Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On the JADE video

Default On the JADE video

Extra special thanks to TB for posting this feature.

Some changes I notices:
    - intimidation skill
    - no girdle slot (correction: the girdle slot has moved)
    - steel battle axe (+0; 1d6+2 slashing) {x2, 5%} [70] What on earth does x2 and 5% mean?
    - dungeons don't have to be in/near mountains. They're everywhere!
    - the city was _so_ big, but _so_ slow!
    - what are the blue & symbols? Are they fountains?
    - the world is huge and looks like the char lives on a torus
    - "you opened the trapped door"
    - "you enter the Ancardia"
    - water appears to have depth
    Last edited by Dougy; 04-07-2008 at 02:51 AM. Reason: The existence of a girdle slot

{x2, 5%} - it's critical multiplier and chance, I suppose...
    Me is troll, me is moomintroll! Me likes ADoM... Me likes Dwarf Fortress... Dis two games is the ones best!

Oh, me likes zombies too!

Everything looks fine to me except for the city. It's just a bunch of isolated rooms that doesn't make any sense.

I'd like to see some major streets, minor streets, district of nobles with big houses, city marketplace, etc. Some parts of the town could have quite regular street grid, and the others (for example paupers' quarter) could look just like the city on the latest movie. The small village should be stretched along the roads that crosses it, etc.

I'm not the urban developement expert, but the cities are not bunch of totally random buildings - their current shape is the effect of city "evolution". The realistic generation of towns is probably something that won't be implemented in the first versions of JADE, but adding it in the future would greatly improve the playability and flavor of the game.

There's again a hill dwarf starting in a human city... :\ That doesn't make any sense (unless the story is about an orphaned hill dwarf raised by humans).

Chalup: If you look closely, a couple of streets can be seen. I agree though that there could be more minor streets and more stuff.
    Last edited by Laukku; 04-19-2008 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Changed dwarf -> hill dwarf
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

The video was awesome! THe world is really huge!

It's almost like an Oblivion roguelike!

also the world warps around itself!
    I never won a Adom game...

I agree about the city - that thing is probably way too huge.

About the "world warp" - don't all globe worlds do that? go far enough in one direction you'll come back to where you started!

The people complaining about the dwarf are being ridiculous. Dwarves and Humans are frequent allies. The dwarf could be a traveler or a trader. One would expect to find a few dwarves in a human city (especially a large one), and a few kobolds in an orc settlement. It's just logic.

As for the size of the city, it's perfect. I hate it in RPGs when you enter a "city" only to find 10 buildings. A real city has dozens to hundreds of buildings. The whole point of JADE is to create a whole world. Now, I'd be surprised if there were dozens of cities that large. I'd expect most settlements to be towns, roughly a third smaller than that.

Well... it appears as if "wraps around" like a torus or a doughnut shape, rather than a sphere. For example, on earth, antarctica is not connected to the arctic. But it looks like there are sea borders to stop you "wrapping around." I'm not entirely sure about this though.

hey, what is a commoner?
    I never won a Adom game...