Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone care to help a newb?

ID has guaranteed everything, just a matter of hopping at the right level.
    Usually, one is either insanely lucky and finds one before Khelly, or wishes for one (most of the time, through a pool). Or use burning hands on him.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

Waste of time, don't bother :P
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    Hey Guys! Just a Quick Question!

I would Like to Save the Dying Sage, but need an Amulet of Life Saving! Is there any place I could get one? I saved him only once, with Falco, and would like to do it again!
    Not easily. Amulets of life saving are quite rare. Normally it is easier to find a wish than it is to find the amulet directly. These are some ways to find an amulet:
    -Wander around for a very long time in the ID around I:6-7. This will probably take several hours. If you want a ring of djinni summoning for a wish, you can also scum I:24-25, but this is a corrupting area, and will still probably take hours.
    -Drain every pool you have found (there's a bunch in Darkforge). There is a small chance you will get a wish from a pool. You need to have a way to get rid of dooming, though (piety is best), since you can't get the wish while you're doomed, and pools are much more likely to doom you than grant a wish.
    -Fight for a really long time in a cavernous level. Big Room could drop the amulet; High Kings could drop the wish. Again, probably will take hours.
    -There are a variety of unorthodox methods of gaining wishes, such as dipping rings into blessed potions of exchange. These require quite a bit of luck unless you have a lot of potions to go through, however.

Unfortunately, most characters just have to let him die unless you are willing to waste a lot of time. Given the life expectancy of your average character, these types of thing are not worth the effort for you, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by anon123
    I just pick everything up! You never know when regular weapons and armor can have a nice prefix, and it's at this point in the game that they're most helpful. Granted, that's not an option when you have limited carrying capacity.
    Well, yes, given the choice it's best to take everything and sort it out later, even if just for sale, but he was saying he couldn't carry it all. Anyway, as the game progresses, you have to make these sorts of decisions anyway unless you want massive inventory bloat. There's really no reason to ever need more than ~5000s of gear unless you are just carrying it to a shop to sell, or doing smithing or something.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    -Drain every pool you have found (there's a bunch in Darkforge). There is a small chance you will get a wish from a pool. You need to have a way to get rid of dooming, though (piety is best), since you can't get the wish while you're doomed, and pools are much more likely to doom you than grant a wish.
    This method doesn't take too long and has about 50% chance of succeeding (if you drain all DF pools). If this fails, better not bother.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Well, I just let him die! I did not want to get doomed, but I think I could have taken on the Golems in Dark Forge with my Dagger of Phasing!

No worries, I will save him again some day!

Oh, also! I Completely Forgot about the Dwarven Portal! Lol. :/

Guess The Graveyard Comes Before Water Temple! ;P

Good news is I got some holy water while going down, and now have Uncursed all my Equipment! I have a Cloak that is pretty Handy! +2,+1 and +4 Appearance I think! My Guy looks gooood.

Anyways, I'm a really good archer! Not sure why you'd pick an Archer over Fighter! But, I'm hacking lots of things to pieces too!

Archers have some of the best class abilities all round. Overall, they're probably the second easiest class after wizzy (with id, the wiz) . Fighters... meh.
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief

Just a silly online game

I just found out QuickSilver is mercury! (The metal stuff in Thermometers.)

So... Basically, Picture this:

"I'm sorry mister monster, it's been real and all, but I gotta bounce!"
    (Pulls out Giant Thermometer)
    "Toodles!"

I really like this game =)
    I'm surprised the quarterstaff doesn't slowly melt down or irradiate toxic fumes that poison you

Think I'm gonna do the Graveyard before Water Temple.

It goes Graveyard, Water Temple, Fire Temple right? Or is the High King in there somewhere?
    That's up to you. I typically do graveyard, TotHK, water temple, descend until the wall of flames, then the feared ToEF.

Hey Guys! Just a Quick Question!

I would Like to Save the Dying Sage, but need an Amulet of Life Saving! Is there any place I could get one? I saved him only once, with Falco, and would like to do it again!
    Welcome to one of the biggest dilemmas in ADOM

In addition to what JellySlayer posted, you can also dig graves and raid the water dragon's cave in hopes of getting either an AoLS or a RoDS. But they're not guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Usually, one is either insanely lucky and finds one before Khelly
    I once found three!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher
    Anyways, I'm a really good archer! Not sure why you'd pick an Archer over Fighter!
    Archery is rather overpowered in ADOM. Archers in particular have access to a large amount of bonuses and class powers that make them even mightier.
    "And light there be!"

Anyways, I'm a really good archer! Not sure why you'd pick an Archer over Fighter! But, I'm hacking lots of things to pieces too!
    If a monster is 5 squares away from you, your character can shoot ~5 arrows. An archer can shoot ~15, and each arrow will do 2-3x as much damage as yours.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    If a monster is 5 squares away from you, your character can shoot ~5 arrows. An archer can shoot ~15, and each arrow will do 2-3x as much damage as yours.
    AND keep in mind an archer can shoot it from pretty much the other side of the map.

Just a silly online game

Okay! Well, you guys have me convinced! Archers > Fighters!

But I still like my fighter!

Which is why I'm here! I killed the Necromancer (Nonnak?) and his buddy the Dwarf, but am Emitting an Unholy Aura!

Uh Oh! I remember how this happened last time and I got killed by Waldo and his buddies! Dare I try to make it to the mountain village to get a scroll? Or try the Dwarven Mystic and hope I don't get attacked on the way there?

Is there any other solution?

Really Really don't want to die cause of a Crappy Shopkeeper!

Speaking of which, I think I'm gonna read Gut's guide to killing him again and maybe make it work. I'm tired of that guy so much!

Oh, why doesn't he ever restock his shop? If he did I might feel a little bit bad about killing him, but I don't right now!

To make a long story short: I'm unholy! Ahhh. Also, Waldo: On my Hit List!
    :[