Thread: What is "nograin"?

Default What is "nograin"?

As you probably know, the unidentified appearance of a wedding ring in ADOM is "nograin ring". However, I have no idea of what nograin is. None of the dictionaries I have consulted list the word, and using three different search engines to look it up only gave me results about no-grain diets. I know this is a somewhat stupid question, but do you guys have any idea about it?

I've also searched this forum and Brinkster in case it's been asked before. Apparently that's not the case in either site.
    "And light there be!"

Post Nograin...

You know how wood has grain, right? I kinda assumed that it was referring to a ring made out of grain-less wood, implausible though such a thing may be.

Then again, I don't know offhand what material type the game considers wedding rings to be made out of, so I might just be talking out of my ass.

Tech wise nograin is considered being various.

From what i do know "various" does not include - standard metals [iron, mithril and upper ones], wood, leather, cloth, gold, stone and probably something else i missed [edit: glass and crystal most certainly]. It does include some other metals like strange metal girdles, brass rings, girdles of greed [presumably copper, i think], pearls, corals [2s necklaces].

Given how game sometimes uses anagrams I did rolled nograin through transmutation looking up variations which sounded reasonable. Best i ever saw was girlish Norwegian name, but, well again, my English was never top level to start with.

Personally i believe it being anagram of "no angry" but that is rather stretched version.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Just a thought, but would it be possible that it isn't english at all, but something else instead, like, I don't know, german?

It's definitely not German. I always assumed it simply means "a ring of unspecified material that doesn't show any grain".

Or maybe it means a ring made out of solidified migraine, who knows.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Actually surprising what info you can dig just by asking some people....

Nairgon - backwards from nograin actually appears to be some sort of african timber, in particular type of ironwood.

English is probably ironwood, Latin - Heritiera ulilius, Nairgon probably being local name. actually from what i've got looks like niangon looks like being more common version of same.

Although i am rather sure, that is not meaning behind material.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

well, since the Banshee's scream causes you to have the ultimate migraine, an exploded head, i always thought it was short for "no migraine"...but i dunno which is worse, having my head explode, or having to listen to the Banshee constantly scream as she nags at me to take out the trash, stop playing video games, pay attention to her etc.

For some reason, I always thought it mean that it was a simple ring... something like "nonchalant".

Of course, there's no rational reason to believe that, it's just the trick my mind plays on me when I see that word.

I think I found it. Maybe it's some kind of grainless wood fiber material:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3203,3379379

"* Made from wood fibers * Has the beauty of wood with no grain, knots or splits"

Or, well, something like that, anyway. Hey, it's as good a guess as any. Don't ask how they get that stuff on Ancardia, though.

Last edited by mike3; 03-12-2012 at 09:09 PM.

in all of ancardia, there is no grain. this is why the loaves of bread all weigh 40 stones.
    elf bread doesn't count, as it is made of the same stuff as elven chain mail.
    the ring isn't made of mithril, it isn't made of bread, it isn't made of elves, and it isn't
    made of grain, thus... nograin.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."