Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: don't mess with cat lord

I believe that the only bosses that have gained extra immunities are the orb guardians and Andor, and they are definitely not all immune to blindness. My recollection was that the idea would be that each boss would pick up a few (different) immunities, but not all of them. Other bosses such as cat lord, MaLaKaI, ancient blue dragon, minotaur emperor, are unchanged AFAIK.

Phial returning would be ridiculously overpowered, IMHO.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Most of the bosses can still be blinded, including orb guardians. So, it's still very easy to disable them in that way.

*you animate the corpse of the thread*

I'm sure it's been done plenty of times already, but just to settle grobble's quest (and for bragging rights, obvs):

My ratling ranger just slaughtered the cat lord in a fair fight, in melee, dualwielding. Actually it wasn't really fair because he was invisible. What really surprised me was that I could have done it without healing (I healed once when I was down to ~250 HP, but only got hit for another 50 or so after that).

Funny part is, I had been intending to lure him off the level. I knew he was at the end of a long corridor, so slowly stepped down it planning to shoot him and retreat as soon as I saw him. Which might have worked, but I sort of forgot he's invisible (always had -seeI before I suppose). So suddenly "you feel some motions in your vicinity". Only source of see invisible was AMW, didn't fancy getting my kit off with Tibbles standing next to me. Ah well - berserk, 8 rounds later one dead cat lord and 150k xp in the bank.

From memory relevant stats were (didn't make a vlg but currently saved only a minute later):
    Level 31, DV/PV: 27/45, HP: 535, Speed: 187
    RH: Kinslayer, +135 to hit, 4d5+70 damage
    LH: Adamantium scimitar of mayhem, +130 to hit, 3d8+80 damage
    attack energy cost: 1060 (level 13)

Summary: perfectly doable if you're really fast and have mastery in your chosen weapon. As long as I stayed still, I would get a free round in against him every 4-5 turns.

Couple of things I noticed / questions: I seemed to get hit surprisingly infrequently, compared to what I expect from the cat lord. Does the Dodge skill or speed affect this other than through DV (which is abysmal). I noticed this fighting ancient dragons too, which are usually very accurate.
    Also, do you get a to-hit penalty attacking invisible foes? Almost every turn I'd miss with at least one of my attacks, despite +130s to-hit and the cat lord's ~65 DV.
    Gate closers: L+ DE Mindcrafter (p20), N= Gnomish Assasin (p20), N= Gnomish Mindcrafter (p23), N= Ratling Ranger (R49)

Quote Originally Posted by LexyBoy View Post
    My ratling ranger just slaughtered the cat lord in a fair fight, in melee, dualwielding.

From memory relevant stats were (didn't make a vlg but currently saved only a minute later):
    Level 31, DV/PV: 27/45, HP: 535, Speed: 187
    RH: Kinslayer, +135 to hit, 4d5+70 damage
    LH: Adamantium scimitar of mayhem, +130 to hit, 3d8+80 damage
    attack energy cost: 1060 (level 13)

Summary: perfectly doable if you're really fast and have mastery in your chosen weapon.
    Riiiiight.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

I *did say* that speed is important. I was really surprised at how easy it was – I'm sure it would have been possible even if putting out significantly less damage, you’d just have to heal more. Ditto on the HP, though below 400 would be very risky I think, you’d have to spend a lot of turns healing. It’s probably true that I got an unusually weak cat lord though.

>500 HP is pretty high for this point in the game I admit (when I first passed him I had ~450, came back 1 or 2 levels later), but it's still only about half what he has, hardly unfair.
    Gate closers: L+ DE Mindcrafter (p20), N= Gnomish Assasin (p20), N= Gnomish Mindcrafter (p23), N= Ratling Ranger (R49)

If the cat lord blind rages things can get ugly, I don't think he did in your case?
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I wasn't too worried as (1) IIRC blind rage has been toned down considerably in recent prereleases* and (2) most turns he'd do between 0 and ~80 damage, so even with double attacks he'd be lucky to crit me to death. Of course, he's a lucky bastard so who knows, maybe the RNG just thought I deserved a break.

*Though looking at the RFE it would appear that the cat lord could still get up to 6 attacks in, more likely just one extra though.