Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd Tactics

Quote Originally Posted by MrNiceguy View Post
    Heavy bookcasting of Strength of Atlas
    I declare myself guilty

You train Mana through the PP depletion/regeneration
    As far as I know, PP regeneration trains the Concentration skill when it manages to add a point. Bookcasting would train Mana simply because you're using the spells.

In the late game, you can turn this tactic up a notch and bookcast Create Item to provide some uber Mana training.
    "And light there be!"

Odd tactics? I guess you could call my compulsion to drain every pool I encounter odd. Any sensible player wouldn't do that. Does odd mean stupid? I also, typically, clear all of the elemental temples. The mana temple would be an exception (usually) because of all the summoners, but I generally clear the other four. I sometimes drink potions of exchange in the early game to get more out of herbs. I think smithing counts as an odd tactic. Most people just don't. I don't devote a ton of time, but I do it sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles View Post
    I also, typically, clear all of the elemental temples.
    Same, excepting the fire one. Not because I'm underpowered or afraid of item destruction - I just can't stand that "The air is extremely hot!" spam every few turns. It gets worse if you use a ring of ice. I know you can remove it using Sage, but in my computer winbeta4 is the most responsive/less laggy version. I wonder whether a spam removal RFE would be accepted

Also, I understand the wand of destruction ending depending on race/class combo, but I'd never do one myself. When my wizards enter that place, they don't leave until everyone is dead, and every item has been picked up. Magic Missile is just awesome.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    they don't leave until everyone is dead, and every item has been picked up. Magic Missile is just awesome.
    Now that is somthing I don't worry about on D50. I'll Acid Ball the hell outa that place and destroy every item near me. By then then arn't all that helpful anyway. I wouldn't have gone to D50 if I couldn't handle it with my current gear. I have found a wand of wishing on D50 tho... I used it for logs and a fletchery set if I recall correctly.

I guess this may seem odd to somebody.

I play gnome beastfigther and teach him as most spells as possible. Always doing Rift, writing own scrolls, mostly of magic mapping.. sort of educated beastfighter . I'm carrying usualy 3-5 pickaxes and mining just for fun of it. Also taking time to equally well traing bows, crossbows and slings (usually to 10-11 in late game) + hoarding ammo. Using extensively ventriloquism, it's a life saver and cat pusher. And carrying lots of stuff, yesterday I won for the first time with gnome beastfigther and in the moment of closing gate was wearing ~21000s of load (moloch armor included, but at the same time four other armour in tha backpack ).
    scroll of cure blindness ... Braille alphabet maybe?

Hox, did you try monks? They are really good at writing scrolls, learning spells and also at mining.

Grats on your first win.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Thanks, it was approx. my 20th beastfighter char that finally made it. No savescumming of course, and I learned about Gorgons and Banshee the hard way ;-). Banshee really pissed me off then.
    I've tried monks but found that after freedom of beastfighter playstylle I don't like much searching right weapon etc.., so I postponed another classes then, but plan to try some now.
    scroll of cure blindness ... Braille alphabet maybe?

Monks don't need to search for weapons, they can fight unarmed fine! Just make sure that you have freedom of movement enough for martial arts, i.e., are not burdened and you are not wearing anything but non-ugly clothes or elven chainmails in the body armour slot, and you'll get great unarmed combat boni.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles View Post
    I think smithing counts as an odd tactic. Most people just don't. I don't devote a ton of time, but I do it sometimes.
    I guess that makes me odd, I spend hours and hours Smithing on most characters. It makes both the early game and the late game fairly tedious, but I have to make some pretty spectacular mistakes to lose a late-game character.
    Wins: Gnome Assassin, Drakeling Mindcrafter, Hurthling Weaponsmith, Dark Elf Wizard, Dwarf Archer

I only smith when I'm playing a weaponsmith. For other characters, by the time I manage to find all of the necessary gear and train the skill up to a respectable level, I've finished the game already. Mining is also really, really tedious.

With a weaponsmith, on the other hand, once you find a forge and hit level 6, you can use junk spears from spear traps and all of the other random useless weapons and armor you find to make ingots, so you don't have to worry about mining, and can get a good smithing skill quite quickly. In this case, smithing can be pretty sweet because you can maybe triple your DV/PV at a time when it is still pretty low.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.