Thread: Oh YES! Oh No.

Default Oh YES! Oh No.

Started a random char, got a gnome barbarian.
    Nothing remarkable till I got to Dwarftown. After proving myself to the dwarven elder by slaying a rat that presumably had pestered his missus, I chug some sulphur and read an ID-scroll. And lo and behold - I possess an amulet of life saving! Now, I know how rare these are, and I have mabye found 3 of them in my entire career. And I do not think I've found any before dwarftown, or Khelevaster, for that matter. I have made a few with a wish from a pool or ring, but never found me own. I am well equipped after doing all starting caves + UD and a wand shop (doing a wand shop - hm) so I decide to save that old geezer once and for all. Almost forget to get the next quest from elder, but remember just in time. DH 1 is of course, a piece of cake. Just to lure me. DH:2 - is not.

Long hallways, empty rooms..downstairs are past some hidden door somewhere illogical place. And now I've got trouble, A troll chief and a black slayer has me cornered in a hallway. After a round of melee with the slayer I try my luck against the chief, and hold my own, but cannot kill him quickly enough to escape the wrath of blackie. So. This is normally when I go down in a blaze of glory, or gore, but somehow that amulet makes me think. I can, of course, put it on...it is sitting in my backpack to lessen chance of accidental destruction...got a amulet of luck instead...but then I remember something about wands. I tend to gather wands and never really use them much. I try a fireball one, but it only had a charge and didn't help much. But then I see I can dig my way out of trouble. And I do. More trouble, ratling disarmers and stuff, but I somehow manage to 'stave' them off. I escape and run through animated forest instead, realizing just how bleeding easy THAT is if your char is half-decent.

So. All set. Run down two more stairs, and there it is - the room with the white guy and the red basturds. Victory is mine....
    A chaos servant steps on a hidden brick.
    *CLICK*
    A fireball covers the area.

Oh he is still alive, trap is in the corner, back away..."You hear a thundering explosion"

Well they are called chaos servants for some reason.

And later I get, for the 3rd time, crowned as a barbarian with Deaths blade. I think I'll commit hara-kiri with it.

-M

As soon as i saw the click, i *knew* khellie was dead.
    Also, laughed
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

You know, I don't think I've ever had Khellie get killed on me. I've only *found* an AoLS a couple of times, but I can think of probably 5 times or so I've had one generated in the Black Market. Invariably, those characters never survive long enough to make use of it.

And speaking of the rage of the RNG, my current game, a HE Assassin, has gotten awesome weapon drops. I'm using an Eternium Long Sword of Devestation, carrying a Phase Dagger for high PV enemies and a Sword of Sharpness is case of primary weapon destruction. Plus, stashed in the Ogre Cave for safekeeping, I've got a Battle Axe of Devastation and an Eternium Battle Axe of Mayhem. All this is before completing the ToEF. Most of that stuff, I even found before getting to Khellie, which is why I decided there is *no way* I'm letting him die. I suppose the RNG's revenge was letting me drain every pool I found getting doomed 6 times without a wish. (Yes I did remove the dooming before sipping any more.) I ended up having to spend probably an hour in real-time stairhopping in the ID to get the wish.

I'm trying to play extra careful. I'm working on an ultra in every class and hoping to check off "Assassin" with this one.
    You hear the cries of the crowd: "Freebird!! Freebird!! Freebird!!"

You play some tunes on your lute.

> I think I'll commit hara-kiri with it.

the AoLS would foil that too
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

> the AoLS would foil that too

I generally don't wear the AoLS. Too fragile, and there isn't much that can one-shot kill me in normal gaming. I'd prefer rapid healing or free action or the Ankh. And then put on the AoLS when facing something extremely tough or when about to die for a resurrection.

So I managed to kill him off. The crowning that gave me also gave me poison hands corruption. It can be pretty okay, free poison attack, right? Well my primary weapon was an poisonous eternium spear, so mabye not. So if Khelly hadn't died I would have removed it. I put on thick gauntlets but got zapped for 200 damage from a bouncing lightning bolt from an ancient karmic dragon in DH2. I was like WHAT? and then I went Oh yeah, my elemental lightning resist gauntlets are in backpack while wearing thick gauntlets.
    Nice.

> I generally don't wear the AoLS.
    > So I managed to kill him off.

fragile
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Has anyone ever tried to wear the amulet of lifesaving in any of the various instadeath scenarios? The one that comes to mind is spending too much time in the graveyards.

Quote Originally Posted by Baranor View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to wear the amulet of lifesaving in any of the various instadeath scenarios? The one that comes to mind is spending too much time in the graveyards.
    It fails most of them. It pretty much only protects against loss of HP.

Sacrificing yourself while wearing an AoLS does produce an amusing message, however. (but you still die).
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.