Thread: 4th Victory: Dark Elf Wizard

Default 4th Victory: Dark Elf Wizard

I've been playing less common classes for a while, but I figured I should try something mainstream. This character has only the 4th highest score of my wins, but he took the fewest turns to win, and having every spell made for a few fun actions.

I started with a Wand of Digging, Wand of Fire, Book of Light, and Book of Lightning Bolt.

I had an easy time getting the blanket in the Small Cave and there were herbs and forges toward the end of the UD, which was handy later. I didn't realize until I got to the HMV just how little money I would get for selling things. Ow.

I had a neutral altar on PC:1 but it was blocked off from most of the level by a river. Both sets of stairs were near the altar, so I dragged monsters up from PC:2 to live sac for precrown. There was a potion shop on PC:2 that I bought from while doing this, thus generating a lot of Troll Blood, Raw Mana, Water, and Exchanges. I got Purifier as a precrowning gift, so I decided to melee often as the game went on. I eventually took on Fisty in melee on D:50 just for kicks. I was crowned with Staff of the Magi after I killed Rehetep, and I never even kept that thing in my inventory.

The first room of PC:3 was a "shelves of books" room, which was super handy after the Library (as I had Teleportitis). The Puppy Cave was awfully good to me on this character.

The Corruption list was terribly kind--Astral Space right after my first Blink Dog corpse, then something benign, then Mana Battery as the third (which I didn't get until I had too many spells to need wands). I had tons of PP, cheap spells, and frequent free teleportation, what's not to like?

Wally offered even worse prices than the HMV, but there was a book shop on D:8. I don't think anything ever challenged me after I found that book shop, though a couple of Berzerker Emperors nearly critted me to death later.

The RGN didn't give me any wishes, Seven League Boots, or AoLS, but that potion shop made it easy to dip rings on D:8. I got a Crown of Lightning from the Dwarven Graveyard, but a giant in a vault smashed it right before the Air Temple, so it didn't help with my items. (I was, however, crowned with Shock Immunity and wearing Blue Dragon Scale. Also, that same vault had the Crown of Leadership. )

At some point after the Dwarftown quests, Library, and Bug Temple (in which a Killer Bug had been carrying Executor ), I was in the processes of stairhopping for a Scroll of Repair to fix my pickaxes so I could keep Smithing when I realized that I was ludicrously powerful. Having noticed this, I proceeded to smash the Tower without any real preparation, then Dive straight down to D:50 and basically steamroll the whole game along the way. I pretty much chose my tactics on the basis of style instead of effectiveness and nothing ever really challenged me. I even found a non-racist general-purpose shopkeeper around D:35.

On the way up from the gate I fired an Earthquake or two on every level, just because I could. I found a ton of incredible gear on the way up, which was mildly insulting, but whatever.

I petrified both of those racist Dwarven pricks and kept them in my inventory as trophies. Interestingly, while Petrify will make the shopkeeper hostile and give you an alignment hit, it will NOT Curse you, summon guards, or make villagers angry. It took a good many castings to stick for each shopkeeper, but not so many that it strained my PP.

I decided to use Death Ray to complete the Unicorn Quest, but the Greater Black Unicorn wouldn't fall to it. Ironically, a single shot of Petrify took him down.

I of course did not harm my helpful Book and Potion merchants.

Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                     Screenshot

^^^           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^         ^^^^^^
           ^^*^^^^        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^=====^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^@.^
          ^===""""~       ^^*^^^&&&&&&&~~~~~~~~~~~~^*^^=======^^*^^^^^^^^^^^^..^^
       ^^===="""~~~~      ^^^&&&&&&o&&&&&&&~~~~~~~&&&========="""""""&&^~^^*^.^^
      ^^^"""""~~~^^^      ^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&==""""""""""&&~~~^....^
      ^"""""~~^^*^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&""""=""""""""""&&&&&o..~^^^
     ^^^"""~~~^^^^^^^*^~~~~~~^o^^^*^"""""""""""""""""""=="""""""""&&&&&&&&&&^^^^
     ^^~~~~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^""""""""""""""""""""=""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&~~^^^
     ^*^~^^^^^~~~^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"""""&&&&"""*&&&&""""=="""""&&&&&&&&&&&&~~*^^^^
      ^^^^^^^^~~~~~~"o""""^^"""""""""&&&&&&&&&......^^^^=="""""""&&o&&&&~~~~^^^^^
           ^^^~~~~"""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&.^^*^^===""""""&&&&&&~~~^^^^^^
          ^^~~~~~"""""""""""""""&&&&&&&*&*&&&&&&&&&....^^^^==="""&&""&&&~~~~~^^^
         ^^^&""""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&*&&&&&&&&&.""""""===="""""~~~~~^^^^^^
        ^^^^&&""""""""""""""""&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&""""""==""====""~~~*^^^^^*^
        ^^^*^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&^^^*^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&&"""""===""""""""~~~~^^^^ ^~^
        ^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&&&&^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^&&&&&&&&&&""""""=^^"""~^^^^^^^^^o^
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+^^^^^^^^^^^^
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Rilikobold    St:42  Le:44  Wi:48  Dx:45  To:39  Ch:44  Ap:27  Ma:62  Pe:28 N=
    DV/PV: 79/68   H: 721(721)    P: 1288(1288)  Exp: 50/24396686   DrCh  Sp: 160
    Blessed
                                Background Information
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Name: Rilikobold          Race: male Dark Elf       Class: Wizard
    Age: 137 (grown-up, 6 years of unnatural aging added in)
    Star sign: Dragon         Birthday: 15/Dragon (day 165 of the year)

Inventory
    Total weight: 17830 stones                Carrying capacity: 74675 stones

He: crown of leadership [+2, +7] {Ch+18}                 Greater Giant vault near D:40
    Ne: sapphire amulet "Preserver" [+4, +4] {Wi+7}          Greater Undead vault near D:45
    Bo: empowered eternium plate mail (-1, -2) [-1, +15]     As I walked home! Bah!
    Gi: girdle of carrying [+2, +4]                               
    Cl: cloak of protection [+0, +6]                              
    RH: rune-covered heavy mace "Purifier"                   Precrowning!
    LH: medium eternium shield [+16, +7]                                
    RR: ring of slaying (+7 melee, +6 missile)     
    LR: ring of the High Kings [+2, +3]                           
    Br: bracers of toughness [+2, +3] {To+4}                    
    Ga: iron gauntlets "Ironfist"                            Greater Giant vault near D:40 
    Bo: seven league boots (+1, +1) [+3, +4]                 Wish. Not one random set ever.              
    MW: heavy crossbow of accuracy (+9, +3)                     
    Mi: 30 bland quarrels (+1, 2d6)                             
    Tl: blessed everburning torch [+1, +0]                   A first for me; loved it!          

Stuff

Total weight: 16979 stones   Carrying capacity: 74675 stones

Armor ('[')
       red dragon scale mail (-1, -4) [+5, +15]             Darkforge, some Smithing.
       blue dragon scale mail (-1, -4) [+2, +10]            Darkforge, some Smithing.
       leather armor of life (+1, +1) [+0, +5]              As I walked home! Bah!
    Shields ('[')
       tower eternium shield (+2) [+13, +4]                 As I walked home! Bah!
    One-handed weapons ('(')
       rustproof phase dagger (+7, 1d4+4)                   UD drop, served me well.
       stone spear of penetration (-2, 1d8+2)               As I walked home! Bah!
       dwarven pick axe "Hammerhead"                    Lesser red dragon vault near D:30
       knife of endurance (+6, 1d3+4) {To+7}                As I walked home! Bah!
       spear of penetration (+1, 1d8)                       As I walked home! Bah!
    Two-handed weapons ('(')
       staff of the archmagi                                Crowning. Meh.
       glaive "Long Sting"                                 Greater Undead vault near D:45
       rune-covered trident                          Appeared SAME turn as D:49 gift, lol.
    Tools (']')
       magical writing set (5)                              As I walked home! Bah!
       mimic hivemind statue                        I hate these things. Trophy.
       shopkeeper statue of "Waldenbrook"           Racist prick, now he decorates my home.
       shopkeeper statue of "Leggot"                Racist prick, now he decorates my home.
    Rings ('=')
       heap of 8 blessed rings of djinni summoning           I am maybe a pack rat. Used 2.
    Wands ('\')
                 I burned most of these for PP -- Twice, once I hit level 32.
    Potions ('!')
       heap of 9 blessed potions of exchange                    Leftovers.
       heap of 4 bland potions of cure corruption               Never used any.
    Scrolls ('?')
       heap of 12 blessed scrolls of chaos resistance          Wizards rarely need these.
    Books ('"')
       blessed spellbook of Wish                              Library. Learned, never cast.

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon           Lvl   Hit   Dam   DV   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Unarmed fighting         2    +2    +0   +0   basic                70
    Daggers & knives         7    +6    +3   +1   skilled              802
    Maces & flails          11   +10    +7   +4   Mastery              4884
    Pole arms                7    +7    +3   +6   skilled              545

Missile weapon         Lvl   Hit   Dam   Ra   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Bows                     4    +8    +6   +1   skilled              36
    Crossbows                4    +8    +6   +1   skilled              17

Shields                Lvl   DV               Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---              -------------  --------------
    Shields                  9   +18              excellent            991

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
    --------------------------------------
    ÆRight hand: Î+109Æ bonus to hit, Î4d5+43Æ damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
    ----------------------------------------
    ÆAmmunition: Î30Æ, base range: Î14Æ, Î+68Æ bonus to hit, Î2d6+32Æ damage

Skills

Alchemy ..................100    (superb)       
      Alertness ................100    (superb)       
      Backstabbing .............100    (superb)       
      Bridge building .......... 14    (mediocre)     
      Climbing .................100    (superb)       
      Concentration ............100    (superb)       
      Courage ..................100    (superb)      
      Detect traps .............100    (superb)       
      Disarm traps .............100    (superb)      
      Find weakness ............100    (superb)       
      First aid ................100    (superb)      
      Haggling ................. 81    (great)        
      Healing ..................100    (superb)       
      Herbalism ................100    (superb)       
      Listening ................100    (superb)       
      Literacy .................100    (superb)       
      Mining ...................100    (superb)       Scroll of Education. Awesome.
      Pick locks ...............100    (superb)       
      Pick pockets .............100    (superb)       
      Smithing .................100    (superb)      
      Stealth ..................100    (superb)      
      Swimming .................100    (superb)       
      Tactics ..................100    (superb)       
      Two weapon combat ........ 80    (great)        
      Ventriloquism ............ 97    (superb)

Code:
                                       Spells

Acid Ball           :  2730  (+14)     Book shop on D:8, but I prefer fire.
       Acid Bolt           :  1124  (+7)      First found in Library.
       Bless               :  2765  (+2)      Found shortly before Crowning.
       Burning Hands       :  3678  (+27)     Found early, used often.
       Calm Monster        :  6588  (+13)     Personal favorite. Used it whimsically.
       Create Item         :   966  (+1)      Library only. Meant to use this, but forgot.
       Cure Critical Wounds:  2387  (+6)      Found early, used often.
       Cure Disease        :  2308  (+1)        
       Cure Light Wounds   :  6088  (+6)      Found early, used often.
       Cure Serious Wounds :  6475  (+2)      First found in Library. Rarely used.
       Darkness            :  3914  (+8)      Used only to train Wi while Stunned.
       Death Ray           :  3437  (+5)      Book shop on D:8.
       Destroy Undead      :  3121  (+6)      For Ghuls, before I found Paralyze resist.
       Disarm Trap         :  2362  (+3)        
       Earthquake          :   729  (+5)      Cast 1-2 times per level as I walked home. >:-)
       Farsight            :  1969  (+12)
       Fire Bolt           :  6803  (+32)     I like it 'cause it cooks corpses.
       Fireball            :  1008  (+24)     I like it 'cause it cooks corpses.
       Frost Bolt          :  4985  (+20)     Bridge-building in PC:1 + 2 red dragon vaults
       Greater Identify    :   994  (+4)      Holy crap this is handy.
       Heal                :  1345  (+3)      First found in Library.
       Ice Ball            :  1801  (+11)     2 red dragon vaults + many fire giants + Temple
       Identify            :  2355  (+4)      Holy crap this is handy.
       Improved Fireball   :  1049  (+9)      Bugs and other distant clustered menaces.
       Invisibility        :  5025  (+10)     Mostly in vaults.
       Knock               :  2674  (+5)
       Know Alignment      :  1617  (+1)      Handy for live sacs as a Neutral, actually!
       Light               : 11466  (+18)
       Lightning Ball      :   875  (+4)      Library only. Sad, I like this one.
       Lightning Bolt      :  5773  (+29)     Starting spell, bouncy havoc.
       Magic Lock          :  2569  (+5)
       Magic Map           :  1439  (+10)     Holy crap this is handy.
       Magic Missile       :  8436  (+50)     Saves loot, shoots around corners! Beautiful!
       Mystic Shovel       :  1724  (+7)      Especially handy when you can't use wands.
       Neutralize Poison   :  1808  (+1)
       Petrification       :   911  (+4)      Used almost entirely on the two racist shopkeepers.
       Remove Curse        :  5249  (+4)      
       Revelation          :  3257  (+3)      
       Scare Monster       :  1153  (+1)
       Slow Monster        :  5600  (+9)      Personal favorite. Kiss my ass, Emperor Liches.
       Slow Poison         :  2130  (+1)
       Strength of Atlas   :  5935  (+18)     Found early and also often, saved a couple Talents.
       Stun Ray            :  5584  (+15)     Used on self to train Wi.
       Summon Monsters     :  1774  (+4)      Found early, actually saved me from starvation!
       Teleportation       :  6911  (+20)
       Web                 :  7740  (+4)
       Wish                :   237  (+0)      I figured I should know every spell. Never cast.

His further life:

After he leaves the Drakalor Chain he is welcomed by his people with great
    honors. They acknowledge his noble deeds, his valor, his cunning and his
    great skills that helped to prevent the complete destruction of the world he
    knows. He returns to his lands victorious and is hailed as a great leader.
    Eventually he becomes king and settle the many differences among your
    people, allowing his people to prosper and grow.

Code:
                  His achievements during his adventures:

Rilikobold, the dark elven wizard, saved the world with his brave efforts
    and became a great ruler while saving himself 63 times.
    He scored 15056176 points and advanced to level 50.
    He survived for 0 years, 259 days, 8 hours, 34 minutes and 38 seconds
    (216397 turns).
    Rilikobold visited 128 places.
    His strength score was modified by +25 during his career.
    His learning score was modified by +26 during his career.
    His willpower score was modified by +25 during his career.
    His dexterity score was modified by +26 during his career.
    His toughness score was modified by +25 during his career.
    His charisma score was modified by +14 during his career.
    His appearance score was modified by +15 during his career.
    His mana score was modified by +39 during his career.
    His perception score was modified by +10 during his career.
    He was unnaturally aged by 6 years.
    He was the champion of the arena.
    He was the head of the thieves guild.
    He made a little water dragon very happy.
    He defeated the arch enemy of a mighty karmic wyrm.
    He stopped the generation of nasty bugs.
    He saved Khelavaster from certain death.
    He left the Drakalor Chain after completing his quest and became a great
    leader and famous hero.
    9264 monsters perished under his attacks.
    The following 31 artifacts were generated during his adventure:
      scorched spear                           Lesser orc vault around D:20.
      rune-covered trident                     Same turn as D:49 gift!
      sword of Nonnak
      elemental gauntlets
      ring of the High Kings
      phial of Caladriel
      crown of science                         To sell it, because I was poor.
      ancient mummy wrapping
      ankh
      rune-covered club "Skullcrusher"         Black Market, start of game, didn't buy.
      glaive "Long Sting"                      Greater undead vault around D:45
      black rune-covered dagger "Needle"
      black rune-covered dagger "Sting"
      jet-black battle axe "Executor"          A Killer Bug, in the temple. Scary.
      staff of the archmagi                    Crowning. Lame.
      rune-covered heavy mace "Purifier"       Precrown. Used often, just for kicks.
      sapphire amulet "Preserver"              Greater undead vault around D:45
      crown of leadership                      Greater giant vault around D:40
      dwarven pick axe "Hammerhead"            Lesser red dragon vault around D:30
      iron gauntlets "Ironfist"                Greater giant vault around D:40
      black tome of Alsophocus                 D:49. Grrrrr.
      weird tome                               I used longer than 2000 turns fighting.
    He possessed the following intrinsics:
      He was fire resistant (enhanced through an item).
      He was poison resistant (enhanced through items).
      He was cold resistant (enhanced through an item).
      He was acid resistant.
      He was lucky (enhanced through items).
      Fate smiled upon him.
      He was able to control teleportation.
      He was stun resistant (gained through an item).
      He was paralyzation resistant (gained through an item).
      He was shock resistant (enhanced through an item).
      He was able to see invisible things (gained through an item).
      He was immune to shock attacks.                                         Crowning.
      He was able to resist confusion attacks (gained through an item).
    He had the following talents: Alert, Careful, Charged, Defensive Fighter,
    Good Shot, Greased Lightning, Hardy, Mighty Aura, Miser, Potent Aura, Quick,
    Shield Expert, Shield Specialist, Strong Aura, Strong Magic, Treasure
    Hunter, Very Careful, Very Quick.
    He had a final speed score of 160 (final base speed: 160).
    He was a messiah of Anssaria.                                      Praise to Anssaria.
    He asked for 3 divine interventions.               Pre-crown, Crown, and PP down deep.
    He was a holy champion of Balance.                                 Praise to Anssaria.

The following monsters were vanquished:
          2 acid vortices                Apparently you can't Petrify these. Oh well.
          3 ancient black dragons
          5 ancient blue dragons
          1 ancient blue wyrm             
          2 ancient karmic dragons
          5 ancient red dragons
          1 ancient white dragon
          5 ankhegs                      No bodies.
          9 balors                       I like to clear out D:50.
          2 beggars                      Accidental.
          6 berserker emperors           These caused most of the damage I ever took.
          1 black unicorn                Shrugged 20 Death Rays, Petrified 1st try. Huh.
          1 bone golems
          2 bulettes                     Saw lots, Calmed most on a whim. 
          1 bunny master
          1 cat lord                     Did nothing to me, but took forever to Ball-kill.
         10 cave lions                   Too hard to avoid Bolting.
          2 cave tigers                  Too hard to avoud Bolting.
         63 chaos wizards                Blasted Liches summoned some.
         40 claw bugs                    Really? Must have been my Earthquakes?
          1 crime lord                   Mostly to get the Black Market to pay me more.
          4 dark elven priestesses       Ball spells are so nice here.
          4 dark elven princesses        Ball spells are so nice here.
          4 death oozes                  One almost got me in the library.
          1 dwarven artificer
          1 emperor lich                 Greater vault.
          1 eternal guardian             Oops! Bad bouncy-bolts! Took forever with Acid Ball.
         45 fire giants                  I saw a lot of these.
         10 fire giant kings             Mostly in a Greater vault.
         32 fomorian giants
          8 frost giants
          6 frost giant berserkers
          1 frost giant jarl
        222 ghosts                       Greater vault.
          1 ghost king                   Greater vault.
        134 ghost lords                  Greater vault and D:50.
          2 gorgons
          3 great blue wyrms
          4 great karmic wyrms
          1 great red wyrm
          1 greater balor                In melee, with Purifier, just because I could.
          1 greater black unicorn        Shrugged 20 Death Rays, Petrified on my 1st shot.
         86 greater claw bugs            Bouncy Missiles and Improved Fireball. Nom nom nom.
         19 greater mimics               These seemed common in hallways for this character.
          2 half-orc bouncers
         89 hill giants                  Greater vault.
          3 hill giant chieftains        Greater vault.
         25 ice vortices                 25? Wow, I don't remember seeing that many.
          4 invisible stalkers           But no corpses.
          1 iron golem                   In a lesser vault somewhere. Died to Purifier.
        111 jackals                      Mostly in the Big Room, which seems normal to me.
        191 killer bugs                  Bouncy Missiles and Improved Fireball. Nom nom nom.
         21 kobold shamans               Nom nom nom.
          5 liches                       Wow, not many normal liches.
         16 lich kings                   Greater vault.
         12 lightning lizards            A Lich King was summoning these.
          1 mad doctor
          9 magebane eyes
         17 magedoom eyes
         31 master liches                Greater vault and gravedigging.
          7 master mimics                Tension room on same level as Greater giant vault.
          2 mimic hiveminds              Tension room and hallway; I kept one as a trophy.
          1 minotaur mage
          1 moloch
          1 mummy lord
          1 ogre emperor
         20 ogre kings                   Greater giant vault.
         52 ogre lords                   Greater giant vault.
          1 oracle                       Nom nom nom.
          3 quickling kings              Random encounters on my way home.
          1 shadow wyrm
          2 shopkeepers                  I petrified the two racist dwarves as trophies.
          1 skeletal king
         46 stone giant lords            Tension room on same level as Greater giant vault.
          2 titans
          2 werewolf kings               Improved Fireball helps so much here.
          5 wild cats                    Too hard to avoid Bolting.
         74 writhing masses of primal chaos

I didn't know you could petrify shopkeepers. I definitely have to do that on my next game.

Is stunning yourself and then casting Darkness to train Willpower effective? I thought you only got a tiny bit of training for every spell cast that way.

Quote Originally Posted by DreadArchon View Post
    I of course did not harm my helpful Book and Potion merchants.
    I wouldn't lay a finger on whoever runs a bottomless source of spellbooks, I mean book shop, either. Those are as rare as they're nice for wizards.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Is stunning yourself and then casting Darkness to train Willpower effective? I thought you only got a tiny bit of training for every spell cast that way.
    Probably, but I was waiting for some Morgia to sprout after eating a bunch of Killer Bugs. It seemed more useful than 'u'sing my holy symbol, and my pick axes were all broken.
    Wins: Gnome Assassin, Drakeling Mindcrafter, Hurthling Weaponsmith, Dark Elf Wizard, Dwarf Archer