Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mindcrafters

Hmm...

Probably there would be an arena level area that you could import a character to. Possibly could be a big room style level, or a regular level, or maybe a maze level (but probably much smaller than a regular level--maybe half size or something). Traps, monsters on/off. Have character restrictions based on level, turncount, (or even classes) as the players like. Possibly other options, like fire from ToEF, underwater, D:49 icy, or teleport resistant, massively corrupting levels, or Andor-style shifting level.

You can set a timecount on how long you want a turn to take (as in, 1 turn on your turncount). Probably 10 seconds minimum, 1 or 2 minutes maximum. If you don't take your turn within that time, it counts as though you just pressed 5. It would still be very sluggish compared to regular play, but I don't see any way around that. You'd need to be able to connect to other player, either using server, or maybe direct IP or something.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Well, interesting, though I still doubt it will be so interesting in practice.
    Also, scummed chars (even savescummers) are indifferent from fair played, at least nowdays.
    And there would be lots of minor problems in realisation, as always.

That can be solved with clocks, like in chess. If both opponents agree to a quick game the time limit can be short.

I also imagine that limits are placed on the power levels of the characters involved (no wish engine, or nonsense like that) and that resources like healing potions and piety would be limited as well. Also the area where both are allowed should probably be limited.

edit: crosspost, missed the reply from Jelly.

It would probably be best to have an interesting set of predefined characters, instead of characters imported from single player.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Or give you a new lvl. 1 character in a dungeon, forbid you from exiting it, give you a time limit (say, 5000 turns) and after that time limit, if your character is alive, it goes to your PvP character roster.

At the beginning where I wrote a dungeon I was going to write "the ID", but better not, due to stairhopping. It could be in a dungeon similar to the ID but with persistent levels.

There could be different categories of PvP depending on the time limit: 0 turns (lvl. 1 chars), 1000 turns, 5000, 50K, unlimited (scummerweight category)

One of variants i could see would be like:
    Char starts at entrance to dungeon [think small cave] with turn limit [think 5-6k]. If he makes through it [think like reaching HMW] he is eligable to participate in PvP.

For scumming reducing I'd say remove all stuff char has and make special shop [with limited credit] in which you can aquire stuff before PvP. Would need good balance on prices, but i guess could work in theory.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Does TB read our proposes?

I doubt it. While he does read the forums, I don't suppose he comes to the ADOM I forum much, he probably focuses in the ADOM II forums (especially the issue management one).

If you really want this to reach him, I think his blog or the Facebook account are the way to go.

But seriously, it's nice to dream but I doubt we'll ever see PvP implemented in ADOM... it must be quite hard to code in a game that was never planned to have any multiplayer feature. Asking for it as a feature in ADOM II, which has a much more flexible engine and it is still in an early stage, may be a better bet.