Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Thank you ADOM: by gut

Quote Originally Posted by MITZE View Post
    . . . when I first saw the title for this topic, I thought this was going to be a I'm-leaving-the-community-thanks-for-all-the-good-times kind of topic, for some strange reason.

I am relieved to be proven wrong.
    You at least have not started preparing speech on topic "we whish you well in your life without ADOM"...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    life without ADOM
    Can there be such a thing after playing the game long enough?
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Can there be such a thing after playing the game long enough?
    Well, i mad at least two official declarations about me leaving it for good... So at least announcing can happen.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Every time I lose a promising game to a crash, I'm going to mentally substitute "Your character was killed by a random meteor strike."
    You hear the cries of the crowd: "Freebird!! Freebird!! Freebird!!"

You play some tunes on your lute.

Your character was killed by a random meteor strike.
    Even 40+ levels below the ground?
    On the other hand gods seem to have no problem zapping you underground either, so...

Quote Originally Posted by MrNiceguy View Post
    Every time I lose a promising game to a crash, I'm going to mentally substitute "Your character was killed by a random meteor strike."
    You could go the extra mile and invent more realistic messages - "He was crushed by a collapsing executable", "He was killed by vile signal 291 magic", "He was scorched by a scroll of repair" (read with an empty inventory), "He was killed by believing in the promises of getting six blessed SoCR" (saving Kelly), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ScrollOfCureBlindness View Post
    Even 40+ levels below the ground?
    On the other hand gods seem to have no problem zapping you underground either, so...
    Even worse, the bolts are said to "hurl down from the sky"
    "And light there be!"

"Strangled with an amulet of live saving by a sage gone mad"
    "Broke his/her back trying to drop too much loot at once" (ext. drop)

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    holding the 'a' button for 1/10th of a second too long, thus
    'a'pplying 'a'lchemy to two potions and blasting myself into the afterlife
    Funny, I did that earlier today while trying to pickpocket. I had one too many 'a's in there.

This game really is great. So much of what it teaches you is secondary. I remember when trying to get my girlfriend (now fiancé) to play she would watch me at first and ask questions. Questions like "can we take the baby water dragon with us? It souds so cute." She absolutely loved the opening question system. I'd go out to smoke and she'd generate 4 new characters so she could answer the questions. She'd ask why I was killing that guy, he's just some barbarian that was hanging out and I come up to his cave and kill him. Trying to get her on board with the logic of plugging your ears with wax to get by the banshee. Hoo, that was an interesting conversation: Me: "We need to pass the banshee, but her scream is fatal. We need to deafen ourselves." Her: "Lets us our potion of deafness" Me: "We could, but it might wear off before she dies, lets go up one level where those bees were. We'll plug our ears with bee's wax." Her: "Really? Beeswax?"

There is just so much you have to know, but can only learn from experience. Banshee, ghuls, asking the dwarf about "portal". Remembering not to 'g'ive shopkeepers money, but to 'p'ay for your stuff. The list is endless and any one of them can easily kill you if you arn't prepared. And if they don't the game will crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles View Post
    Funny, I did that earlier today while trying to pickpocket. I had one too many 'a's in there.
    You don't quick-mark your skills? The first thing I do after getting Pick Pockets from Yergius is assigning 5 to that one, 7 to First Aid and 9 to Ventriloquism.
    "And light there be!"

argh Pick Pockets
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.