Thread: So! Kinda Confused About The Mana Temple!

Default So! Kinda Confused About The Mana Temple!

I lost another guy there today!

Thoras, Drakeling Druid, made it so much farther than I ever thought he would!

But: What protects you from the Mage? I was wearing the Mummy Clothes, but I think his Death Bolt still was hitting me! Something was hitting me for like 200 damage!

Plus! He stat drains you! And resists elements! All of the elements? Fire for sure, and I think Ice. So, let's say I have a spellcaster who is bad at arrows. What should I do? If I go hand to hand I'll probably get wrecked! ( ) And Far away my spells won't hurt?

I'm just really confused about this guy! Do I need to wear the Ankh? My druid had some other amulet (+4,+4) and some bonus to will, that was pretty good. I'm pretty sure my Wizard and Necromancer wore the Ankh, but can't remember what my fighter wore. :/

Anyways, in other news, I am Turned Off of Druids! Bleh!
    Bad spells, bad learning, and no good abilities! Plus I don't like having to always push the ":S" to go past lame bats and stuff. It'd be nice if things like dragons, and werewolves, and stuff like that, especially spiders form Dark Elves didn't attack, but they do!

Anyways!

Thanks for reading!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    But: What protects you from the Mage? I was wearing the Mummy Clothes, but I think his Death Bolt still was hitting me! Something was hitting me for like 200 damage!
    Death rays won't kill you if you're resistant, but still deal a lot of damage. High level and Toughness pay off here.

A popular strategy is to learn Acid Ball (druids call this spell Rain of Sorrow, which frankly is a much cooler name), get your Wi to 32+, then blind him with a cursed potion of invisibility and acid ball him to death outside of melee range. He's not immune to acid, and doesn't fight fairly, so why should you?

The ankh is nice, although at this point you will have lucky and Fate smiles intrinsically, and I'm not sure of how much having extra Luck really helps against the Archmage. If you lack a torch, you will want to wear an amulet of light instead.
    "And light there be!"

Normally it is best to try to pull the Archmage into the corridor. This isn't easy though as there are a lot of monsters. Casting darkness helps, as most of them can't see in the dark, and (I believe) the summoners will mostly not summon. Just take it off now and then to check the archmage's position. If you happen to be able to get a point of PP or two, use a wand of far slaying to activate him as soon as you can.

Once he's in the corridor (or at least somewhere fairly convenient), hit him with a potion of confusion or wonder. This will prevent him from casting spells. If you're good with missiles, humanoid or daemon slayers will help. Otherwise, go in for the kill with the Rune Covered Trident or another daemon/humanoid slaying weapon if you have something better. If he starts casting again, reapply confusion right away. Hand-to-hand combat with him is safe enough if he's confused--he can hit pretty hard, but nothing potion of extra healing can't take care of.

Oh, and the amulet you're talking about with [+4,+4] {+7 Wi} is Preserver. It is much better than the ankh.

[edit]For divine casters like priests and druids, Rain of Sorrows (acid ball) is definitely worth a wish as they have a very hard time finding the spell otherwise.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Keeping in mind if he is playing 1.2.0 Acid ball will be considerably less effective as the + modifier doesn't work on that version.

Gah! I had all those things!

Well, not Acid Ball, but I had a wish in my backpack! D:
    Plus, Drakelings can spit acid! I didn't think about it!

What happened was, I had no Detect Traps Wand, or Detect Traps Skill!

So I left my stuff on the floor, then walked around the place getting roughed up! Then the fight happened and I went Kaput!

>_<

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    So, let's say I have a spellcaster who is bad at arrows. What should I do? If I go hand to hand I'll probably get wrecked! ( ) And Far away my spells won't hurt?
    get better because in the current version your ball spells are greatly reduced in effectiveness as they don't have any guaranteed damage. Or confuse him and whack him.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    get better because in the current version your ball spells are greatly reduced in effectiveness as they don't have any guaranteed damage.
    I wonder if that's intentional.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    I wonder if that's intentional.
    I don't think so.

Lost a decent level Wizard in the bug temple after forgetting about that little feature. The bugs surrounding didn't go down because i got some bad rolls. Bolt spells are still as OP as ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    get better because in the current version your ball spells are greatly reduced in effectiveness as they don't have any guaranteed damage. Or confuse him and whack him.
    May want to put in a bug report about this...
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.