Thread: Do NPC Birthdays exist?

Default Do NPC Birthdays exist?

I just had an interesting thought, one that could, in theory, provide hints towards solving some of the unsolved questions of the game.

Specifically, do any of the named NPCs have in-game birthdays? If they do, could something special happen if you give them certain things, or talk to them, on these days? For instance, what if Kherab only offers his third quest on his birthday? Similarly, could the secret to the Scroll of Omnipotence be that you must either give the crumpled scroll to Khelavaster on his birthday (perhaps also requiring that it be at dawn), or that you must give the trident of the red rooster back to him on his birthday (again, at dawn)?

On a related note, has anyone tried asking Thrundarr about either birthdays or months?

i tried giving khelly the trident back in my own kind of way.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Regarding the related note I made about Thrundarr, I just tried a number of possibilities, like "birthday", "birth", "calendar", "month", "star", "star sign", and none of them worked. Not sure what else I could try, but if there's a birthday for a special NPC, I'd imagine that there's some way to find it out other than pure luck.

nathrakh Guest

I think this idea is just absurd. :-P

Quote Originally Posted by nathrakh View Post
    I think this idea is just absurd. :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Crazy!? You think THAT is crazy?! Oh man, I can beat that by a long shot. Here is a list of a few of my past ideas for investigating ADOM mysteries:

Ancient dwarves come in halves:
    I gathered up 206 bones, dropped them in Griff's grave and poured every potion in Ancardia on top of them. Yeah, that was BEFORE realizing the game never actually described Griff as 'ancient'. Whoops. Also, what made me think that dwarves had 206 bones anyway?

I thought the Banshee might have been married to Rolf (WHY!), and so lured the Banshee to Dwarftown, in hopes that she might mistake Thrundarr for Rolf. I don't remember any sectrets uncovered, just a bunch of dead dwarves.

I thought that since the purple r says that the stone circle 'still haz some other effects' that Rolf may have blundered in there one day, and couldn't find his way out of it. So I got myself to L+ and held down the > key for a couple of weeks of real-life time. I observed nothing but weather patterns.

Scroll of Omnipotence:
    In the fool's babblings, he says 'heat the warning', so I did heat the 'scroll of warning' and the 'strange message scroll' in several different ways. I blasted them with firebolt/ball in several strategic locations like in front of Thrundarr/Khelly etc. to absolutely no effect. I even placed them on the ground when placing the Fire Orb, nothing.

Since Yergius is the only NPC (and in fact the only monster) in the game that will always stand perfectly still, and also let you swap places with them indefinitely, I lead him everywhere in the game. You may think I exagerate on this, but I assure you I am not. I lead him EVERYWHERE! To the stone circle, to the Oracle, ID level 4 million, everywhere. I thought he might give some hint but instead, he just enjoyed the sights.

The stupid drunk says "search the bard and hit him hard", so I whack the Mad Minstrel and chat with him when he panics. While he's panicing, he says "have you seen the man with the harmonica, I need him how and here!". To my knowledge, no other NPC says things like that when attacked, and I know about attacking NPC's : ) So I start thinking he means Jharod, because he needs a healer. So I lead Jharod to him, which was not easy, but it did nothing. I then noticed the monster description of Filk, and it says he is accompanied by a humming sound, and I thought that may be caused by having a harmonica. I lead Filk (and even several dozen Filks) to the Mad Minstrel, who just kept stupidly wandering around his clearing.

That's all I can think of for now, but believe me, there's more.
    10 characters
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game