Thread: Petrify, Earthquake, and Dupin' Rarez

Hybrid View

Question Petrify, Earthquake, and Dupin' Rarez

I have a few curiosities after my last game:
    1. I found out Petrify doesn't summon guards or Curse you when you use it to kill a shopkeeper, although it does take a while to stick. Are there any other good "free" ways to kill shopkeepers?
    2. Earthquake doesn't work on "special" levels, OK, I get that. In the process of spamming it as I walked my Wizard up from D:50, there were a couple of what appeared to be totally normal levels where it failed. My best guesses are "where the wall of fire used to be" and "where the Eternal Guardian used to be," but I'm really not sure. Does anyone else have any better ideas? I burned a couple of Blessed Scrolls of Magic Map, so I know there was nothing hidden.
    3. I have frequently seen wands duplicate themselves when manipulated, usually in the process of failed last-charge-wrenching. Does anyone know what causes this, or how to reproduce it reliably?

Quote Originally Posted by DreadArchon View Post
    I found out Petrify doesn't summon guards or Curse you when you use it to kill a shopkeeper, although it does take a while to stick. Are there any other good "free" ways to kill shopkeepers?
    Attempted petrification will also turn Thrundarr hostile without alarming the entire town. I believe this is a bug, and I've listed as such in my notes file.

Anyway, about killing shopkeepers scot-free, you can make them (and only them) hostile shooting a bolt spell at them while they're outside of your LOS, or with you surrounded by darkness. gut made a commented demo of a relatively low-level character killing Waldenbrook this way, which you can find on the ADOM Guidebook's homepage.

Earthquake doesn't work on "special" levels, OK, I get that. In the process of spamming it as I walked my Wizard up from D:50, there were a couple of what appeared to be totally normal levels where it failed. My best guesses are "where the wall of fire used to be" and "where the Eternal Guardian used to be," but I'm really not sure. Does anyone else have any better ideas? I burned a couple of Blessed Scrolls of Magic Map, so I know there was nothing hidden.
    Outside of the CoC, I know it also doesn't work on SMC, ID, VD, DD and VDDL. I was surprised about the ID. There are probably more, but I couldn't tell you because I never use Earthquake. Despite its rarity and cost it's one of the most useless spells as I see it.

Here's a list of "special" levels in the CoC, you may want to try it on each one and check the results.

I have frequently seen wands duplicate themselves when manipulated, usually in the process of failed last-charge-wrenching. Does anyone know what causes this, or how to reproduce it reliably?
    Can you elaborate on this? I've never experienced anything similar.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Here's a list of "special" levels in the CoC, you may want to try it on each one and check the results.
    Ah, I bet it was the Wall of Fire level and the Portal Level. I forgot about the Dwarven Door.

Can you elaborate on this? I've never experienced anything similar.
    Oh. I thought it unlikely that I could find something new or unusual.

I frequently notice, during attempts to wrench a charge from uncursed wands of Door Creation or Trap Detection, that failed attempts add new copies of the wand to my inventory. I think it may have happened with a Digging once or twice and perhaps even a Fireballs and a Wonder, but normally I only notice it with junk wands because most of the time I can recharge wands I like.

My Wizard, however, was blessed with an early Mana Battery corruption that I preserved. This made the effect highly conspicuous, and it was here that I realized how common it was. I also noticed that I never had more than two copies of a given wand.

The new wands appear next to the old wands in the item list.

Here is an example: I had only one (drained, uncursed) Wand of Trap Detection going into the Mana Temple, but Alertness and Detect Traps were both at 100 and I had a Ring of Searching, so meh. I tried twice to fire the Wand for the first hallway (unsuccessfully) and then noticed that I now had two identical (drained, uncursed) Wands of Trap Detection next to each other where previously I had had one. It took me a couple of tries to wrench a charge out, bringing me down to one wand.

At the next corner, that one duplicated itself before I wrenched a charge out successfully.

At the third corner, the same occurred.

At the last corner, it happened again, and I eventually left the Mana Temple with a Wand of Trap Detection still available in my inventory. Handy, but weird.
    Wins: Gnome Assassin, Drakeling Mindcrafter, Hurthling Weaponsmith, Dark Elf Wizard, Dwarf Archer

Quote Originally Posted by DreadArchon View Post
    Here is an example: I had only one (drained, uncursed) Wand of Trap Detection going into the Mana Temple, but Alertness and Detect Traps were both at 100 and I had a Ring of Searching, so meh. I tried twice to fire the Wand for the first hallway (unsuccessfully) and then noticed that I now had two identical (drained, uncursed) Wands of Trap Detection next to each other where previously I had had one. It took me a couple of tries to wrench a charge out, bringing me down to one wand.

At the next corner, that one duplicated itself before I wrenched a charge out successfully.

At the third corner, the same occurred.

At the last corner, it happened again, and I eventually left the Mana Temple with a Wand of Trap Detection still available in my inventory. Handy, but weird.
    Since you say that was your only wand of trap detection, this definitely sounds like a bug, and a pretty abusable one at that. Depending on which wands can be affected, a wand of wishing with 0 charges could be abused for potentially infinite wishes by wrenching the second wand to destruction for a free wish, then duplicating the first one over and over. Furthermore, I think luck affects your chance of wrenching the last charge, so dooming could be used to avoid destroying the initial WoWi (if I'm right).

You should report this on the bug tracker. I'll see if I can reproduce it.
    Last edited by anon123; 03-12-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    "And light there be!"

I wasn't able to duplicate any wands. Perhaps you have a savegame from a situation where you could easily trigger the bug?
    "And light there be!"

I've been too busy to worry about it lately. I'll try later.
    Wins: Gnome Assassin, Drakeling Mindcrafter, Hurthling Weaponsmith, Dark Elf Wizard, Dwarf Archer