Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No artifact for you!

Thumbs down No artifact for you!

Just started a gray elf wizard. Read the spell books and took the quests in Terinyo. Went to DD right away to get Keethrax generated.

First level of DD: "You feel a surge of power." An artifact right away!?? Awesome! You know what's not so awesome, though? Brankar the guardian and his artifact happened to be right there in that first room. Jerk off stunned me on the first hit. He then proceeded to pummel and corrupt me 'til my PC's body couldn't take any more abuse (obviously, that didn't take very long at all). I didn't even get to see what the artifact was before dying. Ended up being the black tome of Alsophocus. Great, I died right away for an artifact that's not even very useful. Meh.

LOL

Code:

#########
                                         #.".....#
                                         #..<....#
                                         #....@@.+
                                         #########

Layla         St:10  Le:15  Wi:14  Dx:16  To:11  Ch: 9  Ap:20  Ma:21  Pe:15 N=
    DV/PV: 19/1    H: -4(17)      P: 33(33)      Exp: 1/0           DD: 1 Sp: 91
    Strained Coward
    ------------------------------------------------------

Layla, the gray elven wizard, was killed by Brankar.
    She scored 1327 points.
    She survived for 0 years, 0 days, 22 hours, 26 minutes and 30 seconds (146
    turns).
    Layla visited 3 places.
    She ended her adventuring life in a sinister dungeon on level 1.
    She did not manage to vanquish any monsters.
    The following artifact was generated during her adventure:
      the black tome of Alsophocus
    She had the following talents: Good Learner, Potent Aura.
    She had a final speed score of 91 (final base speed: 101).
    She was not particularly religious.
    She did not ask for divine help.
    She was neutrally aligned.
    She was slightly tainted by Chaos.

Layla, the gray elven wizard, was killed by Brankar.
    Just like that? What monster was it? I'm guessing a chaos brother/sister, as it's an @ and you mentioned corrupting hits.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Just like that? What monster was it? I'm guessing a chaos brother/sister, as it's an @ and you mentioned corrupting hits.
    Yes, it was just like that (lol), and he was a chaos brother. He was right next to me as soon as I entered, so I couldn't leave. I was hoping I could bolt him to death, but he was on me like stink on sh*t in no time. I don't think I've ever died in the very first dungeon room before, but as many deaths as I've racked up over the years, who knows for sure?

She did not manage to vanquish any monsters.
    Kinda sad when you think about it. You didn't even last one whole day. And being strained probablly didn't help, but I'm not sure that made much of a difference.

That PC's decision to become an adventurer was indeed a regrettable one.

Well, if I was lighter I may have been able to move in a more defensive manner, but still probably not enough to create any kind of distance. Or as you said, difference.

Quote Originally Posted by nateskeez View Post
    Yes, it was just like that (lol), and he was a chaos brother. He was right next to me as soon as I entered, so I couldn't leave. I was hoping I could bolt him to death, but he was on me like stink on sh*t in no time. I don't think I've ever died in the very first dungeon room before, but as many deaths as I've racked up over the years, who knows for sure?
    A regular chaos brother/sister will have a typical speed of about 170. There wasn't much you could do unless you had teleport or invis.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I'm not sure why you died with full PP though...
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

That's true. Turn on Coward mode, and either try to cast through the stun (it can work!) or pray until you're out of prayers or no longer stunned.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I'm not sure why you died with full PP though...
    Well I did say I was hoping I could bolt him, but I never actually did. I knew any spell I had at level 1 wouldn't do crap, so my instinct was to try and get away, or at least make some distance to be able to safely bolt him a few times, since I couldn't leave the level.
    Natch, I brain farted in regards to my horrible speed at the time, and he moved with me and wailed on me.
    Oh well, I never said I was any good at this game.