Thread: RNG luck on PC:1

Default RNG luck on PC:1

On this level I encountered a surge of power (named green jelly who fell to one frost bolt, carrying Ironfist).

I also saw "You shudder." when first entering, and "You sense a certain tension." when walking around.

Comically, the tension room and the trap room were one and the same:

Code:
    You open the door. You are welcomed with lots of squeaking sounds. 
    The rat squeezes past the giant rat. 
    A spear barely misses the giant rat. 
    A spear barely misses the giant rat. 
    The rat moves into the teleportation trap. The rat suddenly disappears! 
    The giant rat is blinded by a bright light. 
    The rat is blinded by a bright light. 
    The giant rat is zapped by a bright light. 
    The rat is engulfed by some strange kind of purple radiation. The rat seems to be corrupted. The rat suddenly looks pretty weird! 
    The giant rat nearly falls into a pit that opens beneath it. The rat nearly falls into a pit that opens beneath it. 
    The giant rat moves across a loose stone.
    You hear a "CLICK!". 
    Suddenly a huge explosion engulfs everything!
    The rat squeaks one last time before it is consumed by the roaring flames! 
    The wererat squeaks one last time before he is consumed by the roaring flames! 
    The giant rat squeaks one last time before it is consumed by the roaring flames! 
    The giant rat squeaks one last time before it is consumed by the roaring flames! 
    The giant rat squeaks one last before it is consumed by the roaring flames! 
    The chaos rat squeaks one last time before it is consumed by the roaring flames! 
    The rat is hit by a gush of water! 
    The giant rat displaces the rat. 
    The rat moves into the teleportation trap. The rat suddenly disappears! 
    The giant rat moves into the teleportation trap. The giant rat suddenly disappears! 
    The giant rat moves into the teleportation trap. The giant rat suddenly disappears! 
    The rat moves across a loose stone.
    You hear a "CLICK!".
    Suddenly a huge explosion engulfs everything!
    The rat squeaks one last time before it is consumed by roaring flames! 
    Something on the ground melts away!
    (About 3 rats survived)

From a unrelated pit trap, a pit viper dropped a spellbook of disarm trap, and there is also a ring shop on the level.

My most eventful level yet.

If tension room and trap room are generated on the same level, they are always the same room.

Ironfist is DL 1? This is kinda underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    If tension room and trap room are generated on the same level, they are always the same room.
    Is that so? Proves whoever designed the dungeon has a sense of humor

I thought the chances of a trap and tension room generated "together" weren't 100-percent, and I was just lucky enough to be deprived from the XP so often.

Ironfist are not exactly among the top artifacts in the game (just some glorified gauntlets of strength) - they are good for a low-level spellcaster, though.

Well, for a level one PC any artifact is great. Except the black tome, that one sucks anytime, anywhere.
    Last edited by anon123; 04-04-2012 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Percent sign is borked
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Is that so? Proves whoever designed the dungeon has a sense of humor

I thought the chances of a trap and tension room generated "together" weren't 100-percent, and I was just lucky enough to be deprived from the XP so often.

Ironfist are not exactly among the top artifacts in the game (just some glorified gauntlets of strength) - they are good for a low-level spellcaster, though.

Well, for a level one PC any artifact is great. Except the black tome, that one sucks anytime, anywhere.
    Can't remember a single time they were not and I think this is widely-accepted thing, although saying "always" may not be the best course of action.

As for Ironfist, there are 2 artifact gauntlets in the game, and Ironfist is IMHO seriously better. I personally never bothered with using scrolls or smithing (is it actually working on them?) on non-artifact gauntlets, so that means it's better than everything else.

If you got the resistances covered, Ironfist is the superior artifact gauntlets. They are immune to item destruction so you can wear whatever ring you want under it. Sure it's no Preserver or Executer, but it's still a solid artifact and even better for low levels that haven't trained their str.

I love shudder rooms. They're comical even without being a tension room. The orc falls into a pit! Vipers appear! The pit viper is hit by an arrow! The pit viper moves across a loose stone. You hear CLICK! Etc etc.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post

Artifact DLs aren't really sensible relative to the power of the artifact. Soaker, for example, is fairly high DL IIRC. Thunderstroke might be as well. Bracers of war is fairly low DL (maybe 6 or so). I think in general most artifacts have fairly low DL.

I agree with general sentiment about Ironfist though. I put them in the class of artifacts one level below game-breakers--nice to have under any circumstances, for pretty much any character.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Soaker is just ~10 i think, i certainly PP it just around dwarftown long time ago.

Artifact missiles have highest DL requirement and hopefully so, less chance to get that crap.

Most of other artifacts have lower DL than whip of snakes and some eternium stuff, which is a bit strange...
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)