Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Public Free ADOM Server

Fixed the bug reported by gut, first post updated with new details. Small improvements done here and there.

@koeteren: this is a bug with PuTTy, I have updated the first post with details on fixing these types of issues.
    Last edited by Moult; 10-11-2010 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    hmm, I wonder how to reload my save game...
    Hah, that's what you got for abusing herbs (and just to avoid some bad ideas - it wasn't me who screwed up the save ).

Haven't seen it in the bugs, so I'll mention it - yesterday (sitting under Windows and using PuTTY) I got thrown into gut's session (it was only active atm) after I saved my char and answered 'y' about saving my session AND I also got thrown in it after I entered 'q' command in the main screen. After that I just closed PuTTY window.

Also, despite my lags (that is normal I guess due to territorial issues), this thing rocks! Thanks, Moult!

And also, some sort of disclaimer - everybody is free to play my games (session starts with bloody_lemon_), I don't really mind someone grinding herbs for several precrowns Really, I think that some surprises are awesome to boost ADoM fun.

P.S. And yeah, we should totally make a challenge game.

Well, let me know if it happens again, I did fix a few things in the script so hopefully your problem should already be fixed.

Yes, we did have a few ideas for team tournaments. ID dives with switching users when going up or down a staircase, that sort of thing. But let's get all the bugs ironed out first!

Quote Originally Posted by Moult View Post
    Well, let me know if it happens again, I did fix a few things in the script so hopefully your problem should already be fixed.

Yes, we did have a few ideas for team tournaments. ID dives with switching users when going up or down a staircase, that sort of thing. But let's get all the bugs ironed out first!
    Hmm, I still get thrown into active sessions on trying to 'q'uit.

OK just for the sake of public record, _Ln_'s bug on resuming active sessions when tryign to quit has been fixed.

Doubleposting, but now when you start a session, you need to assign a password to your session. This means that you, and only you, can resume your session. This should stop others from messing up your game when you're not active.

Have a couple suggestions and some problems to report.

Why not host the private key as the generated .PPK file as well as a .TXT file? This will save a step for those too lazy to download puttygen.

After reading the "First visit? Read me!" file and pressing 'q' to exit to the main menu, it does not actually display the main menu again, just the "Please type in an option: " line.

Should add a line at to bottom of the "Donations" file that instructs the user to press 'q' to exit to the main menu. Similar problem of not actually displaying the main menu again as above.

After attempting to reload a saved game in which it asks for a password, then providing an incorrect password, it immediately closes the connection. A bit harsh. Perhaps it should provide an error message and return you to the main menu.

When you die or quit, the player may want to keep his session open so he can create a new character.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Ok, bugs are back.
    I'm thrown in active sessions again even after the message "your session has closed"

Also, I started "public_the_second", then sorear started playing. I left at some moment, then came back, but I can't start spectating that exact session (I could spectate other though). Some message started being displayed (dissapearing immediately) over the menu screen (in black on grey on the last row), and then I was left with "Attaching from inside of screen?" after "Please type in an option:"

I managed to printscreen the message before it dissapears. It says: "Attach msg ignored:coming from inside."

Ok.

P.S. Coming from inside sounds creepy, I'm now officially scared.

@fazisi:

I have added the PuTTY PPK key as a downloadable option, and edited the first post as such. I've updated the README and donations file to both mention press 'q' to go back to the menu. I will address your other suggestions later

@_Ln_:

That is worrisome. It seems as though people are accidentally starting screen sessions without meaning to. This could happen if while you are pressing my previously recommended "stop spectating" sequence, the other person playing is also hitting keys that could potentially execute screen commands. It sounds as though somebody accidentally hit the a key, or c key whilst you were quitting.

I am changing my recommendation to stop spectating via C-a C-d, and instead stop spectating by closing your SSH window. I have also made some changes so that the C-a command will no longer be recognised by screen.

This should fix your problems.

Please let me know if any other problems occur.

After attempting to reload a saved game in which it asks for a password, then providing an incorrect password, it immediately closes the connection. A bit harsh. Perhaps it should provide an error message and return you to the main menu.
    Fixed

When you die or quit, the player may want to keep his session open so he can create a new character.
    I disagree. A session is a single "gaming session". It should not be confused with an "account". Or did you mean instead of making it close the SSH window it brings you back to the main menu after dying or quitting ADOM? If so, I agree, and I will fix it later.

Meanwhile, we have two very exciting new features:

You can now have spectate-only or co-op games. It's pretty much self explanatory. Co-op games are what we're all used to - anybody can join and control your character. Spectate-only games are ones that only you control - any spectators cannot control your character. Note that your game might blink when doing a spectate-only game if the person spectating is mashing their keyboard. But of course we won't do that would we?

The next feature is downloadable game data. First go to http://ancardia.dyndns.org/data/sessions/ and go into your session's directory. Whenever you save, you will be able to download the save .svg file from there. (right click and save as). If you press ')' in-game, it will generate a .vlg file which is a snapshot of your current progress. You can download this .vlg file as well. When you die (or win), it will generate a .flg file which is basically those memorial files showing how awesome your character was. You can also download it. (Just make sure you download it before quitting your session otherwise it'll be deleted with the rest of your data - it should be immediately available once you answer the "Do you want to make a memorial file" question).

Also, I've released the source code (well, the shell scripts, I can't exactly release my server settings) available here: http://ancardia.dyndns.org/data/source/

We're making progress to a server ready for a tournament methinks!