5. Press 4 and paste in the file name (rick-click and choose Paste in Putty).

During playback you can press +/- to speed up or slowdown the display.

If there's any problems raise them here or on the IRC channel.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer