Thread: Anyone play on a laptop without a numpad? Share your keybindings?

Hybrid View

Default Anyone play on a laptop without a numpad? Share your keybindings?

Yes, I've paid $5 for a USB numpad. But my friend who I want to get into ADOM hasn't!

So does anyone have a keybind file for use on a laptop? That enables diagonal movement etc. Called "vi mode" or "vi keys" in other roguelikes.
    ADOM, where the most commonly used letter in the alphabet is the explosive rune. - starfries

Hm, I always thought it wasn't that bad to play on the laptop's innate numlock numpad.

The keys that will be less convenient are j, k, l, u, i, o, p, which require you to hold fn or Shift+fn to access.
    However, I have already gotten so used to this that when i play on a normal keyboard, i compulsively hold the windows key when i try to access my 'i'nventory or such.

1, 3, 7, 9 on the number row. I've never done it any other way.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Silfir, isn't it a torture?

Why would it be? We all press t, Z, e, r, d and so forth all the time without having to think, why not 1, 3, 7 and 9? It would feel like torture to me to have to press more than one button just to move diagonally.

I've never done it any other way except of course when I have a numpad, which is most of the time.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I don't remember what I did when I played ADOM (probably the same), but I've simply used Page up/Page Down/Home End on my laptop keyboard along with the arrow keys. Not the most convenient, and sometimes I would forget which key did which diagonal, but it worked.
    Normal - GE Ranger, Human Monk, GE Wizard, Hurthling Beastfighter, Hurthling Farmer
    Ultra - ULE GE Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Spellweaver View Post
    Silfir, isn't it a torture?
    I've once tried to use numpad and that felt like a torture.

Ran some live tests on myself while typing this message (I'm right-handed):
    1) Left hand is much more used for more elaborate finger actions: most of the typing is performed by left hand (obviously, I'm doing it wrong for super-efficient typing techniques, but I've never trained any of them).
    2) Right hand on the other hand (yeah, that was terrible) is much more efficient in move-and-press types of action. I suspect moving from right side of letter part of the keyboard to navigation keys (arrows and page-up/page-down) has to do with this effect. That should also be connected with increased stress on left hand typing.

Now these two points clearly show why I can't use numpad for Adom and why I have no problems with 1, 3, 5, 7.

I suggest your friend checks out his keyboard habits and gives 1, 3, 5 and 7 a go before searching for ideal layout, because it could be ok for him.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

I specificly got a laptop with numpad. Not just because of ADOM. I hate writing numbers without one.
    It's too bad there are no smaller laptops with numpad, then I'd know which one to get.
    Bigger laptops don't have enough batterytime and are not as handy on trips. We should contact manufacturers
    Last edited by Arranger; 08-21-2012 at 02:28 PM.