Page 33 of 106 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast

Thread: minor things but undocumented

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    >From my in game mmories all minotaurs fall in this category.

Flag must de-activate when they panic.
    My experience suggests this isn't tied to monsters, but rather to areas - hostile mobs in the Pyramid, Dwarven Crypt, Darkforge, elemental temples etc. won't trigger traps, ever - unless they panic. A bit like the heat in the ToEF never affects hostile creatures, only friendlies and pets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpernickel View Post
    My experience suggests this isn't tied to monsters, but rather to areas - hostile mobs in the Pyramid, Dwarven Crypt, Darkforge, elemental temples etc. won't trigger traps, ever - unless they panic. A bit like the heat in the ToEF never affects hostile creatures, only friendlies and pets.
    so if I bring a pet there and it turns on me it stops getting injured the moment it becomes hostile? Do the same apply to drowning in the water cave? I hope not =P
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

Perhaps I'm hallucinating, but I don't think the "You feel imminent
    danger... but the feeling passes" necessarily means you're in the
    safe zone. I just got that message and a werewolf lord popped up
    on D:2, at level 8.
    Code:
    Really kick the child? [y/N]

....@.....
    ....t.....
    Yo dawg I heard you like buffalo so I put buffalo in your Buffalo now you can buffalo Buffalo buffalo while your Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo!

Ultras: GE Farmer, Hurthling Thief, Orc Weaponsmith
    Wins: HE Priest, GE Wizard, Human Necromancer, Gnome Elementalist, HE barbarian, Gnome Mindcrafter, Hurthling Paladin, Troll Healer

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Two things I learned today:

-Flying creatures (bats) can't trigger traps.
    Yeah, I remembered that speccing your game. I think Kearns first discovered that, iirc.

Random lol pic of the day (Jaakkos' server):

Quote Originally Posted by goldaryn View Post
    Yeah, I remembered that speccing your game. I think Kearns first discovered that, iirc.

Random lol pic of the day (Jaakkos' server):

I didn't get what was funny until I saw it was in the Tower. Also, you get weird results when naming invisible creatures "someone" and "something".
    The RNG is the source of chaos and corruption.
    "You talk to molest, the female dwarven child. Molest, the female dwarven child, grunts: "Me wanna sugar, please?"

Hehe, I had a room of Frost Giants (possibly Jarls even) in the tower once.

This thread needs more fun facts!

* Eating a fairy dragon cures sickness.
    * Long bows shoot farther than short bows. (Yeah, this seems obvious, but it was actually mildly surprising to me when I first noticed it :P)
    * You get a bonus to running away when you're less than 1/3hp and in Coward mode (I am aware this is in the manual, but it's something I actually never knew until just recently and I figure others may have missed it too).
    * Bards always start with a wand of light.
    * You gain a small amount of experience from sacrificing monsters.

[Highlight to read] Possibly source-derived spoilyness (nothing major in this set):
    * Blup enjoys candy more than children do.
    * Giving the village healer healing equipment raises your alignment.
    * Pools have about a 1% chance of granting a wish.
    * The blessed/uncursed/cursed status of morgia roots doesn't matter for training at all.
    * An amulet of protection from undead protects against banshee's wail a little bit -- but not enough to be a good idea unless you have much higher HP than most characters at that point.
    * Wizards, priests, druids, and necromancers are 10 times more likely to find spellbooks.

I might have overlooked it in the guidebook, but anyway:

Some classes have different amounts of starting gold: as is commonly known, merchants get _a lot_ of gold (5x normal?), monks none (unless they blow their starting talents on wealth options).
    However, some classes seem to get double the normal gold. Those are
    Mindcrafters and the three 'arcane' casters, Necromancer, Chicken Fucker and Elementalist.

Oops! 'Wizard'! They're called wizards! I'm sorry if i've insulted any poultry molesters.

Other starting gear titbits, under the caveat that these were taken from starting one char per race/class combo:
    Orc, drakeling and hobbit druid started with a leather belt. High Elf, Grey Elf and Hobbit Priest started with a musical instrument in the pack. Necromancers have a significant chance of starting with an alignment tract or a book of fortune cookie messages _instead_ of a book of frost bolt.
    EDIT: and farmers get a lot of extra, race-typical food: iron rations, large rations, dried meat, elven bread, spider bread, dwarven bread, hurthling bread, candy.

Dark elves _never_ get torches in their starting gear, even if it's standard for their class (wizard and bard). Dark elf bards still get the usual wand of light.
    Last edited by Pumpernickel; 10-29-2009 at 10:28 PM.

Orc, drakeling and hobbit druid started with a leather belt.
    Belt?

High Elf, Grey Elf and Hobbit Priest started with a musical instrument in the pack. Necromancers have a significant chance of starting with an alignment tract or a book of fortune cookie messages _instead_ of a book of frost bolt.
    Had this happen to me in the Mission ADOMPossible challenge. Very annoying.

EDIT: and farmers get a lot of extra, race-typical food: iron rations, large rations, dried meat, elven bread, spider bread, dwarven bread, hurthling bread, candy.
    So do beastfighters.

Dark elves _never_ get torches in their starting gear, even if it's standard for their class (wizard and bard). Dark elf bards still get the usual wand of light.
    Gnomes always seem to start with firemaking gear. Also, the only difference in gear between high and grey elves is that grey elves start with elven bread, whereas high elves start with rations.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

The Necromancery thing is because they start with a Random BOOK, rather than a Spellbook specifically. I would almost consider this a bug - at least, it is something that should be changed. A ~10% chance of starting out with utterly garbage instead of a much-needed early spellbook is rubbish. (I'd also suggest any relevant contest games that have a Necromancer start without their spellbook be allowed a re-roll.) Magic-user starting equipment is pretty random in general - their potions, rings, scrolls, etc. can be usually be anything low-DangerLevel rather than a specific item (Mindcrafters do always get stun resistance).

I don't think most people care about the Leather Girdles, but it's just one more of those odd things I guess. I could just drop the entire list, heh. Nah - but I will point out a few more interesting ones:

I will go ahead and list some more fun ones while we're on the topic though:
    * As mentioned above, Gnomish Farmers apparently have fields of taffy instead of grain...
    * Orcish Merchants start with 3 different types of weapons. Pick your favorite I guess? (I think you'll probably just always pick the Broadsword, but I guess you could throw the club and dagger...)
    * Trolls pretty much universally start with garbage equipment; the more magically inclined they are, the more likely their equipment will be more like everybody else's (e.g. you'll still generally get the potions, scrolls, etc. but you won't be getting extra armor, weapons, etc. most of the time.)
    * If you're looking for fire resistance to try some flavor of Burning Man challenge (or whatever the insta-ToEF challenge is called), consider Weaponsmiths and Elementalists.
    * Hurtling Fighters sometimes try their hand at bows instead of the traditional rocks.
    * This is probably obvious, but Gnomes usually start with a rather handy pair of Gnomish Boots - except Druids and Barbarians for some reason.
    * Different healers have different ideas of what costitutes good healing practices. They'll all get some traditional healing potions, but Orcs * Dark Elves start with Poison, and Gnomes start with Booze!
    * Drakish Rangers get both Bracers of Defense (Most Drakelings get Bracers) and a Ring of Protection - filling two semi-rare slots with some armor early on.
    * Drakeling Assassins & Priests get Bracers of Protection instead of Defense which is very nice early on -- though this would be more noteworthy if they started with any other decent PV items, which they do not :P
    * Dwarvish Paladins generally start with at least a whopping 11PV (I think this is more than anything else?). They are probably a very good newbie recommendation because of this; that should definitely give them some solid survivability early on without some of the Troll negatives.
    * In addition to Gnomes, Humans and Hurtlings also start with firemaking gear.
    * In addition to the spellcaster types mentioned above, most Bards also recieve an extra helping of gold.
    * Troll & Drakeling Paladins get a random weapon.
    * Orcs, Humans, Drakelings, and Dwarves will often start with a Medium Shield, if they're a warrior type class (Fighter, Paladin, Priest, and even Orcish Assassin). This varies between each class but probably not worth giving specifics for.

I'm thinking there really isn't much more to mention here now, hehe. Most of the interesting stuff has been listed now...

Human barbarians start with an amulet of luck. Dunno why.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.