25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Melee

8 32.00%
  • Magic

17 68.00%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Melee VS magic

Default Melee VS magic

Jeremiah seems to want to defend magic, while i'm more in favor of melee.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Situational.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

I was not really interested in defending magic I was just having a conversation. I, myself, think it is clear that spell-casters, especially pure ones, have an advantage over melee. But I don't feel the need to prove that.

Evolution theory on forums :
    Conversation => Poll => Debate => flame wars
    The ituational of fasizi is really what i think. Mages are overpowered end game, under powered early.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief

Just a silly online game

I think you need to be more specific about exactly what the poll means. Which is more fun? Which is easier? In early game? Whole game? To win or just to advance?
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Which one you love the most.
    Archery is counted as magic --'.

Just a silly online game

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Evolution theory on forums :
    Conversation => Poll => Debate => flame wars

=> Challenge game => debate => Further flame wars

The ituational of fasizi is really what i think. Mages are overpowered end game, under powered early.
    Only if you're crap. Mages can be awesome early game in the right hands. Here's a challenge for you - enter bandit town with a level 1 char, leave when everything's dead. Think a melee char can manage?
    Last edited by Grey; 11-08-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Voted magic. More fun to have, and TP as a bonus.
    I like meleing with spellcasters as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Which one you love the most.
    Archery is counted as magic --'.
    Love most? I'd go missile > melee > magic. I hate playing casters in general, and normally end up playing them as mostly melee.

As far as difficulty/survivability? Magic/missile >>> melee. No real contest here. Archers are, IMHO, the most consistently powerful class in the whole game. Wizards are a bit weaker early on (mainly due to PP/casting limitations), but normally end up quite a bit stronger (although an archer can be a decent caster too). Melee PCs are vulnerable to poison, paralysis, sickness, etc. in ways that ranged PCs aren't, especially since they can't take advantage of tactics to the same extent that missile PCs can (eg. melee PCs have a hard time killing something on coward; a ranged/caster PC can dual wield shields on coward and STILL kill things faster than a melee can). I'd put the very strongest melee classes--beastfighters, barbarians, etc.--about on par with the weakest casters--necros, say--in terms of difficulty.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I wanted to vote missile, but of course this poll has been created by Dudley.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.