Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Odd Tactics

Default Odd Tactics

I find myself doing something lately that I've never seen posted around here. I usually have a very cautious approach to my characters, at least when it comes to leveling. So I use music. And a werefoo, and get a lot of loot in a short amount of real time. Scummy? Possibly. But I've died more than once to an werewolf made strong by killing it's own kind. So it does have dangers of it's own, I tend to roll female Drake Wizzys.

Also I tend to spent vast amounts of time in the ID with low level characters this way, it's not unheard of for me to descend to ID50 and only realize it when I have a Ki-rin breathing down my invisible back, Or an Ancient Blue Dragon.

Anyways, on to my question. What types of playstyles do you use? Or tactics that you think are different from how most people play?
    Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    I don't like being superstitious. It gives bad luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    "Today I will show everyone the size of my e-penis by stickying a thread from one year ago that absolutely no one cares about!"
    What happens when a being with godlike power has no concept of limits and unfettered creativity? Anything.
    ?/0

I don't think I do anything really remarkable... But then, few realize they're doing something strange until others point it out. Of those who've watched my Let's Play or other things, is there anything weird about the way I play? I doubt I can match "accidentally descend to I:50 and have the gall to call my approach 'very cautious'" though.

There's stuff I do not do, some of it on principle, some with reasons. I never go to the ID unless for Filk these days, on principle. I don't precrown, for reason of I can't be bothered. I don't pickpocket, on principle and for reasons of I can't be bothered and take this crap out of the game and shoot it.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

http://www.adom.de/forums/showthread...y-restrictions

I believe the main question in this thread is similar to what is discussed there?

About the ID - using it for early-game training is okay and I do it in all my games, but diving to I50 is overkill. I never go lower than I9 myself, even if the background corruption on levels immediately below that isn't terribly fast.
    "And light there be!"

I doubt I can match "accidentally descend to I:50 and have the gall to call my approach 'very cautious'" though.
    Just a note. I said I'm cautious when it comes to leveling, that character in question survived that encounter at level 8. I enjoy the challenge of being way out of depth, and for some reason I think the monster leveling system is broken, so I abstain from killing when I can..... Which along with my semi-obsessive ID sessions leads to overpowered underleveled wizards meeting horrible ends in an evershifting monument to Order gone wrong.....

TL;DR- My playstyle kills promising characters often
    "Today I will show everyone the size of my e-penis by stickying a thread from one year ago that absolutely no one cares about!"
    What happens when a being with godlike power has no concept of limits and unfettered creativity? Anything.
    ?/0

Quote Originally Posted by Theym View Post
    that character in question survived that encounter at level 8.
    Lvl8 char on ID:50. Wait, what?

Soirana must be lucky you didn't participate in Duel to the Death this year.

It wasn't a straight descent, and I went upstairs sometimes as well, I thought of it as a scavenge mission before I began my mission to defeat Chaos, hit and run, mostly run. Darkness works on most things besides bats and orcs, Invis works on them, and slow monster is way undervalued IMHO. Also strategic teleport w/control. Now if only I could put this much energy into finishing the game.... still haven't beaten it.....
    ?/0

Of those who've watched my Let's Play or other things, is there anything weird about the way I play?
    You're a bit of a packrat and you sometimes make decisions for roleplaying reasons that aren't technically optimal.

By the way, if you want my nosy pedantic un-asked for advice, bless & drink that pot of longevity before it gets destroyed.. could potentially save your life.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

slow monster is way undervalued IMHO.
    That's also pretty useful to get rid of cats. Take one to the end of an empty room, slow it, then happily walk through the door and close it.
    "And light there be!"

slow monster is way undervalued IMHO
    Oh man, I love Slow Monster. It's terribly reliable against terrible things, and if you're careful about your hit-and-run tactics it's no problem that you have to be in melee to apply it.

Killer Bugs, Emperor Liches, the Greater Balor, etc. etc.--I have had more than one game where that spell was the main difference between an easy run and a hard run.
    Wins: Gnome Assassin, Drakeling Mindcrafter, Hurthling Weaponsmith, Dark Elf Wizard, Dwarf Archer

One tactic I use a lot that I don't see mentioned here: Heavy bookcasting of Strength of Atlas, Bless, and/or Farsight, particularly when walking across the wilderness. You train Mana through the PP depletion/regeneration, and the spell duration actually stacks with multiple castings.
    You hear the cries of the crowd: "Freebird!! Freebird!! Freebird!!"

You play some tunes on your lute.