Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No intrinsic guy

Can't you give the guardian the ring of the high kings? I seem to remember this worked, but I'm not sure. If not, at somewhat high level with dual shields and a tonne of acid ball, you should be able to take him out on the stairs. Pretty much all problems in this game can be solved with acid ball.

I think biggest hurdle is the Tower. You could use the Bug Temple magic map scrolls if you don't find enough, and if you bring in like 10000 blessed spenseweeds, you might be able to make it through okay. Unfortunately, I think this would probably rule out drakes for the challenge. The last thing you need is more damage in the Tower. Fire breath without resistance can actually do lots of damage too...

I don't think BDC is in the cards. An ancient dragon or a wyrm can deal 500 damage per hit with breath attacks. Better just to use missiles or spells in the endgame, IMHO, and forget about Needle/Sting. Or a mace of destruction or penetrating weapon or something. Honestly, I'm not sure why you're even considering a non-caster for this.

[edit]Oh, and hope you have corruption removal if you get the teleport corruption...

[edit2]What happens if you get cursed by an annis hag? Shift-Q?
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 05-06-2012 at 12:33 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Oh, and hope you have corruption removal if you get the teleport corruption...
    Yes, this is probably "remove ASAP or shift-Q". Regen corruption is ok I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    I recall lurking such a challenge thread here

That'd be stretching the definition of intrinsic a little. The Assassin's poison immunity doesn't show up as such from insight/Revelation/death, and cannot be granted by any item. As far as I'm concerned, it is a class power and should be permissible - so should regeneration. Winning is still going to be a bitch even with both

I understand no crowning, but why can't you raise your piety as long as you don't get any luck intrinsics? To "very pleased" to get holy water, for example.

That's the first thing that came to my mind when reading. Better have lots of healing around, specially for TF:4 where you can't teleport and have to, well, kill the ACW. I'm thinking of farming spenseweeds and pepper petals (and morgia, you'll need extra To), if your character has Herbalism.

Dragons up to ancient kind (non-inclusive) can't see invisible. With an invis source, magic mapping, luck with teleportation and a wish for speed, it might be feasible.
    I said for multiple prayers, of course I want holy water. What I'll be using to bless spenseweed with?

And you can say "feasible" to my lvl50 wizard, who changed a crown of lightning for crystal helmet with confuse resist without understanding that it will remove =Elec (didn't have -Elec resistance for some reason). He was toast in 1 turn. Mind you, there weren't nor Srararxrxrxr (or whatever is his name) neither wyrms in vicinity, I just thought I'll need confusion resist for near future. I literally stared at the screen for a couple of minutes trying to understand what the hell happened.

Edit: Ah, finally remembered to ask. How exactly one dies of pneumonia? Is it continious damage on D:49 or you die instantly without cold resist?
    Last edited by _Ln_; 05-06-2012 at 12:44 AM.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Continuous damage I think. It isn't too bad. You'll also take lightning damage in Air Temple, of course.

[edit]
    What I'll be using to bless spenseweed with?
    Considering the size of the pile you may want, probably scrolls of repair is better.
    Last edited by JellySlayer; 05-06-2012 at 01:14 AM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Can't you give the guardian the ring of the high kings? I seem to remember this worked, but I'm not sure.
    Sadly, he only refuses to take the ring. Putting it in the missile or either melee slots, then 'C'hatting, doesn't work either. So killing him seems to be the only choice. There was a trick where you deliberately spawned duplicates of the eternal guardian, made them fight each other via alarm traps, then kill the (weakened) winner yourself. That might be useful.

Other things that might help...
    • The Bless spell will give a little non-intrinsic luck. It's not the same as having +Luck +Fate from piety and the ankh, obviously.
    • You can duplicate +WBre without intrinsics, using rings of the fish. In case you have any troublesome rivers, or want to raid the WDL.

[edit]Oh, and hope you have corruption removal if you get the teleport corruption...
    Seconded. Uncontrolled teleportitis is Frustrating with a big F.

[edit2]What happens if you get cursed by an annis hag? Shift-Q?
    Hags and karmics should be treated carefully. If you get the former in melee range, or hit a karmic lizard accidentally, it's probably game over.

I don't think BDC is in the cards. An ancient dragon or a wyrm can deal 500 damage per hit with breath attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    And you can say "feasible" to my lvl50 wizard, who changed a crown of lightning for crystal helmet with confuse resist without understanding that it will remove =Elec (didn't have -Elec resistance for some reason). He was toast in 1 turn.
    Alright, I didn't know lightning caused so much damage without resistance. You should have had the elemental gauntlets on, though.
    "And light there be!"

A drakeling with alertness would be good for the tower. The overheating damage is nothing compared to the raw fire damage without any resistance, and alertness makes a big difference to ignoring bolts. Ventriloquism also helps disable many dangerous enemies. I wonder if it could be used to shift the EG...? In any case there may be ways to use the ring on him without getting the intrinsic.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Alright, another archer.
    Code:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                     Screenshot

########
       #..#].....#...............
     ###..#......#..............#####..
     #....#@.....#..............#..&#.../
    ##....#......#..............#...#...#
    #.....#[.@...#..............#...#...#
    #.....##/#####..............###/#...###
    #......................................
    #...<..................................
    #......................................
    #........###/###.......####...........
    ##.......#.....#.......#  #...........
     #.......#.....#.......#  #..........
     ###.....#.._..#.......#  #..........
       #.....#.....#........  .........
       ###...#######........  .......

S             St:15  Le:26  Wi:15  Dx:22  To:16  Ch: 8  Ap:24  Ma:16  Pe:19 NL
    DV/PV: 33/10   H: 99(99)      P: 30(30)      Exp: 10/22815      D: 11 M: 7301
    Satiated Strained Coward
    Random scroll of education -> +Athletics, awesome! Found a couple of spellbooks, learned Frost Bolt. Waldy bought Remove Curse book for 8000gp. Is it really so good?
    Scroll shop on PC:1, nice patches of herbs (somewhat improved by me) to push To to 16. Also got a moss stack, need uncursing scroll.
    BTW, 26 Le was from the start, haven't munched oracle yet. I kinda love 7 skill increases per level.

Meanwhile, a random thought - no source of see invisible whatsoever means a tricky cat lord and somewhat tricky archmage. Maybe I shouldn't slaughter any cat mercilessly.

EDIT: Scratch it. Got a GEE from DH, decided to clear Dwarftown a bit -> alarm ring as soon as GEE shot a stupid child and I ended up cursed. Argh.
    Last edited by _Ln_; 05-06-2012 at 12:33 PM.

you got cursed from the elemental attacking a child? I didn't know that could happen.
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Waldy bought Remove Curse book for 8000gp. Is it really so good?
    I've seen Barnabas ask many times more for that book. It is pretty nice in the early game, since for a bookcasting wizard, it acts as an infinitely reusable scroll of uncursing. You can put on unidentified armor and just uncurse it if it's harmful, or know which one of those three unIDed stacks of water is blessed (the spell will work on cursed items and those only, even if the B/U/C status was unknown).

Sadly it's one of the more rare spells, and it becomes less awesome once you have a few dozens of blessed uncursing scrolls.

BTW, 26 Le was from the start, haven't munched oracle yet.
    Of course not, that'd curse and doom you. 26 Le is pretty impressive though, I guess it was a gray elf?

Meanwhile, a random thought - no source of see invisible whatsoever means a tricky cat lord and somewhat tricky archmage. Maybe I shouldn't slaughter any cat mercilessly.
    You can abuse the invisible 'n'aming bug to know where they are.

Later edit: you can also throw potions of visibility to make the Archmage visible for a few dozen turns. A peaceful cat lord can be found via wand/scroll of monster detection, and approached with two shields.

Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    you got cursed from the elemental attacking a child? I didn't know that could happen.
    I'm also surprised. I once made DT hostile by commanding a greater earth elemental to murder people too, but I was pickpocketing the dwarves first, so I thought that might have been the cause.
    Last edited by anon123; 05-06-2012 at 10:36 PM.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Ventriloquism also helps disable many dangerous enemies. I wonder if it could be used to shift the EG...?
    It can. Although i would still prefer to be wizzard and try to tp him out.
    So far rolled 15 casters with RoDS and shamelessly killed them within 200 turns. For eternium glory!
    (after 15 I stopped counting...)

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    I've seen Barnabas ask many times more for that book. It is pretty nice in the early game, since for a bookcasting wizard, it acts as an infinitely reusable scroll of uncursing. You can put on unidentified armor and just uncurse it if it's harmful, or know which one of those three unIDed stacks of water is blessed (the spell will work on cursed items and those only, even if the B/U/C status was unknown).

Sadly it's one of the more rare spells, and it becomes less awesome once you have a few dozens of blessed uncursing scrolls.

Of course not, that'd curse and doom you. 26 Le is pretty impressive though, I guess it was a gray elf?

You can abuse the invisible 'n'aming bug to know where they are.

Later edit: you can also throw potions of visibility to make the Archmage visible for a few dozen turns. A peaceful cat lord can be found via wand/scroll of monster detection, and approached with two shields.

I'm also surprised. I once made DT hostile by commanding a greater earth elemental to murder people too, but I was pickpocketing the dwarves first, so I thought that might have been the cause.
    Heh, I hope would have remembered about cursedoom from oracle.

I'm pretty sure children are a special case. They sometimes do that, and I feel stupid for not rememering it. Maybe it' triggered by missile kill, don't know. And you don't get hostile town, only shopkeep, who summons thugs. I think cursed actually comes from "shoplifting" this way.

Absolutely going to kill cat lord for xp. It's not like I need the ring.