Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What, exactly, do I need to do?

I bookcast very rarely. Honestly, I think constantly bookcasting Strength of Atlas to carry humongous loads of crap is a terrible habit. I don't think wizards in general have much of a need for it at all, since they get more than enough castings of most spells just by reading. Bookcasting in combat is generally poor since it takes longer and spends more of your juice. A propos juice, know what tastes pretty juicy? Morgia roots. Get some HP first.

That said, I only looked at your spell list before, not exactly the castings; you have tons of Magic Missile, which is great since Magic Missile kills anything (eventually) and it leaves all the good stuff behind. Which means you're completely equipped to do the Rift, if you get some HP first.

Seriously. Morgia roots will get you covered. Bonus: You get your Willpower closer to 32. (They stop working at 25, and the sword of Nonnak can get you the rest of the way. Incidentally, I forgot about that one for ratling fodder. Ball spells can make it worth keeping, though.) Ball spells are almost not worth using without at least 32 willpower. Before that, you have to stand next to things to kill them with ball spells, and why would you want to do that? Especially without getting HP first?

Get some HP first.

EDIT: Before I forget, don't try to get a farmer corpse without the quest. Having the quest increases the drop rate to near 100 percent and makes sure you only need the one farmer. Also, get some HP first.

EDIT2: We really need to have the percent symbol back. This is silly.
    Last edited by Silfir; 03-17-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Honestly, I think constantly bookcasting Strength of Atlas to carry humongous loads of crap is a terrible habit. I don't think wizards in general have much of a need for it at all, since they get more than enough castings of most spells just by reading.
    When you're a packrat like me, a bottomless source of super carrying capacity that stacks and isn't affected by item destruction is awesome.

I do however try to get Strength to 18 via weight-training before I begin making massive use of it.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Also remember to leave all the valuable items you don't think you'll need behind, before climbing. The RNG will usually pick your best equipment to destroy it.
    Actually i think only each second item is due to destruction on fall. So you can always strategically manipulate inventory in a way that good stuff is save and crap is on risk. In theory at least.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

A bottomless source of super carrying capacity that stacks and isn't affected by item destruction that kills you if you mess up, more like. If you're a sucky ADOM player like me, you want your mess-ups to be as non-fatal as possible.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I try to keep an eye open for messages about my great strength waning. Not using Fast_More ensures I will see them. If I cannot immediately recast the spell, I'll drop all my items to avoid being crushed by them. I don't like big risks either, but this seems to be effective.
    "And light there be!"

I'm not confused about the mechanics of Strength of Atlas or anything of the sort, you know; nor did I assume you were. But I have to ask: Effective for what? What is so great about being able to carry infinite stuff? Do you need infinite stuff? Regardless of what you're trying to achieve, I'm quite positive that you can achieve it comfortably with a finite selection if items - a finite selection of items that you can carry easily with a normal strength score. Anything else you're carrying is superfluous. Cruft. Meaningless. And yet you're putting yourself one human mistake away from death to keep it? That's just not rational behaviour to me.

As I said before, I'm a packrat. I do sell absolute junk, such as gloves [+0, +0], but keep other items that might be remotely useful, because in case I ever need them for whatever reason (which usually never happens), they're right there in the backpack.

I do see the logic in your argument, but it's an habit I can't get rid of.
    "And light there be!"

I used to play like this too. Then I noticed that no matter how many items I was carrying, I always had exactly what I needed. And, if I had less items, I could always find what I needed, when I needed it.

Well, within reason. Carbon fiber man has enough items. Playing with no items at all is a bit tricky.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I have yet to count all the characters that got crushed by tons of luggage. Mostly wizards, if not exclusively.
    Reason? Abusing animated tree drops with banshee in the forest.
    It just takes too much clicking and real life time to pick only the items you need from the 20+ squares around the banshee.
    I just cast SoA and pick them all up, except tools since picking up all those logs is a short way to overburden even a 99 St char with SoA active.
    Plus I'm a pack-rat too, especially when it comes to potions, scrolls, missiles, amulets and rings.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."