Thread: Yavp: 0.2.3

Default Yavp: 0.2.3

.. and I can now safely say that dual wielded staves really ARE better than bare hands. When I descended to D:49, I landed in the middle of a threat room of fire giants. I had no scrolls of teleportation. A frail monk would never have survived. A dual class barbarian / monk, otoh, with over 1000 HP and over 150 DV, did. But it was a close call.

I also found out there that darkness is NOT a good idea against giants in ADOM II. Lol.

Hiscore.JPG
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 04-07-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

You did it! Congratulations!

I keep trying, I have a game currently with three shards and trying to circle the world to get the fourth (no other way to get to the east).

Does a guy with 3 levels of monk and 27 of barbarian get the monk unarmed damage boni only for 3 levels? If so, I'm not surprised that you were doing more damage with quarterstaves... monks get an increase of the damage die per level.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    You did it! Congratulations!
    Thanks!

I keep trying, I have a game currently with three shards and trying to circle the world to get the fourth (no other way to get to the east).
    Omg.. good luck! I hope you have a food shop? In this game I did, it's the best you can get. During your CoC dive you may run into food problems if you don't prepare, be warned. Fire giant corpses are so big they fill you up to overfed in one go, so not nice to eat.

Did you know you can escape any wilderness encounter if you press '<' before moving? An exploit maybe, but with the high spawn rate it can save you a headache.

Does a guy with 3 levels of monk and 27 of barbarian get the monk unarmed damage boni only for 3 levels? If so, I'm not surprised that you were doing more damage with quarterstaves... monks get an increase of the damage die per level.
    No, as soon as you multiclass you lose the bonus. It's not the damage that was so great about the staves, the damage was just barely good enough. But the absurd high DV more than makes up for that, especially when you reach the breakpoint for +2 crit multiplier.

Final screenshots:
    Hiscore5.JPG

Hiscore2.JPG

Hiscore3.JPG

Hiscore4.JPG
    Last edited by grobblewobble; 04-07-2012 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Omg.. good luck! I hope you have a food shop? In this game I did, it's the best you can get. During your CoC dive you may run into food problems if you don't prepare, be warned. Fire giant corpses are so big they fill you up to overfed in one go, so not nice to eat.
    I didn't have one, but I think it wouldn't have been a big problem because my char was a pure monk with the "only consumes 20&#37; nutrition" ability.

Anyway, no luck... I circled the whole globe of Ancardia but I found another impassable chain of mountains blocking a large area to the NE of the chain, where I guess the dungeon is (I explored a very large area of the wilderness just in case, but no trace of the shard dungeon). A pity, I had found two quarterstaves of slaughtering that did pretty decent damage.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Did you know you can escape any wilderness encounter if you press '<' before moving? An exploit maybe, but with the high spawn rate it can save you a headache.
    I didn't know this, but now that you said it I have noticed that it's not even needed to press it before moving, you just need to be in the starting position. It's as if the position you appear on on the wilderness were an invisible up stair. Looks like a bug, yes, or a debugging feature that made it to the release...

retired to a long and happy life on level 50 of Caves of Chaos.
    What, he spent the rest of his life there?

I guess saving the world is worth becoming a hermit.
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

I wondered about that too, Laukku.

For the purpose of game balancing, I would like to emphasize that this victory would not have been possible without Disarm. I disarmed every dangerous giant and troll brute throughout the midgame and endgame, and this is the main reason I was able to avoid dying. It can be done without the staves, but not without disarm.

In future versions, my opinion is that while troll brutes and fire giants need to be nerfed, the disarm skill equally needs some sort of nerf.

It couldn't be done without Disarm because monsters with weapons are overpowered, not because Disarm is... if weapons (in the hands of monsters) are nerfed, Disarm will automatically become less necessary and probably will not need to be nerfed.