Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help with the spambots requested

As mentiond earlier in this thread, topler is the most sensible choice. I do not think anybody can question the devotion he has put into the game and the community. His posts have always had distinquishable quality too and they stand out posively in every aspect from the general posting.

Hi folks.

Some peeps upthread seemed to have mentioned my name... I gotta say, my currently low forum profile is at least partially due to the spam levels - they kinda sap my enjoyment of this place somewhat. So I would certainly be willing to help clear the spambots, were the power to do so be invested in me and the other, more consistently loquacious members of this forum.

I might not end up being the most dedicated spam-buster, but if the feeling is that an extra hand beyond the many hands of Silfir, Soirana, Grey, gut, JellySlayer and the legendary topler would help, then sign me up.

Nor sure about expanding the questions system -as others have said, spammers are increasingly using humans to get their initial feet in the door, and a full on registration quiz seems more likely to frighten off real potential newbies than spammers.

Im Dr gonzo

Thumbs up

Would liked to have helped as well in clearing Spambots although havent got the time atm even if I would have gotten selected, despite not being an ancient member, per'se

I must say though I think voting people in is a dodgy road if its done by more than just 1 single Admin who is a bit older, mature and knows that humility isn't a ladys name. (To be fair the Admin choices listed seem like good ones and this post has not attracted a bunch of 10 to 14 year olds as happens with the majority of forum Administrator request posts on other forums which is great)

I have been busy with work lately so for all I know this issue may have been dealt with, either way I'm glad an effort is being made to keep the community afloat since it is, as far as I can see, populated by a good bunch of people.

Perhaps the new Admins can just filter through all new registrations and any suspect ones, sent out a mail which consists of a standard letter type thing with a custom question, maybe just talk with these members via mail, I think you would catch most out that way. Even if its real people that made the initial accounts I doubt they are going to be available for follow up talks. (As for spam methods becomming more advanced and speaking as someone who is studying computer security related materials , I agree it has become more advanced, constant fix then new exploit so to speak!)

Also I have a number in my name, I'm screwed lol Joking aside though I completely understand why the suggestion was made regarding names with numerical digits. (I try to avoid that these days but usually I am busy and it is as quick as I can get a valid name for registration)

Bearing what I have said in mind and also touching on what was said by the previous poster(Vogonpoet) I am rather in agreeance because I know personally the minute I see registrations that are breaking from the norm, with questions, surveys or other things of such a convoluted nature, I immediately think:

1: Not got time for this 'faffing' about
    2: Another net Scam
    3: Next they will be asking me to pay for a premium membership

Despite the fact the above is untrue pertaining to this site the fact remains there are so many scams etc on the web that the slightest barrier could be incorrectly percieved and cost the site new members.
    Last edited by foxfire29; 05-23-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: addition

on the bright side, there HAVEN'T been any posts by spambots lately...
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

We also haven't had any new members :-(
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!