Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone care to help a newb?

Thanks Jelly!

That post should be written down somewhere permanent for me to refer to!

Anyways, found a Nice Sword Of Sharpness which Has High Damage! And found a "Quicksilver" Staff! It's 2 handed, but gives 20 speed. Not sure if I'll use it or not. I think it's damage is a bit lower. Maybe I'll just put it on if I need to run away!

I found some other stuff, a Phase Dagger, and some 2 handed things, but nothing else worth keeping! Same goes for armor, just the Black Dragon Armor.

Are Death Rays what they Sound Like, or do they just do a lot of damage? Also, what casts them?

Also, I can't remember where, but I had seen "Yellow Clothes", possibly an Artifact? I left them on the ground.

Death rays will instant kill you if they hit you and you don't have resistance. They can be dodged like normal bolts if you have alertness skill or high speed. If you do have resistance and you get hit, they will hit you for about 200 damage, which is still pretty nasty. Death rays can only be cast in straight lines, so if you stay at off-diagonals and use missiles, you can avoid them that way as well (not always easy since most monsters that use death ray can also confuse you).

There are only a handful of monsters that use death rays. The oracle in the HMV is probably the first one you're likely to come across (she is worth killing because her corpse gives +6 Le, but it also cursedooms which you have to be prepared for). A few of the endgame bosses use them, as do a couple of dangerous high level monsters such as Emperor Liches and Ki-rins. Fortunately, these sorts of random monsters are very rare and only appear very late in the game, so it's normally only the bosses you need to worry about.

[edit]I think yellow clothes are regular clothes with lightning resistance built in.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    Just one problem: Entrance to Forest is Blocked by a Vault of Green and Grey Slimes.
    Any chance I could make it through the DH?
    It depends. I always take the DH route, but that's with wizards. A jelly vault shouldn't be a significant problem for a PC like yours, who has high HP, good PV, and a weapon impervious to corrosion. Just take care of gelatinous cubes, which paralyze you and dissolve items on the ground.

blessed potion of troll blood [2s]
    Drink this ASAP, it'll greatly increase your natural HP regeneration speed.

I left out my Arrows and Tools, and Food! Nothing really special there. Except, low on food! There are no ratlings selling fried bats, and only one selling Lizards, and he only had 23.
    They will restock if you spend enough time in the level. You could try doing the first dozen fights or so (don't finish the arena without getting Thrundarr's quest first!) to make some time pass and gain some gold and XP. As of this writing, you have the means to deal with arena cats peacefully.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Your gauntlets of smiting are probably the best I've ever seen. Usually they are 0 or -1 damage.
    It's very rare to see gloves of smiting that grant a positive bonus to damage. I wonder if that's a bug.

Also Killed Rehetep!

I had a "Wand of Fire" Which oddly enough killed him in one shot! What's up with that? I figured he'd Shrug it Off, but gave it a try anyways!
    Some monsters can shrug bolts off with frustrating frequency, but never 100% of the time. It's possible to kill the steel golems in Darkforge by spamming lightning bolts, too... eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Here's a quick way to sort out likely useful stuff:
    I just pick everything up! You never know when regular weapons and armor can have a nice prefix, and it's at this point in the game that they're most helpful. Granted, that's not an option when you have limited carrying capacity.

Anyways, found a Nice Sword Of Sharpness which Has High Damage! And found a "Quicksilver" Staff! It's 2 handed, but gives 20 speed. Not sure if I'll use it or not. I think it's damage is a bit lower.
    Staves grant considerably high DV bonuses as you gain skill levels, but they're not worth it if you've been using spears and shields all this time. Nothing in the game beats the DV given by a well-trained shield and polearm.

Maybe I'll just put it on if I need to run away!
    Excellent reasoning. I once did that after making the wrong moves when raiding Darkforge, and somehow ending up cornered by two golems in the upper level. That +20 to speed saved my life.

I found some other stuff, a Phase Dagger
    This is a nice weapon when you face enemies with PV scores of 50 and above. Keep it and improve it using scrolls when you get some.
    "And light there be!"

Mummies catch fire easily :P
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

I just found out QuickSilver is mercury! (The metal stuff in Thermometers.)

So... Basically, Picture this:

"I'm sorry mister monster, it's been real and all, but I gotta bounce!"
    (Pulls out Giant Thermometer)
    "Toodles!"

I really like this game =)

EDIT: Did Thrundarr's Quests!

By strange coincidence I learned how to Smith from Glod, moment's before a Demon killed him! >_>
    The Demon also killed Ruun! Guess the old guy was cooler than I thought, fighting an evil monster like that.
    He will be missed.
    *Hat off*

Think I'm gonna do the Graveyard before Water Temple.

It goes Graveyard, Water Temple, Fire Temple right? Or is the High King in there somewhere?
    Last edited by Lasher; 07-10-2012 at 04:20 PM.

It depends on how powerful you feel.

It goes Graveyard, Water Temple, Fire Temple right? Or is the High King in there somewhere?
    Doing high king before fire temple is usually better.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

I think generally people say do as much as you possibly can before taking on toef so I would say graveyard, water temple, TotHK and then ToeF.
    Life is measured not by the breaths that you take, but by the moments which take your breath away

Last killed by: Killer fish. Forgot about ice bridge weight limit >_<

I sometimes even do bug temple.

Hey Guys! Just a Quick Question!

I would Like to Save the Dying Sage, but need an Amulet of Life Saving! Is there any place I could get one? I saved him only once, with Falco, and would like to do it again!