Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some questions because I suck at this game

Default Some questions because I suck at this game

I have ended up with cursed equipment in almost every slot and I am only level 8
    I really want to find a way to remove those equipment because I got better equipment for the slots
    That and How do I kill a giant slug?
    It's acid always kill me and I never seem to do enough damage

Quote Originally Posted by Vibhor View Post
    I have ended up with cursed equipment in almost every slot and I am only level 8
    I really want to find a way to remove those equipment because I got better equipment for the slots
    The general idea about monsters that you can't kill is to run from them (if you are able to do it of course). Probably you can kill it with wands, true-berserking, traps or other unusual methods, but that means you spend your resources (hp, wand charges etc.) that can save you later, when you are not able to run from something. In ADoM you can take chances of course, but often that will lead to death and death is permanent.

To get uncursed you will require three things (two or one if you're lucky). First, you need to recover your piety (it's your god who cursed you, I guess). Second, you need a potion of water. Third, you need a scroll of uncursing. You drop water on the altar, it gets blessed, you dip a scroll in it and read it. Voila.
    Of course, you can skip piety part if you happen to find initially holy (blessed) water and you can skip water part if you happen to find initially blessed scroll of uncursing.

Save Keethrax for later, when you're powerful enough to deal with the slugs. You should get acid resistance. Did you know you can get it from corpses of giant ants?

As for the cursed equipment, a blessed scroll of uncursing is the quickest way. If it's a weapon you need to get rid off, let yourself get disarmed, or let it be rusted away by a rust monster (but you might get killed in the process). If you have any prayers left, you can use them to get an item uncursed, but only if you're at full HP. That is, of course, if you didn't get your stuff cursed by an angry deity.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Save Keethrax for later, when you're powerful enough to deal with the slugs. You should get acid resistance. Did you know you can get it from corpses of giant ants?

As for the cursed equipment, a blessed scroll of uncursing is the quickest way. If it's a weapon you need to get rid off, let yourself get disarmed, or let it be rusted away by a rust monster (but you might get killed in the process). If you have any prayers left, you can use them to get an item uncursed, but only if you're at full HP. That is, of course, if you didn't get your stuff cursed by an angry deity.
    Okay.Keethrax skipped but I am illiterate and I found the cursed stuff from the infinite dungeon
    I have 3 scrolls of uncursing but no altar nearby
    To find an altar I would have to go to dwarven city but I am way too weak
    And where to get those ant's corpses?

don't test stuff by wearing in, rather log around with it till you spot an alter

Have you ever spoken to the tiny girl?

Also, to modify Sian's advice, you should only wear stuff you don't know is cursed or not if it's good. For instance, if you find a tower shield weighing 240 stones, you know it's a crystal tower shield, and it rocks your socks off through the entire early game; you wouldn't want to unequip it if you could. Same goes, on the whole, for all items with unusual weights, unless you happen to already own kickass pieces of equipment for the slot in question.

And when it comes to body armor, don't "try out" anything below studded leather, and never try out anything that is worse than your current stuff anyway.

Knowing the risks of equipping things and when it is worth it is a science in and of itself. As a rule of thumb, only ever "try out" anything if there's a good chance (80+&#37 it will improve your overall equipment, as in armor rating, to-hit or damage.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Which tiny girl is in question here?
    The one which gives the puppy cave quest?
    If yes then no I haven't

More spoily thoughts on equip identification of status unknown items:

1/ Unless you have at least one way of getting rid of a cursed item:
    a. Don't fuck around with 10 s gauntlets.
    b. Don't screw around with 30 s worn boots, no matter how exciting they look, honestly, cursed ones suck.
    c. Don't piss around with hard girdles whilst already strained!
    d. Don't felch around with black rings you don't like the look of.

2/ Never have a fashion show, strutting your stuff in random armours, inside a shop.

And yeah, if you keep dying to *random monster*, then start running away from *random monster*, and come back much later when you are more buffed up (if *random monster* hits you down to low HP levels, the coward tactic (F7) makes you run away faster.

Also useful for running away: carry less crap, and eat small meals, often, rather than pigging out on stoma pie and having to waddle around everywhere bloated.

There is only one tiny girl. Don't try to save her daft puppy, but do explore its cave.

And where to get those ant's corpses?

Which tiny girl is in question here?
    The one which gives the puppy cave quest?
    If yes then no I haven't
    Ten chars.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

As Silfir said, the best way to avoid cursed get is simply not to equip everything you find. When you're a beginner, it isn't always easy to tell which items should or should not be equipped in advance, but you'll find as you play, you'll be able to recognize what the "normal stats" for a given item are--so that, say you find a hand axe, you know that it's probably (1d6), and isn't worth equipping unless all you've got is a 1d4 dagger (even then, still probably not). Ditto for armor. If you are desperate to remove cursed gear, drop all non-cursed items, and pray a couple times. Eventually, your deity will get pissed and destroy all of your equipped gear. I'd only do this if 1) you're on bad terms with your deity anyway or 2) you get stuck with a really bad cursed item to be removed, or have a really good item that needs to be equipped. For normal purposes a blessed scroll of uncursing works well. You may want to consider playing an (high/grey) elf or dwarf priest. They start with good armor and the 'detect item status' skill that will auto-identify the bless/curse status of items when you pick them up. If you're still trying to figure out what everything does, this might be a nice way to do it.

Giant slugs are vulnerable to fire. They're also very, very slow. You should be able to kill them with missiles as long as you've got a bit of room--just stand offset from them by one row, shoot at them. Once they get on the same row as you, move up and diagonal to create some space.

Code:
    F......
    ....@..
    Shoot him in this situation

Code:
    .F..@..
    Here you want to move in the '9' direction (up-right) to keep off the same row.

Keethrax is tough to kill at level 8, so I wouldn't be spending much time on that floor anyway. In general, if you're dying a lot in one area, it probably means that you shouldn't be there right now What race/class do you normally play?
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.