Thread: Thomas Biskup on Roguelike Radio

Hybrid View

Default Thomas Biskup on Roguelike Radio

This Sunday at 4pm UCT we'll be interviewing Thomas Biskup on Roguelike Radio (unless there's a sudden change of plan). The other regulars on the podcast haven't played ADOM or ADOM II much, if at all, so it'd be nice to get some people from the community here to take part in asking pertinent questions. Any takers? It'll be via Skype. If you're not able to directly take part then feel free to post here with questions you would like raised.

Some things I plan to ask about:
    - Background of what got him into roguelikes and development
    - History of ADOM
    - How things changed over the years
    - The whole open/closed source stuff
    - JADE/ADOM II
    - What sparked him back into coding
    - Plans for the future.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

When did Thomas play his last game of ADOM I, and what was the farthest he ever got on ADOM 1.1.1? What are the things about it that he feels important to keep in ADOM II, and which does he want to try to avoid, or change?

EDIT: There's a good chance I'll be in a cinema watching the Avengers at or around 4 pm UTC, but if I'm not, how does actively taking part work?
    Last edited by Silfir; 05-05-2012 at 04:05 AM.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

It takes part over Skype. - I'll PM you my username.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    It takes part over Skype. - I'll PM you my username.
    Guess, my interest do not overlap with generic non Adom players as far as questions go,but....

How much some stuff like some articats not appearing in precrowns, famous dragon gold doubling, piety overflow,etc are game features vs bugs vs unintended use of some feature combinations?

What is his attitude to some non-cannon modifications like ToGu patch, server and russian version? [later was damn funny for me except being in some old gamma].
    Formally looking all these are butchery of not open code i guess.

What was longest lasting game mystery/undiscovered feature in history? [I'd bet on phial, although not sure than phial blinding made it's appearance].
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

"What mysteries are still in the game" would be a good question. The others are a bit too specific for the audience, though some may be touched upon.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer

"What mysteries are still in the game" would be a good question.
    Would you hope to get list?
    I had at my studies some wierd lectures like how one should formulate question and on. This one, IMHO, has zero value except keeping conversation going on. Might as well ask about weather in Germany.

The others are a bit too specific for the audience, though some may be touched upon.
    I slightly missed if you do not need specific questions, why you need players with game experience? I am just geniously curious.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!

"What mysteries are still in the game" would be a good question.
    Instead of "What" I'd like "How many" without naming them

and whether he's read theoretical stuff about game design (" Game Design Workshop" by Tracy Fullerton, Jenova Chen, ... ) in the meantime?

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    How much some stuff like some articats not appearing in precrowns, famous dragon gold doubling, piety overflow,etc are game features vs bugs vs unintended use of some feature combinations?
    Don't forget one of my personal favorites, the wish engine. It is potentially game-breaking, but the changelog states PoRCs are not allowed to create artifacts or wishing items, while PoEXs are only barred from creating artifacts. So it could be intentional.

If these questions from me aren't also too specific...
    • Are cursed items welded to the PC's body, or is there another reason they can't remove them? The former is "traditionally" the case (I think) in roguelikes; the game's manual says they "can't be removed" and the in-game message is "you cannot bring yourself to remove the -foo-", which are a bit unspecific.
    • Are the joke items in ADOM I (scroll of cure blindness, potion of stun recovery, scroll of literacy check) and the ID fully original creations, or were they inspired by another source? I know some current RPGs have joke items and infinite dungeons, but ADOM already had these a decade ago.

I know they're a bit stupid, but I'd enjoy knowing the answers.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    Don't forget one of my personal favorites, the wish engine. It is potentially game-breaking, but the changelog states PoRCs are not allowed to create artifacts or wishing items, while PoEXs are only barred from creating artifacts. So it could be intentional.
    In times of pre 1.0.0 [at some point in that ancient history] - neither of pots there limited. It was risky but acceptable strategy to get Moon Sickle and play roulette on explosions and bracers of war.

Overall i would guess wish engine falls into what i called unintended use of some game features - most fault being on stack dipping part - dipping 19 rings is really way way too much as 19 RoDS are already game breaking with or without engine.