Thread: Wilderness Encounters

Default Wilderness Encounters

Something ive never experienced before, in however long i have been playing now. Every step i took with my drakeling barbarian on his way to CoC resulted in an encounter. I mean every step.

What could be the reason? I dont think i was doomed or anything, unless I had done something without realising.

Annoying anyway :/
    Life is measured not by the breaths that you take, but by the moments which take your breath away

Last killed by: Killer fish. Forgot about ice bridge weight limit >_<

Question

Aside from being cursed/doomed, I've also wondered if the RNG has any means of deciding how frequent wilderness encounters are, or if it's purely the RNG itself at work. I've never had them as frequent as your particular PC did, but some games it seems like it's every 2nd or 3rd step. Others games, I've walked from Holeinthewall to the CoC and had maybe 2 encounters.

Perhaps the local veterans know more...

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftJC View Post
    Something ive never experienced before, in however long i have been playing now. Every step i took with my drakeling barbarian on his way to CoC resulted in an encounter. I mean every step.

What could be the reason? I dont think i was doomed or anything, unless I had done something without realising.
    Since it's possible to acquire cursing or dooming through items, you may want to see if you have any equipped (black torc, javelins of doom, etc.), and drink a potion of insight otherwise. An encounter every step sounds too high to be a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by nateskeez View Post
    Aside from being cursed/doomed, I've also wondered if the RNG has any means of deciding how frequent wilderness encounters are, or if it's purely the RNG itself at work.
    I believe it's just a fixed percentage that varies depending on the kind of tile you're stepping on, and increases if you have the bad luck intrinsics. I know it's 0&#37; for water and the road that leads to Terinyo, so you won't have any encounters there no matter what.
    "And light there be!"

Okay thanks, I think it was dooming it after all. I just got perma paralyzed by a carrior crawler. I didnt bother checking the dump, but im convinced it was dooming now.
    Life is measured not by the breaths that you take, but by the moments which take your breath away

Last killed by: Killer fish. Forgot about ice bridge weight limit >_<

I think you can delete posts yourself. You click "Edit" to find the option, which is a bit confusing.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    I think you can delete posts yourself. You click "Edit" to find the option, which is a bit confusing.
    Oh, that's neat. I didn't notice it. Thank you!
    "And light there be!"