Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Ladder of cHaOs Rules Thread

Default The Ladder of cHaOs Rules Thread

This thread is for discussion of rules for the Ladder of cHaOs. Please keep discussions about particular matches or challenges to the appropriate threads.

Duel to the Death - The Ladder of cHaOs (Rules)

The rules for the ladder itself are as follows:
    -Players may join the ladder at any point. Please do!
    -Each player starts with an ALO rating of 1500.
    -Players may then challenge any other player who is not currently involved in a match, except for the player that was just played
    -Lower rated players may decline challenges from higher ranked players, but higher ranked players may not decline lower rated players.
    -Players may only play against 1 opponent at a time, but may play as many matches in total as they want
    -Once a challenge has been posted and accepted in the Challenge Thread, a character will be created for that match.
    -Matches will last approximately 1 week from character creation. The exact timing will be as follows:
    -Players will have 48 hours to play a turn. No extensions will be granted.
    -If both players are still alive after 1 week, the player who currently has control of the PC is required to play their turn. This is the last turn of regulation play.
    -After regulation, players will have 48 hours to complete a sudden death turn.
    -Players will be rated based on the ALO rating algorithm. Each match will result in a swing of up to 100 points of ALO.
    -Players may only enter one account into the tournament.

DTTD Match Rules:

General

-Players will be assigned a single random PC. The lower ranked player will always start first. If both players are the same rank, then the decision will be randomly be made.
    -Players will have 1000 turns to descend at least once (not including entering the ID).
    -If a player exceeds their turncount and has not descended, this is counted as a death.
    -If a player exceeds their turncount, but has descended at least once prior to the infraction, then one of the following will occur:
    -If the overplay is less than 50 turns, then the second player will only be required to play the difference between this value and 1000. If they have not descended during this period, they may use the extra turns in an attempt to descend.
    -If the overplay is more than 50 turns, this is counted as a death.
    -Players may use any items in their inventory and employ any tactics to help or hinder the PC as they see fit (see exceptions below).
    -Players may not ascend to refresh the level (see exception below). Ascension will be considered a death.
    -Players may not egariously exploit bugs. These include, but are not limited to: turn reduction, piety overflow, free healing, etc. Intentional use of these bugs will result in automatic ejection from the ladder.
    -The River Rule: If a player encounters a river level, they should search all accessible areas for the down stairs. If they cannot find the down stairs, without crossing the river, they may ascend and descend to recreate the level and try again. They must still descend once more after this.

Deaths

-If a player dies, the second player will play from the previous save file. If they manage to survive and descend, they will be declared winner.
    -If both players die, then the winner will be decided by:
    -The deepest diver
    -The highest experience
    -The most turns played
    -If the game reaches sudden death mode, both players will play 1000 turns from the last regulation savegame. The winner will be determined by the same criteria as above, regardless of life/death status.

Ending your Turn

-At the end of your turn, you must submit a savegame file and a satisfactory report to the forum. Until both are submitted, it is still considered your turn as far as timing is concerned.
    -Reports should include, AT MINIMUM, the following information
    -A screenshot of the current level, and the locations of any monsters found or items dropped as appropriate.
    -Piety usage and the associated effects (eg. if you inventory curse, you should note which items were cursed)
    -Report on any changes of intrinsics or corruptions
    -The effects of unIDed, but tested, wands, scrolls, or potions (you are not required to say what the wand is, but you are required to say the effect as best as you are able, eg. if you test a wand and it says "you hear a buzzing sound", you may report that)
    -Level ups and talents chosen
    -Any other information that would be impossible for the other player to infer from the save file (eg. one time level messages such as "You shudder")
    -More detailed or video reports are strongly encouraged but not required.
    -UPDATE: If you die, you are not required to reveal any details about the nature of your turn until after the other player has taken their turn at the same save. This includes vital information like turncount, experience, level dived to. Please keep this information on hand in the event that the other player also dies. Simply stating that you died is sufficient.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 03-18-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

So tactics considered chaotic are OK from the first turn?

(In the Weakest Link they weren't, this is why I'm asking.)
    "The avatar I was... now the fool I am. Heed the warning."

uhmmm..i didn't get the difference between regulation play and sudden death mode...be patient, please, im a newbie

In regulation, the people who die first lose. If both of them die, there are additional rules to decide who is the winner. In sudden death both player play a round and we choose the winner according to these additional rules not paying attention to whether they are living or not.

(if I'm not right, then please, correct me)
    "The avatar I was... now the fool I am. Heed the warning."

Quote Originally Posted by zsomkovacs View Post
    In regulation, the people who die first lose. If both of them die, there are additional rules to decide who is the winner. In sudden death both player play a round and we choose the winner according to these additional rules not paying attention to whether they are living or not.

(if I'm not right, then please, correct me)
    Yes, that's correct.

And yes, chaotic tactics are allowed right away.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I updated the rules to reflect how post-mordem reporting should be handled:

-UPDATE: If you die, you are not required to reveal any details about the nature of your turn until after the other player has taken their turn at the same save. This includes vital information like turncount, experience, level dived to. Please keep this information on hand in the event that the other player also dies. Simply stating that you died is sufficient.

You are not required to give your opponent any free information in the event if your death.

Just played my PC and 1000 turns felt kinda quick. I noticed Grey and fazisi saying the same on IRC - maybe we can push it up to 2000?

The last DTTD was 1000 turns per run, which is what I based it on. 1000 turns is pretty short, I agree. If a lot of people feel strongly that this should change, I'd suggest that we do it on all future games and let current games run as is.

Anyone else have any opinions on the subject?

If it's 2k turns then the starting player can easily dive down 10 levels, making the whole thing rather silly. Without restrictions on chaos I think 1k is more manageable.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Yeah, 2000 turns gives too much time in one player's hands to set up something exceptionally mean for the other player and would extremely shorten matches. 1000 just feels fast since many of us are used to playing as turn-efficient as possible.
    I said it before, and I'll say it again. If I knew scripture like you, I'd prolly be an athiest too.. -gut

/l、
    (゚、 。 7  
     l、 ~ヽ   
     じしf_, )ノ