Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shambling Mound Fun!

Several dozen castings of Lightning Bolt. Depending if you bounce the bolt several times over it, you can make them very strong in a short period. They cannot see in darkness or through invisibility so they can be killed with zero risk.

It is possible to kill shambling mounds with Lightning Bolt since they do take the damage from the bolt.

Should convince someone with adom bot to conduct a test regarding this.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

> Does the environmental effect in air temple affect monsters?

I don't know, it was just a crazy thought that went through my head.

> how long is " a while"?

depends on how you bolt them. best way is like this
    Code:
    ######
    ...P..
    ###@##
    ######
    and bolt upward. have lots of Wi: boosting stuff, =lit, and drop your gear somewhere
    first. It works because your xp gain is determined by mob speed and HP's, and lit
    increases Shambling's HP. to my knowledge, that is all it increases

> Should convince someone with adom bot to conduct a test

You don't have adombot?
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Lightning increases a few other attributes, since I have noticed a significant increase in damage when I powered mine up.

Negative on the bot. I have never made an effort to get it.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ

Quote Originally Posted by fazisi View Post
    Several dozen castings of Lightning Bolt. Depending if you bounce the bolt several times over it, you can make them very strong in a short period. They cannot see in darkness or through invisibility so they can be killed with zero risk.

It is possible to kill shambling mounds with Lightning Bolt since they do take the damage from the bolt.

Should convince someone with adom bot to conduct a test regarding this.
    I did a quick check with blessed stethoscope and lightning. It seems that the damage due to the lightning bolt gets approximately added to the shambling mound's max HP. It isn't obviously clear how its current HP is affected, since sometimes the lightning will just kill it outright. A 35000 (max) HP shambling mound gives ~2 million xp on a PC with 130 speed. No noticable change in any other stat--level, speed, etc.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

So there is a max HP. This is interesting. Also as update for anyone interested I used lighting ball on the second one and killed in only a few turns. It still grew but I think the damage caused by the lightning ball was to great for it to recover.

For an update to this character he got poison hands as his first corruption As of now it's not looking good for him. I don't have thick gloves anywhere and the whole cursed food thing is proving to be a massive problem for me to deal with.

Things I learned from this adventure: Shambling Mounds are awesome and should be exploited for maximum exp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ybirk View Post
    So there is a max HP. This is interesting. Also as update for anyone interested I used lighting ball on the second one and killed in only a few turns. It still grew but I think the damage caused by the lightning ball was to great for it to recover.
    No, 35000 isn't the maximum possible HP. That was the maximum HP of the shambling mound that I killed for 2 million xp. It can go higher than this, probably up to some integer limit. The problem is that the xp cap is comparatively low, and if the monster ends up giving too much xp, you'll just get 1 point instead. Assuming that the experience scales linearly, there probably isn't much point to pumping more than about 100k damage worth of bolts into a shambling mound.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 11-24-2010 at 06:08 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Cool