Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: don't mess with cat lord

Kitty ate my recent lvl 30 grey elven wizard for breakfast. I just could not outrun it, he crashed doors right after I locked them and gained on me sooo fast. I managed to blind him TWICE but in 5-6 turns, he regained sight and went after me again.
    I'd have ran away if the whole length of the level wasn't between me and staircase. Down staircase wasn't visible of course.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 10-17-2013 at 11:47 AM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Good to hear.

THIS is why I just quit if I kill a cat...

Quote Originally Posted by Deathwind View Post
    THIS is why I just quit if I kill a cat...
    A bit unnecessary in my opinion. Yeah, the cat lord can kill anyone easily, but quite often you can just go around. He might be somewhere completely out of the way, you can detect where he is and dig your way around, you can slow him down with webs if he's chasing you. And I've never tried, but probably potions of confusion / blindness / Phial of Caladriel works too, if you let him next to you? I remember getting the ring only once, but have been past the level many times. Sure, if you go in "ugh, where me stair?", you're in trouble. : )

Well, I've never killed the cat lord and he's never killed me. So, we are still on equal footing.

Reason for post is mostly, why can we have so many more powerful artifacts return, but not the phial? Is its effect so powerful? It only affect living humanoids, not?

I don't know who you can and cannot affect with the thing, but a guaranteed and safe way to keep the cat lord, Fistanarius or Nuurag-Vaarn out of the fight indefinitely seems quite powerful. Maybe it would be interesting if it behaved like a normal missile and returned. So maybe you had to throw it many times to blind someone. It does hit always currently doesn't it?

On the other, say, Long Sting doesn't return and it is arguably a lot less useful to begin with, not being a guaranteed artifact. Unless this was changed, but I couldn't find an RFE or changelog for that.
    Last edited by Singbird; 10-17-2013 at 03:39 PM.

I think, if you are well prepared, your chances against the cat lord are quite good. Of course, if he starts right next to you, you might be in trouble, but then you could still climb up the stairs again and teleport away. Otherwise moster detection and web are your best frinds, poison or slayers to finish him off... I rarely died to him and I am already looking forward to an exciting fight on my current run.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Singbird View Post
    I don't know who you can and cannot affect with the thing, but a guaranteed and safe way to keep the cat lord, Fistanarius or Nuurag-Vaarn out of the fight indefinitely seems quite powerful. Maybe it would be interesting if it behaved like a normal missile and returned. So maybe you had to throw it many times to blind someone. It does hit always currently doesn't it?

On the other, say, Long Sting doesn't return and it is arguably a lot less useful to begin with, not being a guaranteed artifact. Unless this was changed, but I couldn't find an RFE or changelog for that.
    Isn't all the 'new' bosses immune to blindness, can't remember, I'll test against them anyway over the weekend with my current char. I would like if dopplegangers atleast deflected it, as I feel they should able to. Also maybe other 'alert' NPC to dodge or close their eyes in time to balance a returning phial.

There is atleast two guaranteed artifacts that return and a few not guaranteed and most of them can slay most monsters in one hit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray1 View Post
    Isn't all the 'new' bosses immune to blindness, can't remember, I'll test against them anyway over the weekend with my current char. I would like if dopplegangers atleast deflected it, as I feel they should able to. Also maybe other 'alert' NPC to dodge or close their eyes in time to balance a returning phial.

There is atleast two guaranteed artifacts that return and a few not guaranteed and most of them can slay most monsters in one hit anyway.
    I don't know about new bosses, since sadly I don't have access to newer prereleases. But if bosses nowadays are immune to blindness, then yeah why couldn't it return. I don't like the idea of making bosses immune to blindness. It seems sort of a cheap way out. Next they make wands of destruction destruct when used on the levers. : P

Who knows, the handles can only be detructed in the 'closed' position, many weird things in Ancardia.

I'm not confirming that all the bosses are immune. I haven't tried to use the blinding tactic on all of them recently, but I think chances are good. I'll check anyway over weekend, I hope.