Thread: New SSH server based in the United States, also run by jaakkos

Default New SSH server based in the United States, also run by jaakkos

This is a public service announcement for those who don't frequent the #adom channel on irc.freenode.net. I offered to donate some of my hardware and bandwidth to jaakkos, the administrator/creator/god of the very well-known ADoM server, so that he could clone the server and give much better ping times to those living in the U.S.

For those of you not familiar, this is a server where you can connect and play ADoM online, spectate others, compete for high scores and challenges, and not be tempted to savescum because you generally can't. The server has automatic back-up saving and protection against crashes, as well as some other features such as character rollers, co-op games, and ADoM Sage compatibility.

How to connect:
    1) Read these instructions and follow them to the letter. Read every line and don't skip reading anything, it's all important for setting everything up correctly.
    2) The U.S. server address is ancardiUS.ath.cx, and the server address of the server based in Europe is ancardia.ath.cx. Make sure you type ancardius.ath.cx in place of ancardia.ath.cx. Since you are connecting to the US server, you will never have to type in or connect to ancardia.ath.cx.
    3) Those of you who already have accounts with the European server must register a new account on the U.S. server. You can find the instructions at the link above.

That's it! I've been providing this server for ADoM fans for several months now, and I will still be providing it for a long time to come. jaakkos is still administering the server and he is still adding some pretty amazing features. Stop by the friendly IRC channel and say hi sometime!

Once again, thank you so very much for this!!!

Eep!

I got to play for almost an hour today on my tablet while just hanging out on my couch.

Such joy!

Hey, is there any possibility that you could send your server files over to the good people at nethack.alt.org?

Maybe they could also host this as well.

I would hate for this to disappear again from the internet, that's the only reason why I'm asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    Once again, thank you so very much for this!!!

Eep!

I got to play for almost an hour today on my tablet while just hanging out on my couch.

Such joy!
    I'm glad you're enjoying it! That's what the server is made for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    Hey, is there any possibility that you could send your server files over to the good people at nethack.alt.org?

Maybe they could also host this as well.

I would hate for this to disappear again from the internet, that's the only reason why I'm asking.
    You'll have to get with jaakkos on IRC about it. He's the one who made the server what it is today, and he did all the hard work to clone his server onto the hardware I provided. He'd be the final authority on whether to release the code.

^ Thank you! Thank you!

Is there anyone here that owns a Blackberry and can play this on their phone?

My gf has one and I was hoping that maybe I could help explain to her how to play this on it.

She downloaded Rove Mobile SSH.

Thanks ahead if anyone responds.

It was down for a few hours today, and now when trying to edit my authorized_keys (which I set up yesterday but it seems to have been lost):

Error writing /var/lib/adom/users/alucard/.ssh/authorized_keys: No such file

Also, trying to start ADOM:

cat: /var/lib/adom/users/alucard/sage_status: No such file or directory
    cat: /var/lib/adom/users/alucard/adom_ver: No such file or directory

suppose I'll log out now..
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Alucard, power outages and other factors occasionally come into play. If you're ever curious about the server status, come meet us in #adom on irc.freenode.net

The server has very little downtime.

!!! awsome !!! I just had a quick question about co-op mode, what can you use it to do? is it for ladder matches or something?