Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going for ultra... advice?

Default Going for ultra... advice?

So, I just got my first victory today with a GE Wizard, it took me over a decade to finally beat this game, but I gotta admit, now a regular victory doesn't feel like it's enough to satisfy me.

I guess it would be easy (almost too easy) to roll up another GE Wizard and go for the ultra ending this time, but playing exactly the same character yet again would be boring I guess.

So I'm looking for some advice now, what's a good choice for a character aspiring to an ultra ending? I really like the beastfighter but I guess they're not really suited for an ultra ending, right? So what are some of the "easier" races/classes to attempt an ultra ending with?

What's wrong with beastfighter?
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Delta View Post
    So, I just got my first victory today with a GE Wizard, it took me over a decade to finally beat this game, but I gotta admit, now a regular victory doesn't feel like it's enough to satisfy me.

I guess it would be easy (almost too easy) to roll up another GE Wizard and go for the ultra ending this time, but playing exactly the same character yet again would be boring I guess.

So I'm looking for some advice now, what's a good choice for a character aspiring to an ultra ending? I really like the beastfighter but I guess they're not really suited for an ultra ending, right? So what are some of the "easier" races/classes to attempt an ultra ending with?

Archer is fantastic. HE/GE/hurthling are probably the best choices, but pretty much any non-troll (troll ultras suck) archer is pretty good. Archers are ridiculously powerful.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

> What's wrong with beastfighter?

player may forget to wield something important at the end?
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Well, killing Andy with a beastie boy is definitely a bit more annoying than doing so with an archer, but its still very doable - for instance, you might actually want to drink all those stat boosting potions for a change, rather than just leave them sitting in your pack uselessly.

For ones first Ultra, I would definitely recommend an archer.

I would also recommend not deciding upon doing an Ultra until you have cleared the pools of Darkforge. Starting a PC determined to save Kelly is a recipe in frustration. If you get your wish in the pools, then go for it, otherwise, meh.

Edit: oh, and my fave flavour of Archer is Delf. Throw whatever crap you can at the ants in PC2, then use thrown rocks for a bit at barbarian hordes, then switch to arrows, get to the ToEF, throw rocks again at everything until you can see the Wyrm. then switch to your bow and arrows again, shoot Wyrm, return bow and arrows to backpack, run, proceed to shoot everything else with arrows. No ring of ice required. At all.
    Last edited by vogonpoet; 06-02-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Gnome bard, lots of fun. Don't waste too much time trying to get an optimal skillset though, as many will die young.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Beastfighters (or any class) can kill Andy with missiles. Just have ToTRR wielded when dealing the final blow and it's enough.

true enough, but for one's first ultra attempt, the probability of forgetting
    to wield a melee weapon for the final fight is a frightening yet hilarious
    thought
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I happen to think that killing Andor and then getting reduced to a chaos wretch afterwards is actualy pretty stylish. I'm sure Grey would agree with me.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

In fairness I had never been to the chaos plane and didn't realise that wielding the trident was necessary when slaying the bugger But, uh, yeah, noble way to end - very noble. And certainly very individual.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!