Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forum Challenge?

Default Forum Challenge?

I've been thinking that it might be a good time to think about doing some sort of a forum-wide challenge in the near-future. I've seen a fair number of new names on the boards recently, especially since the admission rules have cleared up and JADE beta has come out, so my thought was something fairly newbie friendly might be the way to go.

I'm leaning at the moment towards a reprise of the Mission ADOMPossible challenge that we tried last year. In that challenge, for those who don't know or don't remember, players were split into teams of 5, with 5 characters. Each person then played one character and had to complete a "mission" (eg. take your level 1 PC and complete a UD run) and every successful completion received a point for the team, and players rotated through surviving PCs after each mission. There were a couple problems with this challenge--the big one being that it took too long; we had to wait a week or more for each mission to finish, and everyone had to finish before we could advance. A month seems about the upper limit for how long people are prepared to care about challenges around here. And when someone died, they were out anyway, so participation still dropped off pretty fast, particularly among the newer players, which sort of defeats the purpose.

What I'm thinking is a similar sort of format, but try to streamline things a little bit. Namely that:

-Each mission would have a strict time limit (probably about 4-5 days, with maybe 7 missions total), location restrictions, and turn limit, (varies, but I think ~5000 or so should be appropriate for most of what I have in mind). Incomplete missions would not result in a death, just no points.
    -If a PC actually dies, the team is allowed to reroll a PC of the same race/class and play the next mission with the new PC. This would mean that all members would stay in the game; however, deaths would significantly handicap the team because they'd still have to complete their objectives with the newly rolled PC. For example, suppose mission 1 was "Get to HMV" and mission to was "get to dwarftown". If the dark elf thief died in his UD run, then he'd be rerolled by the team, but would have to proceed directly to the CoC, bypassing the UD entirely. I'd probably allow some overflow turns for people having to do these PCs. This would leave some much more difficult challenges for more experienced players to try.
    -I'm considering the idea of implementing "steals". What I was thinking would go like this: if a team manages to get all of their PCs to survive a mission, they get the option of stealing a PC from any opposing team that has at least one death in the same mission. So if you survive with all of your PCs, you could swap your thief for the another team's wizard or something.
    -Server play would be strongly encouraged...
    -I'd probably set the game to end by getting the Fire Orb rather than closing the gate. Or possibly getting the minotaur axe, because that's much more cruel, although the level-cap issue might cause problems there that I'd have to think about how to deal with (probably just adombot up the xps of all PCs below level 21 or something).

Is there any interest in this? Other ideas? Concerns?
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I'm for the challenge of course! "Stealing" seems fun, although surviving with all PCs is far from guaranteed. How about introducing "trading" characters between teams - we will need some score system, and these numbers can act like currency. This way experienced players can trade their more powerful char for a less powerful char and some game points.

Though I don't know whether we can get as many people as on previous occasions - not very much activity (except for Silfir) these days.

I was hoping that a lot of the regulars are still checking the site but just not posting all that much. The IRC group is still pretty active, at least.

I liked having steals in to keep some competitive aspect between the teams. I suppose that trades with points wouldn't be a problem, but I have a harder time imagining teams actually doing those sorts of trades. Maybe instead of everyone making it through, I give a steal to the team that completes the mission in the fewest number of turns (either individually, or combined, where fails count as the maximum for the mission).
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I'm not going to do tradesies with any of you other stupid n00b faggots.

I am definitely in favor of anything forum challenge-related, and I think placing strict restrictions on Mission ADOMpossible is the way to go with that one for sure. The "steals" system has a snowballing effect though - successful teams would be able to make the game even easier for themselves - and I'm in favor of a comeback mechanism, namely the exact opposite: The team with the least amount of points after each round gets to switch one of their PCs with one of the team with the highest - to be fair, though, they have to switch a surviving PC with a surviving one, or a dead PC with a dead one (i.e. switch their barely alive thief with the kiddy mode wizard, or their very dead thief with the wizard who suffered a freak accident). That way, the successful team can be sure that their surviving PCs will only get switched with a PC that managed to survive the previous round, at the very least, and at the same time weaker times can make up for the disadvantage of having handicapped PCs in later missions due to all the dying.

The big problem with ADOMpossible was twofold; the time it took, and that the first mission already caused too much of a gap between characters who could afford to farm all the early game dungeons thanks to an easy SMC and those who had to dive straight. Turn restrictions, harsher location restrictions and the like will stop that quite nicely.

There doesn't have to be more of a reward for successful play than scoring points. Comeback mechanisms will serve to hopefully bring Joe Newforummember a bit closer to the level of Soirana Challengewrecker.
    Last edited by Silfir; 09-27-2011 at 09:52 PM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I like the idea of missions, but I think adding team play just always throws
    a wrench in the gears. People forget, get busy, run lawnmowers over themselves,
    or just get bored and quit. Let them be individual missions. Here is my 2 cents.

I wanna randomness.
    I wanna low real life time demand.
    I wanna punishments for failures.
    I wanna punishments for successes.
    I wanna punishments for little reason or no reason at all.
    I wanna not come in last this time.

How about starting each player with an 'easy' class and generating a quest list
    comprised of easy, medium, and hard level quests. 1 point for easy, 2 for medium,
    3 for hard. Failure to complete a quest wouldn't mean you are out, just lose the
    PC (and therefore the points) and receive punishments. Those who complete their
    missions in a non-repectable manner should also receive punishments. This would
    include herb scumming, exessive turncount, etc... Those who complete their
    missions in an entirely respectable manner should also receive punishments, just
    lesser ones. Or maybe greater ones. We could all contribute toward thinking of
    various level missions/punishments/restrictions.

Missions:
    Easy: 'kill keethrax/jharod/tywat', 'save puppy', 'kill hotz with missiles'
    Medium: 'kill hotzenplotz in melee', 'reach xl 8 in the smc', 'get sors'
    Hard: 'kill leggot', 'kill thrundarr', 'kill a steel golem'
    Basically just missionss that take little time.

Punishments:
    Easy: 'lose weapons/armor/gold/etc...', 'kick yourself till 1/2 HP's
    Medium: 'pray until inventory cursed', 'make dt hostile'
    Hard: 'doom', 'drop all inventory in wilderness'
    Maybe make more than just 3 catagories, as doom is kinda game ending for many.
    Alternatively, reserve 'hard' punishments as very rare.

Classes:
    Easy: 'wizard', 'archer', 'barbarian'
    Medium: 'assassin', 'healer', 'weaponsmith'
    Hard: 'thief', 'farmer', 'merchant'
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I don't really like the idea of getting punished for everything... ADOM can kill players (especially newbies) fairly easily, so we shouldn't make it that much harder.

Being in teams will be good if we can create almost equally good teams and can solve time limits.

I like the basic idea of this challenge as well, so if it starts, I'd be interested in it.
    "The avatar I was... now the fool I am. Heed the warning."

I might make you play with a handicap :P

I loved the team element of ADOMpossible and the selection process that went into the creation of the PCs, so I'd love to have that given another shot.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    I like the idea of missions, but I think adding team play just always throws
    a wrench in the gears. People forget, get busy, run lawnmowers over themselves,
    or just get bored and quit. Let them be individual missions. Here is my 2 cents.

I wanna not come in last this time.
    Now, there's no fun in doing these things alone. In DttD we had a single target - make your opponent screw up and don't screw up yourself. While, for a specific mission like 'kill *foo* dual-wielding melons' you just don't get that much satisfaction if you achieve it, because 5 other people did it and 5 other people didn't.

When you're in a team, you at least experience some sort of cooperation, discuss strategies (well, maybe). And if you screwed up, you won't lose straight away (remember, you don't wanna come in in the last ).

This can be made much funnier if there's several different objectives (like you proposed for a singleplayer challenge) for each round of the game. Each team have their set of R/C combos and distributes one combo for a certain challenge for a certain player.

Little comments, just want to say I'm interested. The general idea seems fun.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.