Thread: Playing ADOM on an Android Device

Thumbs up Playing ADOM on an Android Device

Yes, it is quite possible (and depending on your device, fairly similar to using it on a laptop). What you will need:

DOSBOX (Google Play Market)
    Windows version of ADOM

Once you have installed DOSBOX on your android tablet, you will need to put the ADOM executable inside the directory you designated to be the DOSBOX's file directory. Once you have done so, you simply need run the adom.exe file and you will be playing the fully functional version of ADOM! If you are on a non-physical keyboard device, DOSBOX provides you with a virtual one (it's a bit clunky, but you can get used to it). If you have a physical keyboard, you'll have to fiddle around to make sure you know what key does what (as the way the android OS deals with key actions is different). On my TF201 tablet with keyboard, it acts exactly like a computer would. On my LG Spectrum phone (no physical keyboard) it gets a bit hairy because the screen is smaller, but for all of you fanatics who love ADOM (ME!!!), it's a small price to pay. I'm working on an android app that will auto save your save game files and back them up. I'll post as progress is made.

Quote Originally Posted by VectorX View Post
    Yes, it is quite possible (and depending on your device, fairly similar to using it on a laptop). What you will need:

DOSBOX (Google Play Market)
    Windows version of ADOM

Once you have installed DOSBOX on your android tablet, you will need to put the ADOM executable inside the directory you designated to be the DOSBOX's file directory. Once you have done so, you simply need run the adom.exe file and you will be playing the fully functional version of ADOM! If you are on a non-physical keyboard device, DOSBOX provides you with a virtual one (it's a bit clunky, but you can get used to it). If you have a physical keyboard, you'll have to fiddle around to make sure you know what key does what (as the way the android OS deals with key actions is different). On my TF201 tablet with keyboard, it acts exactly like a computer would. On my LG Spectrum phone (no physical keyboard) it gets a bit hairy because the screen is smaller, but for all of you fanatics who love ADOM (ME!!!), it's a small price to pay. I'm working on an android app that will auto save your save game files and back them up. I'll post as progress is made.
    Perfect! I'm glad I found this... since the Jaakkos' Ancardia SSH server is gone... this is perfect. I am going to try this right now on my Droid 4 (love the physical keyboard)! Thank you!

Took a bit of messing, but got it working on my galaxy s2. Less than ideal to play though haha, but better then nothing.
    Life is measured not by the breaths that you take, but by the moments which take your breath away

Last killed by: Killer fish. Forgot about ice bridge weight limit >_<

If you are noticing "lag" in your game, you may need to tweak DOSBOX's cpu cycle settings to get it to be within your device's operating parameters. I'm in the processes of figuring out what the best settings are depending on the system specs. I'll post them when I figure them out.

Quote Originally Posted by VectorX View Post
    If you are noticing "lag" in your game, you may need to tweak DOSBOX's cpu cycle settings to get it to be within your device's operating parameters. I'm in the processes of figuring out what the best settings are depending on the system specs. I'll post them when I figure them out.
    I'd be curious to know what you found to be the best. I'm running a Droid 4, so it's a dual-core 1.2 GHz - plenty of power for ADOM on DosBox.

I increased the CPU Cycle up two steps (around 2530-2783) and it ran alot better. I may try increasing it further to see if the responsiveness gets better.

Let us know what you find out as well Vector.

So aDosBox only stays stable with a single step up to 2530, which is playable. Not the best, but playable. Only problem I had on the Droid 4 was needing to remap the Ascend/Descend keys since there was no easy way to get access to '>' and '<'

My answer to this used to be to just use an SSH app on my phone to get to the server. This is probablly better.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyreles View Post
    My answer to this used to be to just use an SSH app on my phone to get to the server. This is probablly better.
    It was my answer as well! I used to play only on the SSH server with the Android phone, but then it went down in Jan/Feb and hasn't come back up
    I would love to run the server out of my house for everyone, but I would need to get all the files that Jaakkos used...