Thread: Ironman: Human Wizard! (long)

Default Ironman: Human Wizard! (long)

Hello fellow ADOMers. I've been reading these forums (and others) - and playing ADOM - on and off for quite a while, probably about 8 or 9 years. The game always keeps me coming back; so much depth and "replay" value. One of my favorite motives for playing was to attempt (and complete, hopefully) some of the more dynamic challenge games, so after finally getting an ultra ending, I set out to conquer my favorite one: Ironman! [http://lonkero.eu/igb/adomgb-app-Q.html]

[also sidenote: I enjoy the Brimstone man challenge (gnome elementalist), I would try and complete it using "savescumming" just to test the waters; to see if it was possible to do it legitimately. My most successful character was 1 digging-wand-charge short of getting into the final chamber on TF:4, so I'd be stuck reloading a character with ~300 frostbolt charges and going around killing stuff until I ran out of spell knowledge, then reload... so boring ]

Anyway, at this point in my ADOM career (lol) I've been completely obsessed with playing humans, and determined that wizards would naturally be best for the challenge, as their power scales relatively well with your decent to I:66 and back up.

My starting equipment was nothing special: Firebolt & Light for my spells, however, this character was pretty lucky, finding a decent amount of spellbooks on his way down, but particularly unlucky with the spellbooks found - that is, until I found the two biggest game changers for the Ironman attempt: Spellbook of Teleport and Spellbook of Knock - somewhere around I:20. If you're unfamiliar with Irnonman attempts, ~I:15+ is where door traps will start killing your character. Even with Knock and Teleport, avoiding closed doors is advisable WHEN POSSIBLE to save spell knowledge. (I recall a previous Ironman attempt where a character of mine got fairly far with a huge rock and a pick axe to get around doors before ultimately attempting an "Impossible." teleport which put him in the middle of some blue C's around I:57; one of my more heartbreaking losses). I picked up a few decent/mediocre utility spells with Darkness, Stun ray, Cure light/serious wounds, Slow monster and eventually Slow Poison...

...There were a few key tools missing that would have made my descent/ascent much easier. Firstly, my only offensive spells were burning hands and fire bolt, making a few enemies particularly troublesome, perhaps getting trapped between a fire beetle and an otherwise more difficult monster (I didn't find magic missle until about I:15 on my way back up). I didn't have any potions of invisibility until ~I:35, and the first round of blink dogs I found (I:23) didn't yield a corpse (thanks for teleporting away and dying, Raa the blink dog). I didn't find a wand of digging until I was fairly deep, either. Even without these escape tools, however, I still had darkness and uncontrolled teleport to help get my out of some sticky situations.

What I love most about this challenge is that is requires (or at least bequeefs) lots of micromanagement; book casting if you're full on power points goes a long way, especially considering I was so low on offensive spell knowledge from I:30 onwards, all the way down and back up. Got some time? Drop your corpses on the groun and bookcast firebolt to cook em up - helps train food preservation (does it?) as well as mana, concentration and makes your corpses last longer. Getting utility spells like Bless, Farsight, Invisibility and Strength of Atlas allows you to cast the spell enough until your effectivity is high enough so that you can book cast it with high enough power-point regeneration that you can sustain almost indefinitely the spell in question (not recommended for Strength of Atlas until your naturally train your strength to ~15-17 or alternatively you get to about I:20 where you'll want that extra 5 speed you'd lost from being burdened). As I never found any of those spells (except SoA on the way up, around I:17), I didn't get the opportunity to employ this strategy on this run. Training Spears or Whips on the weaker enemies allows you to get some extra DV which will be helpful when you're not interested in using 2 shields (there are situations that warrant both). Shooting yourself with low level magic missle or damaging yourself in other ways for the first leg of your journey will help you train your healing skill. Being sick while leveling up(?)/eating stat-boosting corpses will increase your chances.

Avoiding an ancient karmic dragon as well as an emporer lich were two of my most tense moments. Greater titans, greater water/earth elementals were also a problem. 68/20 on coward, they'd bring my from ~100hp to ~50 in one hit. My two closest calls were as follows:

Firstly, I made a mistake on I:66/SIL that I always try to keep in mind NOT to do. Its funny that you can forget the simplest things sometimes. I was "getting my torch on" looking for Malakai (also note there was a tension room on the level that I didn't bother to investigate, although the aggro player in my wanted to see what was inside) when I found him down a long hallway. Shouldn't be too hard, right? Just cast darkness and hit him with my ever-dwindling supply of burning hands (less than 120 castings left)! Well, I shot some firebolts at him until he was right next to me, and cast darkness while forgetting to extinguish my torch. Classic. He took me down to ~66 hp, but imagine losing at that point? I put the torch away and finished up, teleported back to I:65.

Secondly, I was back on my way up, having dropped just enough to go from strained to burdened for that extra 5 speed I had worked so hard to bolster. I was in the I:40s, and heard a distant wind. I had ~110 hit points at this point (thanks "cursed eternium platemail of life" from a chaos knight) but no fire resistance (thanks handfull of fire lizards/beetles with 100 food preservation)/lightning resistance. With a little help from a monster using missle attacks, I entered my inputs too quickly and moved into a lightning vortex, taking my down to 4 hp. What a heartbreaker that would have been!

A few other notables from my journey:

-In a typical ironman run, by the time you make it down to I:40 or thereabouts, you'll have a few stacks of water, and can sometimes dip your biggest pile into one of the smaller ones and get a 50/50 chance of getting some holy water. This run was one of them where you get unholy water (you won't find out until you dip your supposed heap of scrolls of identify into your new stack of unidentified water).

-One of my favorite books showed up, and, given the previous bullet point, made for an even more pleasant suprise - Spellbook of Identify! I'd go as far as to say its even better in this challenge than in a normal game (I still think its underrated).

-Only 1 scroll of uncursing!

-After finding and reading a spellbook of Stun ray, I repeadetly cast it in order to train my mana stat and increase the spell effectivity. In a sticky situation around I:48, I was stuck fighting a fire beetle with my cursed whip, and decided to break out my +18 stun ray spell which was shrugged off every time. Does level/willpower play more of a part and effectivity only affect the range/duration?

-An "Impossible." teleport sent me into a tension room of ancient black dragons deep in the ID. I was at about half HP by the time I got a turn - another stroke of luck.

-Divine interventions = cheating

-Corruptions were decent, although I came across (as I do in perhaps 1/3 of my ironman attempts) some thick gauntlets so the poison hands corruption would not have been too bad. I'll occasionally, with low level characters, corrupt myself through a trap to try and "gamble" on some nice abilities.

-Midway on my way down, I w5'd in a room to regain some hitpoints. Upon exploring the level I came across about 25 writhing masses of primal chaos (or whatever they're called; purple j's). This got my more experience than is usually typical for that point in a run.

-Character started with 15 Dx, just enough for greased lightning (+4 speed talent)! I make sure to try and procure a claw bug corpse whenever my characters spawn with 14 Dx.

-I usually take the +speed talents, +DV talents, and sometimes grab the 'extrordinarily stealthy' talent as well as my all-around personal favorite, Long Stride!

-I maxed out concentration, healing and food preservation in that order. I divided my extra skill points into stealth, alchemy, swimming and first aid.

-Level 7 in whips was much higher than I expected it would end at, but I ran almost completely out of offensive spells on my way back up, so I had to use my (-4 1d3) whip as well as a newly aquired phase dagger a lot.

-Gold coins were used to throw at objects on the floor that could have potentially been mimics. (More ideal options exist, ex; a bow & arrow has longer range).

-MVP besides Knock and Teleport: cursed eternium platemail of life! Seriously, this thing saved me from being one-shotting by a lightning vortex. Honorable mention goes to Spellbook of Identify and wand of digging.

-Killing cats w/a

As far as the exact rules I used for this run - once the down stairway is found, you must descend. Any monsters in your way could be dealt with. One important aspect of an Ironman run is missing as few tension rooms as possible/exploring as much of the level as possible. Wilderness encounters were a shift-Q. The "stat questions" (while creating a character) were not answered - or, rather, answered randomly. I used to have them somewhat memorized! Random starsign, of course, but Tree is probably one of the better ones for this challenge, so I had some luck in that respect.

FLG is unsnipped except for missle skill/char history.
    Sorry for the spelling/grammar errors, also I'm not a very good writer. Thanks dudes!
    Last edited by Vicinity; 12-05-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Default Ironman character file

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                     Screenshot

^^^^^
                                                                           ^^^..^
                                                                           ^^.@^^
                                                                          ^^^.^^
                                                                         ^....^
                                                                        o..~^^^
                                                                        &&&&^^
                                                                        &&&~~^
                                                                       &&&~~~
                                                                       &~~~~^
                                                                       &~~~^^
                                                                       &~~~~~
                                                                       ~~~~^^
                                                                       ~~*^^^
                                                                       ~~^^^
                                                                        ^^^

A3            St:17  Le:22  Wi:19  Dx: 8  To:14  Ch: 2  Ap: 1  Ma:32  Pe:13 N=
    DV/PV: 45/26   H: 110(110)    P: 163(179)    Exp: 18/317183     DrCh  Sp: 112
    Satiated Coward

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Background Information

Name: A3                  Race: male Human          Class: Wizard
    Eye color: blue           Hair color: red           Complexion: pale
    Height: 6'1"              Weight: 171 pounds        Scars: 3
    Star sign: Tree           Birthday: 28/Tree (day 358 of the year)

YOUR HISTORY:

Inventory
    Total weight: 1951 stones                Carrying capacity: 33800 stones

He: uncursed rusty metal cap [+0, +1]                                 [50s]
    Ne: uncursed amulet of petrification resistance                        [3s]
    Bo: cursed eternium plate mail of life (-1, -2) [-1, +13]            [240s]
    Gi: uncursed leather girdle [+0, +1]                                   [5s]
    Cl: uncursed cloak of protection [+0, +6]                             [20s]
    RH: uncursed Sceptre of Chaos (+8, 6d6+8) [-8, +0] {Ma+8} (+8 spd)   [800s]
    LH: uncursed medium eternium shield [+9, +3]                          [46s]
    RR: cursed ring of cold resistance                                     [1s]
    LR: uncursed ring of acid resistance                                   [1s]
    Br: -
    Ga: uncursed gloves [+0, +2]                                           [6s]
    Bo: uncursed sandals (+1, +1) [+1, +0]                                 [6s]
    MW: -
    Mi: 297 gold pieces                                                    [2s]
    Tl: blessed torch (3336 turns of fuel remaining)                      [10s]

Stuff

Total weight: 761 stones   Carrying capacity: 33800 stones

Shields ('[')
       uncursed medium adamantium shield (+2) [+7, +4]                    [72s]
    Gauntlets ('[')
       uncursed thick gauntlets (-1, -2) [+0, +1]                         [15s]
    Cloaks ('[')
       uncursed cloak of adornment [+1, +1] {Ap+4}                        [40s]
    Necklaces (''')
       uncursed amulet of health                                           [3s]
       cursed amulet of the cold heart {Ch-10}                             [3s]
       uncursed brass amulet                                               [3s]
    One-handed weapons ('(')
       uncursed whip (-3, 1d3)                                            [15s]
       uncursed phase dagger (+0, 1d4+3)                                   [5s]
    Missiles ('/')
       uncursed arrow of darkness (+1, 1d6-2)                              [2s]
       bundle of 8 blessed arrows of jelly slaying (+3, 2d4+3)            [16s]
    Tools (']')
       uncursed box with flint and steel (8)                               [5s]
       uncursed tinderbox (23)                                             [3s]
       uncursed fireproof blanket                                         [10s]
       uncursed small key                                                  [1s]
       uncursed waterproof blanket                                        [10s]
       heap of 2 blessed fireproof blankets                               [20s]
       uncursed hexagonal key                                              [1s]
       uncursed bandage                                                    [2s]
    Rings ('=')
       uncursed rusty ring of stun resistance                              [1s]
       heap of 2 uncursed brass rings                                      [2s]
       uncursed ring of the fish                                           [1s]
       cursed ring of cold resistance                                      [1s]
       uncursed ring of see invisible                                      [1s]
       uncursed ring of protection +1                                      [1s]
       uncursed ring of damage                                             [1s]
    Wands ('\')
       uncursed wand of light (7 charges)                                  [4s]
       uncursed wand of knocking (4 charges)                               [3s]
       uncursed wand of monster creation (6 charges)                       [3s]
       uncursed wand of item detection (3 charges)                         [3s]
       uncursed wand of door creation (5 charges)                          [3s]
       uncursed wand of trap detection (1 charge)                          [3s]
       uncursed wand of cold (2 charges)                                   [4s]
    Potions ('!')
       uncursed potion of healing                                          [4s]
       heap of 5 uncursed potions of water                                [20s]
       uncursed potion of charisma                                         [4s]
       uncursed potion of willpower                                        [4s]
       heap of 2 uncursed potions of insight                               [4s]
       uncursed potion of training                                         [2s]
       uncursed potion of invisibility                                     [4s]
       blessed potion of troll blood                                       [2s]
       uncursed potion of blindness                                        [2s]
       cursed potion of oil                                                [2s]
       uncursed potion of strength                                         [4s]
       uncursed potion of poison                                           [4s]
       uncursed potion of cure poison                                      [2s]
       cursed potion of blindness                                          [2s]
       uncursed potion of beauty                                           [4s]
       heap of 2 potions of unholy water                                   [8s]
       uncursed potion of carrot juice                                     [4s]
       blessed potion of potential willpower                               [4s]
       heap of 2 uncursed potions of visibility                            [8s]
    Scrolls ('?')
       uncursed scroll of teleportation                                    [2s]
       uncursed scroll of defense                                          [2s]
       blessed scroll of satiation                                         [2s]
       uncursed scroll of vermin control                                   [2s]
       uncursed scroll of amnesia                                          [2s]
       uncursed scroll of satiation                                        [2s]
       uncursed scroll of charging                                         [2s]
       uncursed scroll of uncursing                                        [2s]
       uncursed scroll of identify                                         [2s]
       uncursed scroll of darkness                                         [2s]
       blessed scroll of identify                                          [2s]
    Food ('%')
       heap of 2 uncursed iron rations                                   [200s]
       uncursed dwarven sausage                                           [20s]
       uncursed plant seed                                                 [2s]
       cursed lizard man corpse                                          [120s]
       uncursed loaf of hurthling bread                                   [30s]
       cursed dwarven sausage                                             [20s]
    Gems ('*')
       uncursed turquoise                                                  [1s]
       cursed amber                                                        [1s]

Default Ironman

Code:
                                    Weapon Skills

Melee weapon           Lvl   Hit   Dam   DV   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Unarmed fighting         0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            30
    Daggers & knives         2    +2    +0   +0   basic                52
    Clubs & hammers          0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            30
    Maces & flails           0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            30
    Swords                   0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            30
    Axes                     0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            30
    Whips                    7    +8    +4   +7   skilled              734
    Pole arms                0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            30
    Twohanded weapons        0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            30
    Staves                   0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            30

Missile weapon         Lvl   Hit   Dam   Ra   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------

Shields                Lvl   DV               Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---              -------------  --------------
    Shields                  4    +8              skilled              206

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
    --------------------------------------
    ?Right hand: ?+10? bonus to hit, ?6d6+6? damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
    ----------------------------------------
    ?Ammunition: ?297?, base range: ?2?, ?+1? bonus to hit, ?1d2-3? damage

Skills

Alchemy ..................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Climbing ................. 29    (mediocre)     [+3d4]
      Concentration ............100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      First aid ................ 61    (good)         [+1d3]
      Food preservation ........100    (superb)       [+1d5]
      Haggling ................. 24    (mediocre)     [+3d4]
      Healing ..................100    (superb)       [+1d3]
      Herbalism ................ 41    (fair)         [+4d4]
      Listening ................ 78    (great)        [+3d3]
      Literacy .................100    (superb)       [+2d4]
      Stealth .................. 81    (great)        [+1d3]
      Swimming ................. 23    (mediocre)     [+3d3]
      Ventriloquism ............ 38    (fair)         [+3d3]

Spells

Burning Hands      :   613,   4pp     (Effectivity: +21)
       Cure Light Wounds  :   623,   3pp     (Effectivity: +4)
       Cure Serious Wounds:   566,   5pp     (Effectivity: +7)
       Darkness           :   627,   2pp     (Effectivity: +6)
       Fire Bolt          :     9,   8pp     (Effectivity: +20)
       Identify           :   270,  44pp     (Effectivity: +7)
       Knock              :   131,   6pp     (Effectivity: +20)
       Light              :   881,   1pp     (Effectivity: +12)
       Magic Missile      :   480,   4pp     (Effectivity: +6)
       Revelation         :   244,  20pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Slow Monster       :   236,   5pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Slow Poison        :   232,   4pp     (Effectivity: +0)
       Strength of Atlas  :   560,   5pp     (Effectivity: +8)
       Stun Ray           :   136,   4pp     (Effectivity: +19)
       Teleportation      :     8,  23pp     (Effectivity: +18)

Effects of Corruption

Your feet have been transformed into hooves (+8 kicking damage, Dx: -6).
    You are surrounded by an unholy aura (Ch: -10, DV: +6).
    Your antennae explore the details of your environment (Ap: -4).
    Your corrupted tissue seems to heal much faster.
    Your close attunement to corrupted astral space allows teleportation.
    You have grown thorns (3d3 melee damage, Dx: -2, Ap: -3).
    You have grown horns (+3 melee damage, Ap: -4).

His achievements during his adventures:

A3, the human wizard, left the Drakalor Chain never to come back.
    He scored 172718 points and advanced to level 18.
    He survived for 0 years, 17 days, 8 hours, 16 minutes and 46 seconds (40991
    turns).
    A3 visited 2 places.
    His strength score was modified by +6 during his career.
    His learning score was modified by +1 during his career.
    His toughness score was modified by +2 during his career.
    His appearance score was modified by -3 during his career.
    His mana score was modified by +11 during his career.
    He was unnaturally aged by 9 years.
    He ended his adventuring life in the wilderness.
    903 monsters perished under his attacks.
    The following artifact was generated during his adventure:
      the Sceptre of Chaos
    He possessed the following intrinsics:
      He was poison resistant (enhanced through an item).
      He was cold resistant (gained through an item).
      He was acid resistant (gained through an item).
      He was doomed (gained through an item).
      He was cursed (gained through an item).
      He was petrification resistant (gained through an item).
      He was able to control teleportation.
      He was shock resistant (gained through an item).
    He had the following talents: Careful, Defensive Fighter, Greased Lightning,
    Long Stride, Quick, Very Careful, Very Quick.
    He had a final speed score of 112 (final base speed: 109).
    He was religious.
    He did not ask for divine help.
    He was neutrally aligned.
    He was severely tainted by Chaos.

The following monsters were vanquished:
          2 acid vortices
          2 annis hags
          1 assassin
          5 bandits
          1 barbarian
          6 berserkers
          3 berserker lords
          1 big dog
          1 black baby dragon
          1 black hurthling
          2 black wizards
         20 blink dogs
          1 brown worm
          3 bugbears
          1 bulette
          1 carrion crawler
          1 cave lion
          3 cave lizards
          2 cave tigers
          1 caveman
          3 chaos brothers
          3 chaos knights
          1 chaos lizard
          1 chaos plague bearer
         36 chaos rats
          2 chaos sisters
          1 chaos spawn
         13 claw bugs
          1 clay golem
          1 cobra
          1 cooshoo
          2 corpse fiends
          1 crystal statue
          5 cyclopes
          1 dark elven archer
          1 dark elven warrior
          1 dark elven wizard
          1 dark sage
          1 death ooze
         24 dire wolves
          1 displacer beast
          3 dopplegangers
          2 dwarves
          1 dwarven chaos knight
          1 eye of destruction
          5 fire beetles
          5 fire lizards
          3 fire vortices
          6 floating eyes
          1 fomorian giant
          1 frost giant
         19 frost giant berserkers
          2 gargoyles
          1 gelatinous cube
          2 ghost bats
          1 ghost lord
          5 ghuls
          6 giant bats
          6 giant centipedes
          1 giant frog
          4 giant lizards
         55 giant rats
          2 giant rust monsters
         14 giant spiders
          1 gibbering mouther
         24 gnolls
          2 gnoll chieftains
         10 goblins
          1 goblin chieftain
         12 goblin rockthrowers
          8 goblin slavemasters
          2 gray oozes
          1 gray slayer
          2 green blobs
         13 green slimes
          2 harpies
          2 hill giants
          1 hill giant chieftain
          6 hill orcs
          2 hill orc sergeants
          6 hippogriffs
          3 hobgoblins
          1 hobgoblin leader
          1 homunculus
          4 huge bats
          3 hyenas
          3 ice vortices
         46 jackals
          1 jackalwere
          2 karmic lizards
         12 kobolds
          2 kobold chieftains
          3 kobold shamans
         13 large bats
          1 large dog
          5 large gnolls
          6 large kobolds
          6 large orcs
          3 large snakes
         21 large spiders
          2 lightning lizards
         14 lizard men
          1 margoyle
          1 master mimic
          2 master swordsmen
          1 master thief
          1 mimic
          1 minotaur
          1 mummy
          1 necromancer
          4 ogres
          2 ogre lords
          2 ogre magi
         36 orcs
          3 orc chieftains
          2 orc scorchers
          7 outlaws
          1 outlaw leader
          3 owlbears
          4 pit vipers
          1 pixie
          1 pixie archer
         11 purple worms
          3 raiders
         52 rats
          2 ratling archers
          1 ratling duelist
          2 ratling fencers
          3 ratling master thieves
          3 ratling thieves
          3 ratling warriors
          1 revenant
         22 shadows
          2 shadow lords
          3 skeletal warriors
         17 skeletons
          1 slow shadow
          1 stone giant
          1 stone golem
          2 swordsmen
          8 tarantulas
          1 troll
          2 troll berserkers
          1 troll king
          1 vapor rat
          1 water snake
          5 wererats
          4 werewolves
          1 white baby dragon
          1 white dragon
          2 white worms
          2 wights
         87 wolves
          2 wraiths
         21 writhing masses of primal chaos
          2 yellow oozes
          5 zombies

Whao. Awesome. Sig it?
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Maybe when I get one with less turns than mike! His Ironman wins ranged from about 28k (awesome) up to 36k (the highest one of his I found). Some of it is luck of course, but I bet a more skilled ADOM player could have done better than me, although it does take alot of turns to kill a horde of rats and wolves with a -3 1d3 whip when you only have 50 castings of burning hands/fire bolt left.