Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Wish Advice for aspiring ultra

The ACW not humanoid - the point I was trying to make is that Skullcrusher has other things going for it even if the monster in question isn't humanoid. Though I didn't know that the Wyrm's mindcraft is that weak; I knew just having the water orb meant you were pretty much safe from it entirely.

With the ACW, I think which melee weapon you're using is less important than making sure the wyrm is appropriately disabled. It can dish out the hurt at ranged and in melee if it's in possession of all its faculties, but get some confusion, blindness and poison in there (or even paralysis), and Skullcrusher deals enough damage in berserk to get the job done with ease.

I quite enjoy the thought that I might make Grand Mastery on a melee weapon again one of these days, so I usually decide on one weapon to use, and Skullcrusher does really well on average thanks to the absolute murder you dish out on humanoids. It's never happened to me that I found Skullcrusher, specialized in it, and seriously regretted it. Of course sometimes you find Executor in a greater vault on D:47 and feel kind of bad that your Axe level is still 1 from Bart and you're not laying the smackdown like you could, but that's not anyone's fault.

EDIT: Oh, and about the IGB - I can't say anything about its accuracy because I haven't read it. I see no reason why the information Pavel has researched has to be added to an unauthorized alternate ("improved") version of someone else's work rather than a document of its own.
    Last edited by Silfir; 04-29-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sytar6 View Post

Stone fares about as well as iron. Well, 1.5x better, but that isn't saying much.
    Blessed iron with luck rolls [ankh included] have not so bad times actually. 1,5x over that is even better.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Given the choice between Wyrmlance and Skullcrusher plus shield against the ACW, I'd be tempted to pick the latter. I'd probably fare better in a straight up fight using Wyrmlance, but boss battles in ADOM shouldn't be straight up fights to begin with.
    Even if the Wyrm is disabled, I would prefer Wyrmlance BY FAR. In fact, precisely because he is disabled. You want to end the fight ASAP before he recovers from blindness / confusion / whatever. You don't want extra DV in such a fight, you want more damage. So, assuming you are going to kill it in melee, Wyrmlance is the better choice without a shadow of doubt.

Skullcrusher is nice against humanoids, but against other monsters you're better off with the famous orcish spear. The base damage is total crap.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

3d6+6 isn't total crap.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I tamed two giant slugs on two different levels. One of them followed me and met the other. Apparently this causes a catastrophic game crash but keeps the save file or something. Check it out guys.

http://www.2shared.com/file/JdRmq92t/QuickDra.html

edit
    Looks like if I teleport away to the stairs, it doesn't crash. I wonder what will happen if I go back to that level : \ Might have to deafen myself every time I pass.

If you either kill one or both of your pets, or leave the level, you should be able to avoid the crash.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

I kept restarting it over and over until I was able to back one of the slugs into a corner and have it 'wait'. Something about it going into a blind rage and killing itself while I was there caused it to make the game crash. Is this a known bug?

Yes, this is a known bug with pets. If you can get off the level or kill the slug, you should be able to play normally again.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Firstly I just wanted to say that is an insane amount of wishes. i've been playing for more than 10 years and i don't think i've seen that amount of wishes lol.
    I think Concentration would be good value. Iceball and acidball spells are awsome but not good if you don't have concentration you will quickly run out with no way to regen quickly.
    Also if you are in any way unlucky or prone to lapses in concentration like i am I would definately recommend an amulet of lifesaving. It will give you a second chance if anything catches you unawares and kills you.