Thread: Character is in serious need of C.P.R.--please help!

Default Character is in serious need of C.P.R.--please help!

Alright, so let me start off by saying I am quite noob to this game, even though I've been playing it very sporadically for over a year, I've never really put much thought or effort into it until now.

Now let me describe my character's current condition: He is a level 13 Troll Barbarian, stranded (for now) on the fifth level of the Tomb of the High King, he has been badly corrupted already, and has just recently been badly aged by a Ghost Lord. The mere thought of a 62 year-old, 9'1" Troll Barbarian weighing in at 51 lbs and sporting a huge bulging forehead I would normally find hilarious, if it wasn't so obvious that he is also very near death.

I do think I can shrug off most of his unnecessary equipment and fight my way out of these caverns, but I'm not sure how long a 62 year-old Troll can live before dying of natural causes (months, days, seconds?) I would of course normally say that this character is just totally F'd and give up, but he does have an uncursed Ring of Djinni Summoning, although I have no idea how to use it; and he does have the Phial of Caladriel, and I have no idea what that does either, although I'm guessing it doesn't help with age or corruption.

I've yet to complete the Black Druid Quest yet either, which I've read can allow you to remove corruption effects somehow.

In hopes that anyone in here can find anything useful in this extremely dire situation, I've listed some screen shots and as far as his inventory is concerned--I can tell you that the Ring of Djinni summoning and the Phial of Caladriel are about the only interesting things in his inventory, the rest are all pretty standard--the usual standard potions and scrolls and such.

Can I wish for youth with the Ring to save this character? Or is this guy just totally F'd? How do I use the ring?

Any and all suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You probably aren't going to die of old age by natural causes. However, any other ghost bat/ghost/ghost lord/ghost king you run across places you at serious risk of death. If you bless your ring of djinni summoning with some holy water and then 'U'se it, you can get a wish. You could wish for potions of youth. Blessing these and drinking them should knock... maybe 30-40 years off your age. You could also wish for potions of longevity. There's a bit of a tradeoff here: longevity potions have a stronger effect than potions of youth, but you won't recover your stats. So you'll still be super old, but you'll be able to get much, much older. With luck, your troll could live to well over a hundred. These should be blessed as well. If the ring is not blessed, it will summon a djinni to fight for you, which is pretty useless.

As far as corruption goes, there are a few options. If you finish the druid quest, and can bring the druid's corpse back to Guth'Alak (and give it to him), he will reward you with a potion of cure corruption. This will remove a single corruption (very light, in your case). The corpse can still rot away, so you need high food preservation, and maybe a few pots of holy water to keep it from rotting. You could also travel to the High Mountain Village (depending on whether you've been through the small cave or not already). There is a secret room there that can be accessed by teleportation, which contains a scroll of chaos resistance. Bless this, and you can remove both of your corruptions. If you haven't been that deep into the Caverns of Chaos yet, you could wish for an amulet of life saving, and give this to Khelevaster on D:16 (don't talk to him!). This will give you six blessed scrolls of chaos resistance, as well as some other useful items.

If you don't want to or can't use your wish right away, the best thing to do is ditch some junk items and get unburdened, then escape the dungeon as quickly as you can. You've got a teleport wand, and if you've got teleport control, this would be an easy out. You can charge your wand by dipping it in potions of booze..

You can use the Crystal Phial as a missile weapon. It will blind certain monsters (humanoids, mostly) and make them stumble around aimlessly while you slaughter them. If it is 'U'sed as a tool, it will cast a very expensive version of the Light spell.

[edit]Whatever you wish for, make sure you use the plural form. Potion of youth will give one potion. Potions of youth will give 2-4. Amulet of life saving doesn't matter, you always only get one.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 03-25-2012 at 06:39 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I was writing a big-ass post, but when I hit "Preview", I noticed JellySlayer was much faster to say everything I wrote and some more.
    "And light there be!"

Great, thanks for the advice! This guy is in rough shape, but I had high hopes for him--he had a starting roll of 41 Str and 22 To, which is something I had never seen before, even with a Troll Barbarian. So I'd like to see him through to the end, even though I realize that seeing as though I've never even come close to closing the chaos gate before--and I will NEVER use save-scumming--that this is a near-impossibility.

I only play the game about once a week for about 4-5 hours at a time--any more than that and I feel that my interest or attention will start to flag. But if I manage to get this monstrosity out of his current predicament and back on the right track, I'll probably update this post for some more advice.

I'm reading up right now on how best to complete the game--which quests to complete, what locations to visit, and in what specific order... I have to say that for me, having a guide has definitely increased my enjoyment of the game. Otherwise you will learn purely from trial and error, which will take an absolute lord's age and will result in quite a lot of heart-ache and disappointment... Not that that isn't going to happen anyway But having a guide helps.

Thanks again, I'll give an update on this guy later.