Page 47 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone care to help a newb?

and THEN you meet a karmic baby dragon
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."

Ah, the High Elven Weaponsmith was at least a bit promising. I'm glad my recommendation wasn't totally worthless. I love Weaponsmiths! I was dead set on winning the game with a Weaponsmith first, so I did. After many, many failures.
    Normal Victories- Human Weaponsmith, Necromancer, Barbarian, Assassin
    Creator's Day Win - Gnome Fighter

Hey Gut! I actually left out the part where I had smacked a karmic lizard or somesuch with the weaponsmith earlier!

I was just TRYING so hard to get to the DwarfTown so I could finally use an altar and fix it.

That's how it works right? Just keep sacrificing and it makes your bad problem go away? (Cursed?) I think he was cursed.

Oh.... Elementalist Gnome bit the dust. A SINGLE Ghul. Bleh. Paralyzed and smacked to death.

Which raises the question, what makes you immune to the Ghul powers? My Higher level Guys, they fight tons of Ghuls in the Graveyards and stuff, but they never get paralyzed. Is it cause of the Mummy Wrapping?

Anyways, I'm fiddling with a Dwarf Bard, but think I'm gonna put that on the backburner for a bit. I like her and all, but I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to win with pretty much just a cave bear. I'm working a spear (;P) but let's say she is not the best at fighting or defending. I did tame a wolf too, but it died right away to a grey ooze(?), so I guess tamed monsters aren't as good as my starting monster?

Anyways, not sure what's next. Gotta Admit, I liked all the choices. I'm a bit drawn to the Weaponsmith, since I've tried quite a few of those and most Died Horribly, but looking at my guys, I had a random High Elf Priest started on Creators day still waiting to be played, and I liked that Priest too.

Which raises the question, what makes you immune to the Ghul powers? My Higher level Guys, they fight tons of Ghuls in the Graveyards and stuff, but they never get paralyzed. Is it cause of the Mummy Wrapping?
    Ghuls do seem to paralyze you less at higher levels, but I suspect it's mostly because they're not doing any damage to you. They're not very tough. Necromancers have a class power that gives them 40%+(1% per level) to resist any undead melee attack, which is pretty useful if you get cornered.

A few general hints on Weaponsmiths: leave your anvil somewhere safe at the earliest opportunity, since you won't need them until you're about level 10. You might want to consider rerolling them unless you find a good anvil somewhere in UD, DDL, or CoC. Dwarftown if it's on D:9 is good; you can have the daemon kill Glod and take his anvil/forge/eternium warhammer.

Once you're ready to start smithing, don't use Mining if possible. Weaponsmiths can ctrl-x "m"elt down metal items to make ingots. Considering this class uses Smithing as a premise, it is a ridiculously useful class power, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Roarke; 07-09-2012 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Expanding Glod murder reasons

Ghuls are less likely to hit you if you have high DV. Over 60 makes you mostly immune unless you're doomed.

High elf priest is a good combo, as they start with some nice chain mail and can diversely use bows, melee and magic.

Orcs paladin is another cool combo to try. Or dwarf paladin if you want something smarter and less vulnerable to ghosts. Both have great starting equipment sets.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    Hey Gut! I actually left out the part where I had smacked a karmic lizard or somesuch with the weaponsmith earlier!

I was just TRYING so hard to get to the DwarfTown so I could finally use an altar and fix it.

That's how it works right? Just keep sacrificing and it makes your bad problem go away? (Cursed?) I think he was cursed.
    If you get very close to your deity, they will remove cursing and dooming. If you happen to get those intrinsics again, but still have your good standing, sacrificing 1gp on their altar will yield the same result. You can also pray, but that eats significant piety.

Oh.... Elementalist Gnome bit the dust. A SINGLE Ghul. Bleh. Paralyzed and smacked to death.

There are at least three things that factor here - DV, PV and Luck. DV to avoid being hit in the first place, PV to absorb all the damage (if they "fail to hurt you", you won't be paralyzed), and Luck to give a last chance for success, even if you're hit. My PCs usually have a good shield, leveled up polearms and intrinsic luck and Fate smiles plus the ankh, so they're extremely unlikely to be paralyzed or stat drained.

Anyways, I'm fiddling with a Dwarf Bard, but think I'm gonna put that on the backburner for a bit. I like her and all, but I'm not entirely sure how I'm supposed to win with pretty much just a cave bear. I'm working a spear (;P) but let's say she is not the best at fighting or defending. I did tame a wolf too, but it died right away to a grey ooze(?), so I guess tamed monsters aren't as good as my starting monster?
    A good metastrategy for a bard is picking the Heir talent, then going to those ruins you asked about back in the very first pages of this thread, and trying to tame one of the creatures that reside there. You need to have a very high Music skill and a little bit of (real life) luck to succeed, but it's doable and will yield an extremely fast pet with multiple attacks that punch through armor, that only gets better as it levels up.
    "And light there be!"

I have an Idea!

I am going to keep making human fighters, named Slayer with a number after them until one wins! That way I can be Dedicated and win. Plus it kind of makes it like a Family that keeps fighting until they win!

But that's the most boring r/c combo in the game! Choose something cool like drakeling monks instead at least.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

did anyone suggest dark elven beastfighters? <3
    Haven't won with : Druid, Priest, Elementalist, Weaponsmith, Ranger, Merchants, farmers, Necromancer,Thief
    Currently trying : Entertaining girlfriend. Very, Very, VERY hard.

Just a silly online game

I try to not go to the dwarven graveyard until Dx:25. I don't think I have ever been paralyzed by a ghul while having Dx:25

The most powerful thing in adom is herbs. if you find and exploit them early, you are nearly guaranteed a win.
    pick something that is good with herbs... druid!

you need to play a troll druid (most resilient r/c combo in adom IMO) and look for early morgia and especially moss
    "Whip me!" pleads the adom player. The rng replies... "No."