Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First decent character :(

... Why is it that I see you in berserk mode two deaths in a row? Coincidence?

Really, don't berserk in melee unless you have to get through high PV. If you pay attention to your hitpoints, you usually get to retreat easily enough not to die, but being berserk lets the others hit you more often in one round. And you weren't even full HP! No wonder that you died, really. Sorry

Hunting around for the tension room (you always know soon enough that they're there) wasn't the best idea around with not full HP. You've GOT Healing, after all, and you're in no hurry!

Learn to fear large gnolls. With a drakeling in general it's always just safer to kill these and other tough nuts with acid spit.

Clay golem... Ouch. Acid spit might have worked?
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Nup, Clay Golems are immune to acid. I did think of that :P

And yeah, generally in the past I've been impatient with killing things slowly -

You hit and wound
    You hit and wound
    You hit and wound.. blah blah.

So i've hit Berserk mode, or often gone for the You Lust For Blood thing which was probably an even worse idea. To be honest I'm not sure why I had the Mindcrafter in berserk. And I don't think I used acid spit a single time with the Mindcrafter - probably forgot what Race he was.

The Merchant would've died far far earlier if I'd played him the same way. I think I'm getting better. He was rarely in Berserk, I used acid spit (although that almost killed me in the big room - I hate wererats), I had a pretty high DV, and I ran away a lot, using ranged weapons to whittle away at their HP or ensuring that there was only one mob in range of me when I attacked them (because I was quite fast).

Yay, I've made it to Dwarftown! Candle-born Drakish Fighter :P
    Had a bunch of gear cursed by an Annis Hag, luckily not anything too valuable, and destroyed the ones I had equipped with an acid trap
    Wonder how long before I mess up..

Sorry to keep replying to myself, but wow that was lucky. D:13, I find a beehive, decide to kill it for some beeswax and royal gelee. I handled a beehive on about D:4 with no problem, and I'd got poison resistance since then, so I figured I'd be fine. I wasn't. Poison slowly draining my HP, surrounded by bees, they're killing themselves on me and respawning too fast for me to handle. I finally manage to get to the door, but I'm on 4 hp with a bee behind me and badly poisoned. My only hope? Drink an unID'd potion.

Code:
    You feel good about your learning level. The giant bee warrior hits you.
    You feel poisoned! The giant bee warrior suddenly drops dead! You die... Your 
    amulet suddenly glows in a silvery light. You have been resurrected! Your 
    amulet crumbles to dust!
    I was wearing my unID'd amulet because my other two were pretty useless. Kinda a stupid way to use an AoLS, but hey, I'm still alive.

EDIT: Scratch that. Next level down, Black Slayer. Faster than me, hitting through 60 DV in coward mode. Prayer makes my God angry at me, which is a stupid story too.
    Level 5 of the VD, I found a Neutral altar, and I had a cursed item I really wanted to remove to replace with something good. So I tried saccing some gold and food, but didn't have enough to get my Piety high enough. So I wandered off, and found the Tension room - mostly lizard men with a few wolves. Killed off the wolves and the one unsaccable undead, then lured all the lizard men to the altar and sacced them. Got up to like 5-6k Piety, got the Lucky intrinsic, uncursed my item and went on my merry way.

When I was ready to head over to the CoC, I thought to myself 'I'll go back to that altar and get some more piety. Prayer is helpful.' Got there, sacced the Chaotic monster in the room:

*WELCOME, BELIEVER*
    For some seconds the ground rumbles.

I missed the fact that I'd gone up to LN at some point, so I essentially swapped deitys twice and dropped my Piety back to -950 or whatever it resets to. *sigh*

Guess I'll go start again.

EDIT again. Apparently I was on the 'first level of some strange dwarven caves' - the Dwarven Halls I guess. I was planning to go through the Animated Forest, but I thought the path didn't split until D:15. Must've missed the other staircase in my rush to get away from the Bees.
    Last edited by Conundrum; 04-24-2009 at 10:37 AM.