Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADOM expansion (ideas). New races and classes.

Default ADOM expansion (ideas). New races and classes.

I'd like to see an ADOM with a vast variety races and classes but with system more close to original.
    Maybe an expansion.. I don't know... ADOM III?)
    One could also possibly choose between different worlds to play in the beginning.

Anyway, there are many races that already exist that could just be made available for player:

Goblin
    Kobolt
    Ogre
    Ratling
    Hobgoblin
    Half-Orc (though, if you gonna have this, why not have half-elf, half-dwarf or half-gnome-half-hurtling too etc maybe that going too far...)
    Centaur (fast and can carry much but has other problems like can't use shoes etc)

...Maybe also pixie and giant, but those would have serious size-problems with equipment, so maybe not.

Some classes:

Shaman - Just another kind of druid (but maybe with detect item status and small differences).
    This class would be cool to have though not necessarily bringing much anything new really

Miner - Starts with pick axes. Can easily go through walls. High strenght. Knows gems and metals.

Engineer - A well read weak fighter, knows mechanical and material, metallugry, appraising, alchemy, smithing, detect traps, make traps, find weakness). Mostly just funny class to have.

Fencer - Ability to remove weapons from opponents (might cause too many weapons in the game though).
    A subclass of fighters with finesse and speciality. Don't really care that much for this class, but since it kinda already exists in the game.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.. except maybe Officer or Slacker (lol)

If the crowdfunding campaign succeeds (and I strongly hope it does), you will probably see some of this in the new version, along many other fascinating additions
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by Arranger View Post
    I'd like to see an ADOM with a vast variety races and classes but with system more close to original.

Ratling

Fencer - Ability to remove weapons from opponents (might cause too many weapons in the game though).
    A subclass of fighters with finesse and speciality. Don't really care that much for this class, but since it kinda already exists in the game.
    Thomas has said he wants to add Ratlings, and when you have Ratlings, you have to have Duelist as a class. I hope this succedes as well. Would be very happy with a bugfix release, but even happier with new monsters, items, artifacts, features, quests etc.
    Proud member of Team Silfir in the Treasure Hunter debate.

Ditto!

Some classes:

Shaman - Just another kind of druid (but maybe with detect item status and small differences).
    This class would be cool to have though not necessarily bringing much anything new really

Miner - Starts with pick axes. Can easily go through walls. High strenght. Knows gems and metals.

Engineer - A well read weak fighter, knows mechanical and material, metallugry, appraising, alchemy, smithing, detect traps, make traps, find weakness). Mostly just funny class to have.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.. except maybe Officer or Slacker (lol)
    Shapeshifter - Class that can change stats, boost stats for short time periods (ie: werewolf form, more stats, hates silver for example)
    Swordmage - Spell caster capable of modifying weapon/armor ego types (so add fire to a sword etc) for short time periods. Wizard stats but combat reliant.
    Conjurer/Alterer/Illusionists Casters - Standard D&D casters with the kind of spells in D&D

I think most of the viable combat classes already exist, unless you are going to goto subclasses like Jester/Duelist/Swashbuckler types etc.

Would also significantly change Druid to have his own non Clerical/Arcane spells. So he could have spells like Entangle etc.

Will be interesting to see how Chaos Knights go if implemented, good to see another evil class!

Some other ideas for classes:

Sheriff - Starts more towards L rather than C relative to race (so races that tend to be C end up N, races that tend to be N end up L), has a humanoid companion (the deputy), prefers weapons, especially ranged weapons, has Amulet of Order (unequipped) at start, all Bandits, Raiders, etc are hostile (never friendly), moderate Learning but high Willpower and low Mana, moderate-to-high Strength and Toughness but moderate-to-low Dexterity. High Perception and Charisma. Breaking "laws" abuses Willpower, and starts with the Law skill... which has an extra use for Sheriffs (undecided on specifics, but 'a'pplying it towards, say, certain creatures could be useful). Maybe also starts with Courage skill.

Athlete - Very high Strength, Toughness, and Dexterity for their race, high Willpower and Appearance, low Learning, Mana, Charisma. Normal Perception. Starts with high speed. Begins with Athletics (duh), Climbing, Dodge, First Aid, and Swimming. Gets race-based starting weapon, has trouble training up any other weapon class except that one. Similar to Barbarian regarding spells and reading. Level bonuses all focus on things like speed and physical stat training (Strength, Toughness, Dexterity, and Appearance), and related things (perhaps getting multiple hits per turn somewhere along the way).

Scholar - Extremely high Learning, but low Mana. Low physical stats, normal Charisma, high Perception and Willpower. Guaranteed to have Literacy at 100, as well as knowing Alchemy, Appraising, Detect Item Status, Gemology, Herbalism, Metallurgy, Music, and Ventriloquism. Starts with a heap of scrolls including some blank scrolls, plus a magical writing set. Can learn to cast spells, but is never particularly proficient in it (not a naturally spellcasting class). Can identify potions, scrolls, and books at sight (has to see a scroll before being able to write it, though). Sucks at melee, but is reasonable with ranged attacks. On every level up, 75% chance of the effect of a Potion of Training being applied, with other 25% having the effect of a Potion of Education. Yes, that means that this class moreso than any other could end up knowing all of the skills.

Drunkard - Call this the "ultimate challenge" class. Starts drunk with a stash of Potions of Booze. Most stats start out quite low, but Toughness is sky-high, Charisma is middling, and Mana is high. Starts with Courage, Haggling, Herbalism, and Alchemy (starts at minimal level necessary to know one recipe, guaranteed to be Potion of Booze recipe). Has reasonable chance of knowing Gardening. Has severe trouble with spellcasting, also sucks as ranged attacks. Potions of Booze give small healing effect (not much). Chatting with Yggaz results in a hilarious conversation.

Gladiator - In many ways similar to the basic Fighter, but with some key differences. First of all, the Gladiator starts out with Tactics, giving it an immediate advantage (they also get Backstabbing). The Gladiator also gets bonuses for using the Golden Gladius, and starts with a full set of armour. They do not get Swimming as a skill (unlike Fighter), and they cannot start with Archery (again, unlike Fighter). Indeed, they have a lot of problems with archery and ranged attacks - they much prefer melee. They also get more money per win in the Arena. In terms of class powers, they're focused much more on tactics and technique than on PV, DV, and attacks.

Summoner - start with the ability to "summon" (as a class power) a group of "friendly" monsters of a random type, of a level appropriate to the location. These monsters will not be companions, they will not respond to orders, but they will fight against hostile monsters. Summoners are high spellcasters like Wizards and Necromancers, in terms of those considerations, but have a spellbook-finding rate comparable to Paladins. Like Druids and Necromancers, Summoners get a starting spell - Teleportation. At a high level (either 40 or 50), they get a class power granting them teleport control. Of course, summoning isn't an action you can perform with ease - the exact effects would need to be worked out, but the idea is that summoning should be something you can only safely do once in a while. Perhaps something as simple as "summoning significantly abuses toughness, willpower, and mana" would be enough to make it something to be used only at need.

Default Just thought of some "new" ones... crude descriptions only

Alchemist - Does alchemy and other stuff that an alchemist might do
    Warlock - A Wizard that sounds more cool?
    Sorcerer - Maybe like a Wizard that works more like an Elementalist
    Sage - Not much different from Shaman, though they are not the same (can anyone tell the difference?)
    Battle Mage - A wizard that doesn't die so easy (Though there could possibly be better names for it)
    Scout - Quick and perceptive survivorman
    Nobleman - Wealthy and well equipped?
    Fisherman - Could get food where there is water and maybe throw a net that slows monsters down (Would require new things and even then, I don't know... )
    Mason - Able to make new walls from stones. (Another kinda poor idea...)
    Bountyhunter - Gets more money from bandit corpses? Maybe a bit like ranger-assassin? Haven't really much thought about it.

The main season I like the fisherman idea is that I always wanted more interaction with water.

Rivers are an awesome dungeon feature and I love them, but the way they stand in 1.1.1 is still quite unpolished. They are merely an inconvenience, a blunt roadblock for classes that cannot swim and have few other magical ways to cross. Bridge Building is completely impractical.

So yeah. Fishermen! Even some novelty interactions, like the ability to generate food from them, would make them more exciting. Perhaps even some kind of empty flask that you can fill at rivers for spring water, and maybe at pools for liquids that have variable effects based on pool color. There are more fun possibilities here than the rivers we currently know. It would also generate additional opportunities to make the survival, bridge building, and woodcraft skills useful!

I like the idea of more 'challenge' classes as well. I don't know if Mr. Biskup would spring for a drunkard due to the 'flavor' issue, but I sure would love to play one. There's already a glut of classes that are quite powerful, like the Wizard, Barbarian, Archer and Paladin, where experienced players that wish to generate some kind of win can do so off of any roll. I really am a true believer in the harsh reality of not all adventures ending well
    Last edited by LFk; 08-20-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Carpenter - This already exist in the game. Maybe bridge building would be more practical for a master carpenter. Though this made me thinking - wouldn't a boat be easier to build? Though a small boat would be very heavy to carry and you can't really fight while carrying it (though it would likely give armor bonus), you could build it closer to a forest where you cut wood and carry it then where you need it, not having to run around long distances doing it again if it fails. It could be used multiple times and get past even the vastest rivers. Though it might get damaged when using it as a shield and it would begin to sink when in water.

Clairvoyant - A special ability to know some things in advance. Also detect traps.

Watchman - I don't know is this really necessary. But some might like it. A more perceptive fighter.

Messenger - Quick. Don't know about the rest. Likely quite useless.

Just throwing more ideas in the air..
    Last edited by Arranger; 08-21-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Wrestler - Strong and tough, unarmed fighter. Think Mixed-Martial-Arts/Professional Wrestling-style grappler. Standard unarmed attack increased with level like Beastfighter - To-damage bonus is about 3/5 of a Beastfighter, but attacks twice per turn, throwing one punch with each hand. Kicking also increases with level, but is less powerful than Monks.

The first class power is the ability to grapple humanoids. Grappled monsters can't attack, struggling to escape as if caught in web. PC can't move while holding monster, and only attacks with one hand, but attacks will almost never miss. Kicking a grappled monster does extra damage, never misses, but will release the monster. Success of grapple attempt is affected by the monster's size (very large and very small monsters are more difficult), and the monster's DV. Later class powers include:
    - The ability to grapple non-humanoids
    - The ability to throw a monster you've grabbed, (damaging the thrown monster and any monster you hit. Large monsters can be thrown through doors)
    - The ability to swap places with hostile monsters
    - The ability to execute a powerful "finishing move" on grappled monsters. This attack does triple damage, but if the monster is not killed by the attack, then the PC will become stunned.
    You hear the cries of the crowd: "Freebird!! Freebird!! Freebird!!"

You play some tunes on your lute.

Got an idea of Construct (Golem) class. There is already existing monster 'race' in the game, clay, iron, steel and so on. Should be quite interesting: at first no food or drinks (exept PoOil and rust removes) and completely no health regeneration even from spells. May be an ability to consume rock and metal items for healthpoints and/or selfsmithing. Another class power, could be fire breath similar to the golem's one. I guess needed PP should be recharged with PoB (or wand consumption). As for the inventory it also may make the game interesting as all armor items may receive kind of 'locked' modifier, or even be a natural part of character body. Any found armor will be consumed and add some [+x +y] values to the corresponding part of body. there are some questions with artifacts and spells as well as corruption (Stiff muscles for golem may turn into Dirty grease while Poison hands should sounds like Fire gloves). For class powers I imagine levels similar to golem ones i.e. clay one needs rocks for health while iron and steel (6,12 lvls) are free to use iron items and selfsmith as well as obtain firebreath. Diamond golem (lvl 50) receives resistances and immunities to all elemental damage.
    Last edited by littlebrather; 08-30-2012 at 03:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This is a gameplay challenge, not an exercise in tedium.