Thread: Kherab Appreciation Thread

Default Kherab Appreciation Thread

I felt that we all ought to show our gratitude to this wonderful fellow for making all the nice armor and weapons for us. So what if he's an evil chaotic dwarf who wants us all dead?
    All Treasure Hunters should be shot.

I haven't gotten a single good piece of armor or weaponry during the last four free sample extravaganzas he hosted. Cheap bastard. Clothes and wooden clubs? That's bordering on advertisement fraud. And the employees are just plain rude. He's really let staff discipline go completely rotten.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

"Hmm, what all shall I include in this item? Maybe fire immunity?
    Sure! What else, what else... how about cold immunity too... Ah,
    there, beautiful! Hmm, maybe some mind-boggling toughness modifiers
    here and theeere... OK, let's just go crazy on the DV. Wooot! I love
    smithing soo muc- Hmm, but there just seems to be something
    missing... Aha! Just add in this essence of corruption right here in
    the middle... there, perfect!"
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

I got Executioner in the weapons room on my last attempt. Bargain price too! Thanks Kerab!

That's because "Executioner" is the cheap Ancardian Chinese knockoff. Your net worth went down when you picked it up and you'll be richer once you drop it.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    I felt that we all ought to show our gratitude to this wonderful fellow for making all the nice armor and weapons for us.
    I beg to disagree. I tend to have horrible luck with my teleport-shopping ventures there. In fact, I just raided DF just some hours ago for my last game. Best equipment: [+0, +9] eternium ring mail and eternium two-handed sword of thunder (great in terms of base damage, but I'm too OCD to leave the ~25 extra DV I was getting from trained polearms and shields; maybe Jelly's comic can apply here). And I remember this one time when there was nothing better than robes and leather armor...

To be fair, I have put my hands on nice items like Nature's Companion, the scorched spear, adamantium spear of devastation, Wyrmlance, knives of endurance, and so on... but those occasions are few and far between.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    Clothes and wooden clubs? That's bordering on advertisement fraud.
    I wouldn't say so. Some people tend to forget, but the reason his place is so popular is simple word of mouth, really.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    The SoRS would be ridiculously overpowered, and the best guaranteed artifact in the game (as far as I'm concerned), if it didn't corrupt. For some reason I see it as the evil counterpart of Protector.

Quote Originally Posted by lamanor View Post
    I got Executioner in the weapons room on my last attempt. Bargain price too! Thanks Kerab!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    That's because "Executioner" is the cheap Ancardian Chinese knockoff. Your net worth went down when you picked it up and you'll be richer once you drop it.
    You, sir, just brought a smile to my face.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    I beg to disagree. I tend to have horrible luck with my teleport-shopping ventures there. In fact, I just raided DF just some hours ago for my last game. Best equipment: [+0, +9] eternium ring mail and eternium two-handed sword of thunder (great in terms of base damage, but I'm too OCD to leave the ~25 extra DV I was getting from trained polearms and shields; maybe Jelly's comic can apply here). And I remember this one time when there was nothing better than robes and leather armor...
    Oh....

I'm just happy because having trained polearms I found an eternium halberd on my last raid. Coupled with the armor I found it made me a walking tank; that is, until I got cocky and tried going through the DH.
    All Treasure Hunters should be shot.

it's not the item that corrupts, it's your guilty conscience, man. I saw you cutting trees in Terinyo wielding a hatchet covered in druid's blood, you maniac. And that amused look when you made town children attack him with your evil magic! I pray to all gods of Ancardia you'll break your neck on the next grave-digging trip (yes, I know you do it, damned fiend).
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

> Best equipment: [+0, +9] eternium ring mail and eternium two-handed sword of thunder

Yeah, pure junk.

Honestly, I used to think the same things about the weapons and armor, but I didn't know the
    value of that which I found. I clearly undervalued the following:

robes - they CAN be the invis kind. Pick up and ID all of them, just in case.
    endurance knives - I didn't even pick up knives, as I had no desire to use (wield) them. Upon finding they work in the missile slot...
    two-handers - an eternium 2-hander on 'defensive' tactics is about the same as a 1-hander + shield on 'very aggressive' and better than when 'berserk'
    parrying and defense weapons - offer more DV than shields for the early game. Do not sweat losing shield marks, as low levels come very quickly.
    bloody daggers - best crit rate in the game, iirc.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

> Best equipment: [+0, +9] eternium ring mail and eternium two-handed sword of thunder

Yeah, pure junk.
    Already had the AMW, so the ring mail was trading 4 PV for all the valuable intrinsics, at a point when I had 20+ points from all my gear. The two-hander is debatable. If I find Executor or a good one-hander of devastation, I don't sweat dropping my spear, though.

I do pick all the loot up, then read a blessed scroll of identify. Many artifacts and nice items indeed look like junk when IDed, I also found that out myself
    "And light there be!"