Page 89 of 106 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast

Thread: minor things but undocumented

Quote Originally Posted by ilsekko View Post
    Hello again fellas! Didst ye know? Torgall sucks at latin! He just stated "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"...it should have been "videtur" instead, you old dwarvish serial drinker! Can't believe there's a typing error in ADOM, so it must have been the mead i guess.
    You should report this in the "typo collection" issue

Quote Originally Posted by StViers View Post
    Something I've not seen anywhere:

You can only train your shield to the dv bonus the shield grants ("you block" and "you deflect" being replaced by generic "they miss") so the higher the DV of the shield you have, the more ranks in "shields" you can accrue.
    And the harder it becomes to get them. But you can use "very aggressive" tactics to artificially lower your base DV and give the shield more chances of blocking attacks. Only Berserk prevents you from getting shield marks.

Quote Originally Posted by SirTheta View Post
    Critical hits can destroy rings under gauntlets. I had this happen a few weeks back with a red dragon (while not doomed/cursed) (to a blessed ring of invis) and I just came across this topic: http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...-Dooming-sucks which confirms it. I imagine this is extremely rare.
    An entry in the the changelog for 0.9.9g14 says "Rings can be destroyed due to armor damaging hits in melee combat, although you wear gauntlets." I'm not sure if this is a bug being acknowledged as such, or an intentional effect.
    Last edited by anon123; 10-06-2012 at 05:08 PM.
    "And light there be!"

If you completely fill a single staircase level (e.g. DD7) with closed doors, then stand in the stairs and try to teleport, you get a special message.

Missiles do less damage the farther you are from your target (maybe this was already known, but it's news to me).
    "And light there be!"

If you wish for "help" under normal situations, a random tame monster appears. However, if you wish for help while surrounded by monsters, and both hands are free, a weapon will appear in your hand. If one or both of your hands are occupied, said weapon is dropped in your pack, which will feel "heavier!". Weapons generated in this fashion are always blessed, and can be artifacts.
    "And light there be!"

Summoning djinni being surrounded by monsters: "The djinni strangles -foo- to have enough room for himself"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    If you wish for "help" under normal situations, a random tame monster appears. However, if you wish for help while surrounded by monsters, and both hands are free, a weapon will appear in your hand. If one or both of your hands are occupied, said weapon is dropped in your pack, which will feel "heavier!". Weapons generated in this fashion are always blessed, and can be artifacts.
    This is pretty amazing. Is that the only possible way to obtain an artifact through a wish?

Quote Originally Posted by sorrow View Post
    This is pretty amazing. Is that the only possible way to obtain an artifact through a wish?
    A guaranteed wish for an artifact would be for a potion of uselessness if you don't have one already. A bit late in the game though. I wish somebody could find an earlier use for said potion.
    Learn to learn.

This is still on 1.1.1...

But I think I've figured out a way to train Charisma, which is listed in both the Guidebook and the IGB as "no known way to train naturally". It's not certain, but I have a strong suspicion of how you do it.

Here's the situation. I've just created a new character, done my thing in Terinyo, headed for the Puppy Cave (PC:1), and managed to get myself Sick fighting a rat. There also happens to be a pool on this level, so I head there hoping for some luck of some sort. The second sip says "Wow! Pure beer!", while the seventh says "Great! Pure dwarven ale!"

A couple of sips later, vipers burst out, and I use Fire Bolt to kill them... and I get a level up. My muscles felt stronger and my health increased, which were expected. What wasn't expected was "You feel very self-confident."

Now, nothing else I've done can really explain that Ch stat boost. The Sickness affects almost all stats, but Charisma is one of the two that aren't affected. The stat itself was at 17 before the increase, so it wasn't due to very low values of a stat. The only thing that I can really put it down to is either the alcohol or the fact that I also "felt lucky" (+Lucky). And since I don't recall getting a Charisma increase in this way before, and the connection between alcohol and charisma makes some minor sense, I wonder if drinking booze trains Charisma, or perhaps specifically the Pure dwarven ale does?

(EDIT: On a side note, after draining that pool, I found another pool on PC:2 that gave me a Le increase, and then herbs on PC:3... with the ones in the room I entered in being Curaria and Alraunia. So Sickness is cured. I wonder if +Lucky had anything to do with that...)
    Last edited by Aielyn; 12-15-2012 at 01:06 PM.

You can get random increases to any stat at level up IIRC.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

If you find a green weapon, hang on to it. They're immune to corrosion, so great for clearing out jelly pits if you don't have anything eternium, stone, or crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by BenMathiesen View Post
    If you find a green weapon, hang on to it. They're immune to corrosion, so great for clearing out jelly pits if you don't have anything eternium, stone, or crystal.
    Interesting, has anyone ever tested with the other colours? I wonder whether it would be immune to other acid damage.
    Yellow immune to shock etc.
    Last edited by Stingray1; 12-15-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    Learn to learn.